1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG 42" for under £1500

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Julie Winston, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Julie Winston

Julie Winston

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only just started looking at plasmas. Accidently went into Currys, Horsham and they have the LG 42" for just under £1500. Struck me, and the sales assistant, as being very cheap. Placed an order on the spot for a one month trial. Hedging the bets while I look around.

Please don't bar me from the AV forums site on the basis of one Curry's purchase!

Julie

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No doubt you will come to see the error of your ways! For that kind of money the LG looks like a bargain. You must remember that it's not exactly at the bleeding edge of picture quality, and £2k gets you one hell of a lot more screen. As you say it's a 1 month trial, you have a no lose situation, as long as it doesn't tie you to Currys. The only decent plasmas they sell can be had for a shedload less cash elsewhere, and with a lot more after sales service. Problem to lok out for is mainly solarization, an effect that looks like the screen is not displaying enough clours, and picture 'noise'. Lip sync can also be an issue.

3. Tesla

Tesla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    If it's the LG we used to have in our Comet store I reckon you have done very nicely for £1500.

Of course you can get a better plasma for £2000. Well, i should bloomin' hope so if I was spending a 1/3 more money!

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    My point is that at this kind of money is it worth spoiling the ship for a hap'orth of tar. By the time you are spending £1500 on a screen, if you can run to the extra you can have the market leader. Many people who just pop into Currys are unaware of the cost of screens elsewhere, and also are not so likely to be aware of what they are buying in terms of quality. To me, and I know I'm not alone here, there's no point in buying something at this price level just to wish I'd spent a bit more to get the best, not knowing how close it was price wise.

5. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Well I was hoping that it was a price mix up for your sake, it's always good to get a good screen cheap because of incompetence! Alas I fear that is not the case in this instance. Just looked at the Currys website and the following is listed:

Model - LG MZ42PZ10/14 (SHD)
    Product Code - 647429
    Price - £1497

Just done a quick search on Google for MZ-42PZ10 and the reviews I've spotted so far are less than encouraging, apparently this a 1st Generation LG screen. One particularly interesting review can be found at Home Cinema Choice. The review dates back to May 2002, so it is an old screen, and even by those standards it only manages to score 3 1/2 across the board, it states a resolution of 852x480 a contrast of only 500:1 (which the review picks up as being one of it's weakest features) and it doesn't even support progressive scan!!!

At the end of the round up of the screens it puts them in a table, LG I'm afraid to say is at the foot of it:

OVERALL RANKINGS
    1 Panasonic TH-42PW4
    2 Pioneer PDP-503HDE
    3 Thomson 42WP94U
    4 Philips 32PF9944
    5 LG MZ-42PZ10

I just want to echo the comments of Maw, you always have to look at what is at the next step up and evaluate the extra cost in terms of what the improvement would be and how much extra is it in terms of what you're already spending.

Take something like a mobile phone, say you've seen one for £40 and one for £540, now other than for fashion reasons you may find it hard to justify an extra £500 for the very lastest colour screen java based all singing and dancing model. But in terms of a plasma screen you're already spending £1500, an extra £500 will get you a lot more for your money overall and compared to the £1500, £500 becomes less of a dominate figure. To take the example one step further if you are buying a new car or a house £500 becomes pratically pocket change by comparison...

Ok you can say it's "cheap", but think about this in terms of your everyday lifestyle £1500 is by no means a "cheap" purchase (if you don't think £1500 to be a big purchase than why even look at a budget model?) you'd be far better saving for that extra month or two and paying £2000 on a PW6 which is regarded by just about everyone as the muts nuts, especially at it's current price. Ok I know there would be extras to be bought that would put the price up, but still well worth in IMHO.

I don't know you may think the screen fine when you get it home. But I personally would take it back, hope Currys give you a refund not a credit note, and either go on the net and get a PW6 or similar, or wait a few more months until you have the extra, you've clearly found £1500 to spend on a plasma so you're most of the way there, it shouldn't take much more to get the means to get a quality screen.

Could I also ask have you been looking for a plasma? Or did the perseption that you were getting a bargain from Curry's (a rare beast indeed) tip you over the edge into an impulse buy? If your not in too much of a rush wait even longer as Plasmas/LCDs will only continue to get cheaper and better. If you do want one, then get the extra £500ish together and get something a lot better. Eitherway I personally wouldn't keep the LG, I mean the thing can't even do progressive scan so there is no hope of HDTV compatibility...

Sorry if this "bursts your bubble" but that's just my personal view of the situation, doesn't mean I'm right. But I hope you've learnt some valuable lessons from this experience - 1) Never assume you're getting a bargain at Currys and 2) always post here before buying!

6. kocl

kocl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi, i think the only LG that deserves a look it new 42px11. I compare it with other plasmas like viera,jvc and hitachi and in my opinion the relation between quality and cost, it very good on lg.

7. Tesla

Tesla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    This isn't the same Plasma as the one we used to have at work. That was the MZ42PZ44.

Anyway, agree with MAW that £500 gets you a lot more but also appreciate not everyone can strectch or want to stretch to £2000. Also definately check out the next model both up and down before buying anything really.

Did you buy this as you thought you were getting a good deal or was it something you wanted?

8. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

Not forgetting the fact that on-screen movement jerks more than an AV-Forums user searching for 'Britney Spears pictures' on Google!

:p

9. Brido

Brido
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi folks,

Julie Winston

Did you get your TV from currys?.....Ive ordered the same deal, although on the receipt it says im getting a LG 42PZ14/44...just wondering what u got...

Ive had a look around the web and can see a 42PZ10 or PZ11 or PZ14 or PZ44....anyone know what the differences are...Im thinking the PZ10/11 are the same model and the 14/42 is a different one, if you see what I mean...4 model numbers for 2 different TV's..

Cheers,
    Brido

10. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is nearly the same thing with my dad.

He wants one for less then £2k (no 6 series Panny as he wants a 'tv' not just a screen) but I have shown him the light :D. He'll wait until Jan 2005 and get one then. Hoping we can get a HD 'tv' plasma for less then £3k for a 42" one. The extra res would be nice to connect the laptops or computer to.

Koing

11. Hicksy

Hicksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't wish to harp on about mine, but I am very happy with it and as an example, it is selling in curry's for £2,299 was £2,495 but I got it on Empire for £1,769. MAW, am i correct in thinking it is a Gen 4 (PS42V4SX).

I have no noise etc and can't be happier! (so far!)

12. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    no doubt, spend the extra £400 and go for a Panny PWD6,

don't worry about the "I want a tv not a monitor" business, you can attach a pair of speakers directly to the screen, I have a pair of £59 Dennons and it sounds great, if you have sky then there's no tuner problem, if not just get yourself a £50 freeview box, again no problem.

I love the look of my PWD6 with its narrow black bezel, with no fancy silver clutter to distract from the picture.

Spook

13. Hicksy

Hicksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or that!!

14. atacam

atacam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9

As the others have said, splash out a little more and get ALOT better screen. I bought the Techwood from Currys, and after lots of problems got my money back. I got the Panasonic PWD6 from AV Sales, LOT better screen, but you do have to have Cable or alike as this is only a monitor.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK lets be honest who wants to spend £2k on a TV and watch analogue 1-5 TV? and a tuner is available for the panny if you really want one. at £500 ish, Get a Freeview box with S-video and a Iscan ultra! even get the HUMAX PVR and learning remote ,like the harmony H655, and a pair of speakers for the price of an analogue tuner! no contest! If the panny was £3k everywhere, like it is supposed to be it would be much harder to justify the extra, but no way at <£2k

16. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +543
    Just reading this post. Whats the best Plasma for a price between £1500 and £2000 pounds???

17. pezzer

pezzer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think the best compromise here is to look at the Panasonic PW6 - for about 2k you can get a screen /video board and I'm sure any of the reputable retailers on the site will negotiate on extras like wall mounts , cables etc.

Initially I traded off cost against quality and went for the Daewoo Plasma from Richer Sounds for 1400 quid. To be honest if you are not overly concerned about ultimate picture quality then the screen was fine when used with a sky box via a high quality scart to component video lead and it would have been HDTV compatible. However on top quality sky broadcasts and dvd playback the vibrancy of colour and grainy black reproduction made me wonder and I changed it for the PW6, which is noticebly better when high quality video sources are viewed.

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    erm................
    have a look at almost every thread in the plasma forum mate..........Answer is the same! 42PW6

19. robbo24.

robbo24.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    putting on my flameproof jacket, I was looking at plasmas in currys (just browsing) with a dvd player connected by composite, (not the best source) I much preferred the picture of the more expensive Pioneer hde over the pw6. I did not like the whites on the panny and thought the picture was not vibrant enough for daytime veiwing as if it had been sacrificed to achieve the higher contrast ratio, it was almost like watching through sunglasses. Myself and the salesperson had a little play with the settings but could not get a picture I liked the pw6. I was not after torch settings just convincing whites.
    This is only my opinion on what i saw and i appreciate that this is not the general consensus and that there are many delighted pw6 owners out there, before i decide to purchase a plasma or LCD around xmas i will arrange for some proper auditions.

20. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Father needs 'teletext'! :(

And robb024 your just WRONG! :p J/K.

Totally agree that if something looks better to your eyes by all means by it! You are after all the person that will be watching it and not another guy. People perceive colour and sound differently to others. So get whatever screen/ technology looks best to you.

Me I can't stand the look of a RPTV! But Plasma looks great to me.

Koing

21. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +543

Ill have to have a look at this plasma then.

Think about selling my 32" Flat Wega screen to my brother and then getting one of these.

Have to get some prices aswell as im sure it will be different all around

Thanks

Dal