• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

LG 42LV3500. Is a firmware update a reliable fix to this issue (lines)?

dkc500

Novice Member
Hi all. I bought an LG LED TV recently, the 42LV3500. After about a half hour, horizontal lines appeared on the screen, as seen:

42LV3500 - Imgur

The lines are darker on the right side of the screen. I carried it back to the vendor and they were initially going to either replace it (which will take long to ship back and forth) or I'd pay the difference for a higher model. Today they claimed that a firmware update resolved the issue. I haven't found any info online with respect to this specific problem being resolved by a firmware update. Does anyone have any experience with something similar to this? I'm uncertain if this is a reliable fix. Thanks!

wad

Established Member
simple if they claim it is fixed and then fails again later on then its replacement time, they can do 3 things 1 fix the issue 2 replace the unit or 3 refund, and they done 1, take it from there. Our brand new tv had issues, a firmware up date fixed it not looked back since, that was 7 months ago.

dkc500

Novice Member
simple if they claim it is fixed and then fails again later on then its replacement time, they can do 3 things 1 fix the issue 2 replace the unit or 3 refund, and they done 1, take it from there. Our brand new tv had issues, a firmware up date fixed it not looked back since, that was 7 months ago.

thanks for the feedback. what was the specific issues with yours that the firmware update resolved? What I am looking at is that a firmware is not the proper fix for that issue, that it may resolve it for a while, and then later on down the road after warranty ends, the issue returns.

I don't know how exactly it would work with a TV. My only reference for this is PCs, where sometimes a format or a firmware update can temporarily resolve an issue, but the cause really is an underlying hardware issue, and it eventually returns.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom