Lg 42lw550t optical connectivity to old AV amp

maximum

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi I recently got my lg 42lw550t and decided to hook it up to my old (5 yrs old) Sony de6865 amp via an optical lead (no hdmi connections).

If I have the amp set to auto for input signal bu All I get is 2.1 sound.
So my full setup is lg tv, Virginmedia v+ connected via hdmi to tv and the amp connected to tv via optical.

Should I be expecting any true surround sound from the Optical out on the Tv whose sounds originates from the V+ box on HDMI?

The sound isn't to bad actually and I can force the amp to provide 5.1.

Hi.
At least with my LG TV, have to turn the TV speakers off in the audio menu before it'll pass DD5.1.
--
Regards, Iain.

maximum said:
Hi I recently got my lg 42lw550t and decided to hook it up to my old (5 yrs old) Sony de6865 amp via an optical lead (no hdmi connections).

If I have the amp set to auto for input signal bu All I get is 2.1 sound.
So my full setup is lg tv, Virginmedia v+ connected via hdmi to tv and the amp connected to tv via optical.

Should I be expecting any true surround sound from the Optical out on the Tv whose sounds originates from the V+ box on HDMI?

The sound isn't to bad actually and I can force the amp to provide 5.1.

Try changing the Digital Audio out setting on the Audio setup menu to Auto. I am sure mine was set to PCM, as soon as it was set to Auto it would pass through the DD signal to the amp (you need to ensure the channel is actually encoded using DD though when you test.

Thanks
Simon

Hi.
At least with my LG TV, have to turn the TV speakers off in the audio menu before it'll pass DD5.1.
--
Regards, Iain.

Cheers, will try this.
I have also set the Audio to Auto from PCM but the amp doesn't play out dd5.1, just pro logic.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom