1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG 42 PX3RV - Does anyone have any opinions please?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by minimax, Aug 4, 2005.

1. minimax

minimax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in Ireland and this LG has recently arrived in the shops. I am trying to decide whether to buy or not. Its predecessor (the RZ42PX11) got good reviews from what home cinema etc. I am a novice at this lark. Any advice folks?

2. paul071

paul071

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey,

I've seen the new LG plasmas in the shops too..Well, in my eyes they deliver nice, clean and sharp picture if fed with Pal DVD and hidef signals. I've seen the latter variant yesterday - they had a hidef signal source PC connected via component adapter to the PX4RVB. I am still not getting the difference between the PX3 and PX4 RVA/RVB models - LG does not mention them on their web site at all, although you can buy them in the shops everywhere... The only review which seem to be related to the new PX4 series can be found HERE! However, it is a U.S. model with HD panel while the european PX3 and PX4 models are still available with SD panels only...

3. minimax

minimax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many Thanks Paul, it looks like it will take a while before the reviewers get around to the 42PX3RV.

4. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90

Hey,
    First post from me at this great forum,
    I've got this plasma (42PX3RV) 2 days ago. In one word-WOW!
    I am very pleased with it
    I am living in Holland and here this model is very well rated in the customers’ reviews.
    The differences between PX3 and 4 are small-I mailed LG to ask:pX3RV has two tuners and PIP (and that is working also with two sources eg.av+component etc..) Here they sell also PX3RVA-this one has one tuner and silver finish and then you have PX4RV witch is the same as 3rv but has intelligent eye-it change the contrast depending on the light in the room, but I don’t like some other eye to take the control over the contrast:)
    In Holland is sold with 2 years warranty at home from LG-expected life is 60 000 hours and consummates only 250W.

5. minimax

minimax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Stainway,Why did you pick the lg42px3rv above say the philips5230 or other similar models? Hope you dont mind the question.

6. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hi minimax,
    Well I went to a big electronics shop and saw all the models with the same signal. For my eyes the best was one Pioneer (not sure about the model) but it was far above my budged. Then next option was Panny PV 500, but again almost twice the price of the LG.I was looking for plasma around €2000 and the LG was giving the best picture for me. Also the inputs of the LG are above the competitions-3 scarts, DVI, HDMI S-Video etc...I saw all of them also connected with signal from euro1080 (the HD channel on Astra1) and the LG being a SD panel was showing a great picture (with downscaling of course).I don’t know Philips 5230-I know 42PF5320 from Philips and the PQ is far not so good for my taste. At the end I had to decide between Panasonic th-42pa50 and LG 42PX3-4RV.The price was same, but I liked the picture of the LG better (and also the inputs).The LG is real new model -from may 2005 and I think the guys from LG have had serious revision over the old px11.Not the most important maybe but the power consummation of the LG is the lowest in this group-some Philips are 400-450 Watts.
    Anyway buying a TV is a personal job-you must like it and not buy it because others say so_Ofcourse I did lots of research on the net, this forum etc....,but at the end you have to believe your eyes.
    If you have any questions-will be happy to help.

7. pjd@nl

pjd@nl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Stainway,

Odd, but I had had exactly the same opinion. I also live in Holland and have been browsing forums and shops for the last couple of months. I suspect HD is a long way down the road here, so I've decided upon SD (or is it ED?) Plasma, and also narrowed it down to 2:

42PA50
    42PX3RV

I have seen the PA50 with decent feed - impressive (once everything is toned down from the default settings).
    May I ask if the PX3RV handles sports (i.e. footy) and skin tones well, oh and what's the sound like (don't want to listen to everything via the HC)?
    Many thanks in advance.

8. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hi Pjd@nl,
    I guess you have read the opinions at www.kieskeurig.nl ? See also for px4rv-they are same PQ.Well about footy I am not into it,but yesterday I was watching almost 1/2 an hour footy-only because the picture was so great-there are no delay in the pic. Or blocking. I guess you need also decent signal-I have sat.receiver, but digital television from the cable it will also do very nice. You can see the LG at the Mediamarkt,Block and It's I think-they may have the px4rv,but PQ is the same. I did order mine from internet-see the prices at kieskeurig.nl .About the skin tones-for my eyes they look very realistic. I had very decent 28" JVC InteriArt 100hzh TV(3 years old) and this plasma is looking even more sharp and vivid. The sound of the speakers is ok for watching TV-There is also SRS and BBE ,but for watching DVD you need of course Home Cinema set. I think the film filter makes the difference with the PA 50 so you don’t get reflections of the normal glass filter and a bit red out of a white letter for example. Anyway I am again very happy with the LG and the inputs are impressive-there are 2 full scarts and 1 which can't handle RGB signal and RGB,HDMI,S-Video etc.+ that the LG is HD compatible. But once again I just liked the Picture and the inputs of the LG better,you can get the Panny for the same money,or even less.I should go to a shop where they have both and just try to see them with the same source signal and same settings or play with the settings a bit and decide.

9. pjd@nl

pjd@nl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Stainway,

Glad to hear the footy images were great! My Loewe Planus went belly up, so I'm looking for an image just as good!
    I have indeed read all the (positive) reviews on the "Kieskeurig" site and I will be popping in to Media Markt to check both screens out for myself.
    All those inputs on the LG are awfully tempting!
    For those interested this is what the TV could look like in your home! (it's actually a PX12, but looks very similar to the PX3RV).

http://my.hifi.nl/index.php?user=762

This is in fact a useful site for those who like to view set-ups (apologies if it's been mentioned before)!

Thanks Stainway and to everyone else on this excellent forum.

10. awall8312

awall8312
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently bought the LG 42PX3RV from Curry's (UK). The TV is fed by my Sky+ box and the picture is really sharp so am very please with it.
    One big problem though....I cannot find a code for the Sky+ remote control so I'm having to use 2 remote controls. Not the end of the world I know but when you've been used to using only one it gets a little irratating. I've checked all over the net, spoken to Curry's, Sky and LG customer service (excellant service very helpful and willing people - shame they didn't have the answer though). Sky gave me a long list of numbers but none did the trick.
    So here I am begging and praying that somebody out there has got the code and is able to share it.
    I live in hope.

Many thanks,
    Andy :lease:

11. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hi awall8312,
    Well I don't have Sky+ box (living in Holland),but you can always get one universal remote control (with learn function),so you can get all the Hi-fi and TV and Dvd and sat etc . with one remote The cheapest here is Philips SBC RU 865.,but there are also much nicer options like Philips Pronto etc..

Anyway if you haven't yet maybe try this ones:

LG Codes: 065 244 405 318 037 398 191 459 245 389 080 275 060 0742

Enjoy your new TV !

12. minimax

minimax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for opinions guys. I was told in the shop that the LG42PX3RVA contrast ratio is 10000:1 but the LG website says 1000:1. However the older px11 was 5000:1. Could they really have decreased the contrast ratio??

13. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hi minimax,
    I think there is a mistake on the LG UK web site. In the Dutch one it says 10000:1 : http://nl.lge.com/prodmodeldetail.d...Id=01&modelCodeDisplay=42PX3RV&model=NOTHING#

Anyway you can e mail LG and ask them I am sure they will answer you quickly (at least they did to my question about the differences between px3 and px4)

px11 is old model and it looks not that good in PQ as the new once-maybe due the new XD engine.

14. borut

borut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about DVI connector on that model? :confused:

15. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Well there is a HDMI input that can be used with DVI output-you need to get HDMI to DVI cable,or you can use the VGA input (rgb) with dvi to vga connector

16. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the input guys.

My dad is likely to get this model.

Koing

17. borut

borut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am deciding between Philips 42 PF5320 and LG 42PX3RVA. Price for both is same here in Slovenia. It is really hard decision. Anyone has any comment, reccomendation....?

18. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hi borut,
    I have the LG 42PX3RV and I am very happy with it-PQ is great, inputs are impressive-The Philips has only one scart with RGB-the LG has two.
    And what is very strange I don’t see any component input on the Philips?!?
    The Philips uses 450watts -the LG only 250 watts.And you should check what is the standard warranty for the Philips-here in Holland is only one year, but the LG is with two years.
    Hope that this will help you.

19. minimax

minimax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mistake on the UK LG site confirmed by LG Customer Service. Contrast ratio is definitely 10000:1.

20. Paul_uk74

Paul_uk74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has nobody found a sky remote code yet?

21. awall8312

awall8312
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsdow
    Having spent many hours trying to sort this .... still no joy I'm afraid. LG gave me all their Sky codes as well as the codes under their old trading name of Goldstar, no luck there!! Spoke to Sky and tried all their codes, no joy. Only advice I got from Sky was to keep checking back with them as they are constantly adding new codes. I even tried speaking with the manufacturers of All 4 One remote controls and guess what they hadn't any alternative numbers to those I'd already tracked down and tried.
    If I ever do track down a number I will post and if anyone has an alternative solution I'd be only too please to hear it.
    :mad: