LG 42LH3000 vs LG 42PQ6000

amit

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if I'm posting my question in correct forum as I only just joined AV but as it's LG I think I should be ok here.

I want to buy a TV and I'm not to clued up on comparing specs. These are the two I am considering. The LG 42LH3000 vs LG 42PQ6000

I can't decide between the two? I was more an LCD fan but like the idea of the USB divx feature in the PQ6000 Plasma.

However, more importantly, would like help to choose the best for picture viewing between the two.

I wont be using it for any gaming, very rare with blue ray. More so, just every day Virgin Media straight forward viewing.

If anyone knows of any other model worth considering around the £500 mark please let me know.

Thanks in advance, Amit

I'd go for the PQ6000 over the LH3000 for those uses at first glance, plasmas deal with standard definition sources very well, especially SD TV which is plagued with problems! LCDs become better choices often more for practical reasons such as when it's being used for long gaming sessions, news channels or something like that. But the other time when plasmas aren't really appropriate (and when LCDs are at their best) is when the lighting in the room is very bright, in bright lighting plasmas appear washed out and a bit dull, but LCDs thrive in this environment (but suffer slightly in darker conditions), so what's the lighting in the room going to be like?

ISF Calibration on the LH3000 does not make it much better than it already is, as the screen lacks viewabilities from many angles and quality of picture changes according to ISF calibration giving a much lighter picture.

Doing the same on a PQ6000 series, gives you much more value and quite good results with isf calibration.

based on those tests, a PQ6000 would be the best choice although its only 720p native.

(PS LH3000 does indeed handle better divx and mkv's than PQ6000, it just needs some tricks to fix)

Hi there,

I really appreciate the comments from you guys. I'm going to purchase the 42PQ6000 on Wednesday, as per your recommendations, seems good value for £500!

If there's any other model anyone thinks I should consider please let me know.

Again, thanks for taking the time to advise me.

Kindest Regards, Amit

If there's any other model anyone thinks I should consider please let me know.

The PQ6000 is about as good as it gets for your uses unless you want to spend several hundred more. Hope all goes well with it :thumbsup:

Hi Everyone,

I've bought the LG 42PQ6000. The tv seems great value for the money!

However, I find details in the picture not very clear, sometime seeing pixels. I've kept the picture settings to 50 for now as per the advice of 100hours to run it in!

Again, a real Thank You to you guys for you help:thumbsup:

Have a good Day!

Kind Regards, Amit

However, I find details in the picture not very clear, sometime seeing pixels.

:eek: How close are you sat? To actually see the pixels you need to be pretty close...or have bionic vision :D

Hi, sorry to hijack the thread but I'm looking for some advice on the same question.

My uses are slightly different in that I have Sky+HD and a PC hooked up to my TV as a blu-ray player - don't watch that many BluRay movies just yet but that's going to change as I start to buy more BluRays instead of DVDs.

Sky+ HD is obviously only 720p but BluRays are 1080p so that pushes me towards the LCD. However, I'm told that the plasma has better sound and that at 42" you don't really notice the difference between 1080 and 720. Is that right? I'm going to be sitting about 7ft from the screen so don't know if I'll see the difference that much.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Sat that distance away I wouldn't be concerned about 1080p, unless you have bionic vision! But anyway, looking at other aspects of the picture you can see that the plasma has other advantages, mainly in the black levels and motion handling, which are noticeable and far more beneficial to overall picture quality in my opinion, so I'd go for that.

Just be aware of static images on channels and if you use the PC for general internet browsing/PC use, image retention is a potential issue, although after a short period it shouldn't be a problem unless you have static images on screen for hours at a time.

I would also be aware that the new models are just around the corner, they'll be starting to make an appearance next month. I'm not sure about the prices but you could end up paying a similar amount and getting a better TV. The PJ350 or the PJ550 will probably be the ones you look at, or of course there are several LCD TVs to look at as well. There's a summary of all of the new models here where it labels the key features- http://www.avforums.com/forums/lg-owners-forum/1212857-summary-lg-2010-tvs.html

Thanks for the info Monarch. I'll hold fire until the new models are released and see what's available then. By the sounds of it thought plasma is the way to go.

Cheers for the speedy reply and very useful information :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom