LG 42LY95 vs LG 42LG5000 vs SONY 40V4000

karoloydi

Established Member
Reaction score
I really don't know what to choose from those ones. I am looking for a 1080p lcd for my pc.
My budget is a bit tight, so those are the most affordable 40"+ 1080p lcds that I could find.
I like the LG5000 because its design is beautiful and its the most recent model of the three. But I have read some bad reviews, especially about motion blur and the intelligent sensor.
The LG 42LY95 is the cheapest of them all and I haven't read any bad reviews about it. Only about the 24p funtion, but I ve read bad reviews about the 24p for most of the tvs out there. But it won't win any beauty contest, if you know what I mean.
The Sony 40V4000 seems to have the best picture quality, but I have read compalints about motion blur. And its also the smallest and the most expensive of the three. And its a bit on the ugly side, like the 42LY95.
So far I am leaning towards the LG 42LY95. But my wife wants the LG5000What do you think?

Last edited:
overally the sony is clearly better than both LG on all aspects

I just went to currys. Saw the Sony 40V4000 and the LG 42LG5010. I am really confused, When I was reading the reviews, the sony was better than LG. But when I saw it with my own eyes, the blurring from the sony was a lot worse and the colors from the sony looked a bit faded. I guess the colors are not a big problem cause you can calibrate the panel, but the blurring is what I am worrying about.
When I was there I saw the Samsung LE40A565 and I was really impressed. It looked better than any of the other panels I saw in currys. But I ve read of a problem with interference.
I also saw the Sony 40v4500 that looked as good as the samsung, but the price was too high for my budget.

hmm not a surprise as after a currys visit you are always coming more confused,very poor set ups and currys promotes some brands more than others

I went for the sammy.
Initially I bought it from pixmania. After 1 hour I realised they were based in France. Cancelled immediately. Next morning 09:00am I called to cance l over the phone as well. 09:30am I received an email that my order has been dispatched. I immediately called them asking them what going on. They said there's nothing to worry about. 14:00 I received an email saying that the order was already dispatched and I ll have to refuse delivery when they try to deliver to me. It sounds like a big scam to me so that they can hold on my money for as long as they can. Hope they wont try to charge the delivery to me, cause its gonna be a long thing going to French Court and I paid with debit card, so I have no protection.
I went to richer sounds after that thinking that they can give me a zero % finance for a couple of months until I get my refund. from pixmania. I was very disappointed with the sales staff there. The LE40A656 was out of stock and they were trying to convince me that the LE686 had better picture quality than the 656. Then I saw their own brocure saying that the only difference is cosmetic. Went straight out the store. Then I called some other branches. Same story. 656 out of stock but 686 has better picture quality!
Bought it from empire direct with 9 months zero %. Waiting patiantly.

Strange! All the talk about LG and Sony ending up with Sammy!. Hope you dont have any issues with bugs, otherwise, i noticed it next to a W4210 and it was a panning shot on both. Clearly the A656 was having smoother motion while W4210 had a lot of judders.

All the best with your new set:smashin:

lol. Yeah. I was planning to buy LG os SONY. Then, when I went to currys and I saw the samsung it was like love at first sight.
Hope my troubles are over! I ll update the firmware when I get it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom