1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lg 42 plasma and dvi signal drop outs

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by terryok, Oct 21, 2005.

1. terryok

terryok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi am running an lg plasma 42 (sorry model escapes me) and a lg 9900 hdmi
    dvd. I am using a monster converter hdmi to dvi with the standard dvi cable which comes with the tv. Now :cool: dvd output set at 1080i I have a supposedly hd (divimax) version of halloween region 2 and am finding every now and again a "no signal" on tv followed by millions of coloured dots ?? picture normally returns to what is a pretty good image, any idears anyone
    p.s region 1 miami vice fine

2. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    And if you set the DVD to output 720p?

3. terryok

terryok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    er not sure will try

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    This is typicl of digital signals that are not well connected, or running on an over long or poor quality cable. I'd be the last to suggest you spend hundreds on a digital video cable, but buying 1 cable, DVI to HDMI would be good. No joints, adapters or anything. And that also ditches the LG cable, which I have a feeling is probably built down to a price!

5. colindale

colindale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (DIG)?

Sorry to tell you Mr Maw, LG only supply a power cable with thier plasma's. :nono:

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Apart from Terrys then, read it, Colin. Maybe things are different in UK, or maybe your only purpose here is to irritate?

7. terryok

terryok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks for your help am going to change to a one piece cable and ditch adapter,
    and yes did get a dvi cable with lg plasma its naff white in colour ?? but looks to have gold contacts !!

8. colindale

colindale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everytime you make an unqualified dig at LG I will correct you. :smashin:

9. colindale

colindale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Did it come in the plasma box or did Terry's supply it??

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Colin, no dig at LG, the crappiest company in UK, is unjustified. And you are not technically qualified to comment, your lack of knowlege is embarrassing.

11. eternaldark

eternaldark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Just thought I'd point out I also got a DVI cable included in the LG box

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Was it a high quality dual link one, or the equivalent of those horrid phono leads that even Denon give you to connect a £1k DVD player? That's the norm in the av business, I think they are in league with the after market cable makers LOL! I got one with the LG TV I use as a monitor, like a bit of liquorice it is! I can't see why Colin has got on his LG high horse over this, anyone using connectors supplied with their kit should take note, no matter what make it is, universally they are bin fodder.

13. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Could be the DVD player, as terryok said that region 1 Miami vice was fine-if is faulty cable why should work with region 1 DVD and not with region 2?

14. Mindvox

Mindvox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree that it's not recommended to use bundled interconnects with any piece of equipment if you are serious about the best quality.

Maw mentioned the interconnects provided by Denon with £1k DVD players, and I can see why that was brought up. My Denon DVD2900 was £900 (with multi-region DVD Rom upgrade disc) and I was shocked at some of the bundled interconnects, although thankfully I already had set aside Cambridge Audio scart and audio interconnects for DVD/SA-CD/DVD Audio use.

Since getting my Plasma I've upgraded my DVD to connect via Component (my previous set, a 51" Toshiba Rear Projection) didn't support it. For this I'm using IXOS interconnects, although the Cambridge Audio ones are still in use for SA-CD/CD/DVD Audio.

I think this kind of debate is similar to the one regarding cheap Scart vs expensive Scart. Some people cannot see the difference and will happily use a £15 cable over an £80 one. Others, like myself, spend money on more expensive interconnects because we can see the differences and because we realise that for the hike in price comes a hike in quality, but again it depends on your ability to notice the fine differences and therefore justify the cost to yourself.

Personally, I say each to their own and whatever makes someone happy with their equipment is their call. But I know where certain people are coming from in slamming the quality of bundled interconnects with AV equipment.

15. colindale

colindale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (You dont know me!)

At least I actually own a plasma, which you have admitted you do not, you borrow one, carting it back and forth from your place of work must be a bind.
    ( one should not supply information that would incriminate oneself. )

Your the one who makes an idiot of himself by the comments you continually make. :lesson:

You have just confirmed it by your latest statement!. :thumbsdow

16. colindale

colindale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ???I am using a monster converter hdmi to dvi with the standard dvi cable which comes with the tv.??

Two into one can cause trouble.

Maw should read this carefully! :lesson:

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Stainway, I agree it could be the player, it's just that he'd be better with a new cable anyway, and about £20 would cover that, my mentioning bundled interconnects was not intended to spark a high end cable debate, I'm actually not a believer in £500 cables, not at all. Good enough is my motto, and with a digital cable, just a clean signal is enough. They really don't like adapters and extenders though, and I do not use the LG supplied cable I have because of dropouts and sparklies, sure signs of a duff cable. Of course it could simply be broken, but if so it broke really easily.

18. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    sorry but my lg also came with a 10metre vga cable and a 10metre dvi cable outta the box.

the force is strong with maw

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    10m is pushing it with a decent cable, that's brave of them to supply it! My PJ is connected with a 10m DVI, a top quality dual link job, it makes a difference with long ones. Typical symptons of dodgy cable (digital) are white or coloured dots/sparkles, and 'no signal' dropouts for a second or 2 at a time.

20. colindale

colindale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

21. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Colin, this thread was never meant to be an argument about what LG supply in the box, and most of us don't give a damn. Fact: low quality DVI cable could cause signal dropout, and no maker I know supplies decent interconnects, this is not a slight on LG, if I wanted to trash them I'd do it better. Fact 2: all extra connections, like adapters contibute to the poor connection problem, that's what I said in my 1st, relevant, post on the subject. Suggesting someone has a poor cable does not need to descend into a pro/anti LG sniping match, it's not constructive. We all know where you stand, and where a large number of UK customers of LG stand. Yes, there are people who are happy, I'm pleased for them. Now let's just get on with the problems in hand?

22. colindale

colindale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :suicide:

I still find it hard to believe, they supplied 20 metres of cables, as you have said long cables can cause problems, it's illogical for LG to do so.

Over and OUT!

23. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345

24. colindale

colindale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

25. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    i agree but sometimes u cant minimise cable runs

26. terryok

terryok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    still having problems even after ditching adapter and lg cable , brought a cheap maplins £29.99 hdmi to dvi cable and think worse is solution is a £100 cable :(

27. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Shouldn't be, I bought a 3m JVC hdmi-dvi cable for 15 quid and it works fine.

More likely your player is having problems rather than your cables.... try setting it up on another display, preferably at the shop you got it so you can get an exchange unit if it is faulty. You could then see the new one working before taking it home!!

28. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Definitely, a £30 cable will work just fine. The lack of a wireworld label is not the problem then. It's a possibility that the player you have is not faulty, and simply 'does not like' the display. Just as a forwarning though, this is unlikely, as LGs usually accept anything thrown at them. Haing eliminated the cable, which was poor anyway, it must be a fault in the player or the display. Have you got a mate you can borrow a player from?

29. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    If your model is a RZ42PY10X it already has an XD engine for upscaling TV and any incoming signal.

Your best bet would be to allow the set to do the upconversion as it is only an XGA panel so everything will ultimately be displayed at 1024*768 so don't confuse the issue by possibly converting the video signal from the DVD player 3 times ie. 480 to 1080/720 DVD player then 1080/720 to 1080/720 XD engine and then 1080/720 to 768 panel.

You should have a menu option to disable this function. Do experiment though - see what combination gives you the best picture......good luck!

30. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Are you having this problem only when you output 1080i or also when output 720p or 576P?
    I would try the DVD player to another HDMI capable screen or try other DVD player to your plasma