LG 42 PX3RVA- Phono Cable noise problem

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by minimax, Oct 15, 2005.

1. minimax

minimax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I try to connect phono cables to any of my AV inputs I get a buzzing noise over the speakers. The noise increases as volume is increased. Is this a problem with my particular plasma or is there any other cause. Any ideas folks?? :lease:

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I presume you've got the other end connected to an audio source and not the hoover? Have you got anything else to test with, an amp to try it on? Another TV with audio in? Do you hear anything except buzz? If you hear the program but with buzz added, almost certainly the plasma is faulty.

3. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Most likely the plasma is OK:)
    What are you trying to connect? Signal from the Plasma with phono cable or you are trying to get signal into the plasma with phono?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Most likely it's wrongly connected, agreed.

5. minimax

minimax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My digital TV box ("Chorus" here in Ireland) is connected to the Plasma via Phono leads. The TV is wall-mounted so the installer used phonos so he could feed them through the wall to keep them hidden. The DVD player is connected through the digital box. The buzzing noise is apparent when TV/DVD programmes are on. The installer came out again to look at the problem and found the buzzing noise was occuring even when the phono leads were not connected to anything at the other end! We also used a Scart adapter with no effect. He is to return with more expensive cables to see if that helps.

6. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Well that is a bit strange way to connect the things to your plasma-however I have no such problem-I have two rca for sound from my DVD(the pic is with component) and no noise at all.
    Do you mean that the TV box is connected with 3 phono leads???
    If you need this kind of connection why not just a full scart from the set-up box?

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Connected with composite by the sound of it too!! Does the buzzing happen when the leads are disconnected from the plasma? Is it both channels? Have you any other phonos you can plug in and try?

8. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    You can also try to connect phonos on the left side of the panel-av5-and switch the TV to AV5 and see are you getting noise.

9. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Dear god...scrap the phono connections immediately if you can...you should really use SCART, i.e. from DVD to SAT box via SCART and from the SAT box to the Plasma via SCART too...as for noise, are you plugging the yellow connector into the yellow socket??? Maybe you are trying to connect video output into audio input??? this can happen soemtimes if you don't pay attention to what you are doing...using SCART would not introduce such mistakes...though...I'm a SCART lobist, BTW...Cheers...

10. minimax

minimax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Stainway, the TV set-top box is connected via 3 phono leads. We did not use a Scart cable because the connectors obviously could not fit through the concrete wall and plasterboard wiring path. We did try AV5 with no change.

Maw: the buzzing does appear when the cables are not connected. The noise is from L and R speakers. We used other cables with similar effects.

Kalos: I take your point about Scarts but as I explained above, they would not go through the wall. Also, using a Scart adapter I have the same noise problem.

Thanks for your interest and suggestions guys.

11. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136

12. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    humm.... I just did try my LG with phono cables (sound only ) on AV4-no noise at all-however I don’t know what will happen when you plug the yellow one too. Maybe you have some sort of Electro Magnetic Interference. I hope that the plasma is grounded electrical. Do you have some Dect phone around or something that can cause this Buzz?

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Kalos, scart is a horrid connector to work with, that's why so many wall mounted plasmas are connected with component video, it's a 3 phono video only connection, we fit the phonos after threading the cable.
    Minimax, if I read you right, and the plasma buzzes with nothing connected, I reckon it's faulty. For the future, something I use to get around the scart plug problem is a 'scart 4 phono adapter' RGB and sync, one of those at each end connected with 4 phono leads.