• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

LG 42LH5000 LCD TV gets 5 stars from 'What Hi-Fi?'

Member 300569

Hiya,

What Hi-Fi? Sound & Vision have just given the LG 42LH5000 LCD TV 5 stars, citing it as "Elegant and good value - a quality TV at a sensible price"

10540-lg42lh5000img4.jpg

"The LH5000
is extensively equipped. You won’t find wi-fi or widgets, but there are four HDMIs and a media-friendly USB input.

Setup is reassuringly simple
LG has put a lot of effort into making this outwardly complex set easy to use. Onscreen menus are clean and intuitive, and a built-in Picture Wizard guides you through the basics of picture optimization.

And performance is very good. It's a little lacking in black areas of the image, perhaps, but in other aspects, it’s as lively and punchy as it is sharp and noiseless.

Valkyrie’s starkly lit drama is eye-catchingly crisp, its occasional bursts of frenetic motion relayed with polished assurance.
"

none12345

Standard Member
And they gave 3 stars to the 42LH7000 which except the 200mhz is pretty much the same TV if not better for some aspects.

Double standards?

Monarch

Distinguished Member
What's even worse is that they gave te 32LH7000 (exactly the same as the 42LH7000 apart from the size) 5 stars.

Well done and all but I don't think what hi-fi should be taken as a credible source, I think the trusted reviews review is better, 8/10 is still very good - LG 42LH5000 42in LCD TV Review - TV Reviews - TrustedReviews

Monarch

Distinguished Member
I'd consider one of the 100Hz models such as the LH7000 personally, the LH7000 specifically has better black levels which you may find useful, I don't think you'd necessarily make use of the 200Hz system unless you watch a lot of sports

CrazyMonkyBoy

Standard Member
I'd consider one of the 100Hz models such as the LH7000 personally, the LH7000 specifically has better black levels which you may find useful, I don't think you'd necessarily make use of the 200Hz system unless you watch a lot of sports

sorry i dont really like that sort of look on a tv, the massive underhang is annoying, so i think ill probs goto curry's in a minute and have a look at some more lg tv,s that have 100hz(as referred to) my only concern is that if i have the tv in a bigger size that usually makes the picture spread to much, now my room isn't exactly massive but a 42" - 47" would look perfect in their, im having a custom media unit made for the lot, if you would like to see the designs, then mesage me but i wuld have to draw it up on microsoft paint or something. im not rich so id prefer the tv to be around the 700 mark, of which i think is reasonable for a tv, i'd prefer to have a lcd because i watch a lot of movie's mainly when friends come ova, all input is welcome as i only have two more days until my room is complete and i kinda wanted to have the stuff in room made around tv leaving around 2-3" either side's to look smooth, but back to problem, i never stop talking :p

Monarch

Distinguished Member
Well it might still be worth considering the LH5000 over the LH4000 but I'm not sure how black levels/user controls compare between them. For watching movies plasmas are generally considered better though, and they have wide viewing angles which is good if a lot of people are watching, and the 42PQ6000 can be had for only £517!

Anyway, look at the LH4000 and LH5000, I haven't seen them together so can't really say which is best for what, but they're probably the LCD models to look at if you don't like the look of the LH7000

J4CK DANIELS

personally i prefer the LH4000 over the 5000 and also bear in mind you can only get the 5000 from Currys.... at the moment Currys are selling the LH5000 (42") for £50 LESS than their 42LH4000!!??.... (£749)

breal

Standard Member
I assume the LH5000 is the better screen for gaming as it offers the lowest response time. I certainly don't complain on my 42LH5000 in combination with xbox 360. Dead Space, for example, looked amazing.

Monarch

Distinguished Member
I don't know actually, seeing as that response time is only really effective with the 200Hz system turned on, which could add to input lag and artefacts...I think this is where sensetivity to input lag and artefacts comes into play! Not bad at all though!

CrazyMonkyBoy

Standard Member
personally i prefer the LH4000 over the 5000 and also bear in mind you can only get the 5000 from Currys.... at the moment Currys are selling the LH5000 (42") for £50 LESS than their 42LH4000!!??.... (£749)
so you have to pay more to get less in currys then basically:rolleyes:, theyre pretty darn stupid, but anyways, im going into newport with mum tomorrow and im owed quite a bit of money so, ill tell you tomorrow if i get it or not, i cant wait for tomorrow now :p:smashin:thanks for input guys very helpfull

grigore

Standard Member
hy to all...i got the 47` lh5000 already 2 month now and i use it whit my laptop acer aspire 7736zg via hdmi cable...was wondering if i can se the full hd image if my video card is not on full hd output but hd only (geforce g210m)i have many documentary movie in bluray, i even have one that has 88gb it is called `south pacific` and i wanna know if what i`m seeing on my tv is the full hd version or not becaouse of my vga adapter?! my resolution is set at max 1080p on my desktop! and want to know if when i`m on the hdmi input from my laptop i cannot use some of the image setting from tv menu like true motion, rel cinema and other settings from the advance menu settings! thank u all and i am sory for my bad english!
p.s i`ve read till page 11 of this thread but i can not do it anymore i`m tired! :D

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom