LG 42LH3000 5.1 surround help

Tdonnelly3

Standard Member
Hi everyone, i have an lg 42lh3000 and have purchased a bluray player, i was hoping to connect the bluray player to my dvd/home cinema

The bluray player has a digital coaxial output and the dvd player only has a optical in, does anybody know if i run a digital optical cable from my tv to the input on the dvd player will that carry the 5.1 from the bluray player?

If not, i have seen a coax/optical converter, anyone know if they are any good?

Thanks in advance for any help

StevieBuck

Generally, no. Routing the audio through the TV like that usually only give you stereo audio.

The converter is probably your best option. I've read a few posts on here where people have mentioned using them without any issues, but I haven't used one myself.

Tdonnelly3

Standard Member
I have been told that some tvs will pass through 5.1 audio, was just wondering if anyone knew if mine was one of them?

StevieBuck

You're in the perfect position to test that out for yourself I'd have thought? The only other thing you need to try it out with is an optical cable. You'll need one of those regardless of whether you connect through the TV or with a coaxial/optical adaptor.

Some TVs are capable of passing through 5.1 Dolby Digital signals. However, I don't know of any sets that can pass through DTS audio. Most Blu-rays use DTS audio.

Hence, the only time I recommend using a TV's audio out is when you want to play audio from it's internal tuner through your speaker system, or for passing audio through the TV from external sources that only have stereo audio.

Top Bottom