Question LG 40UH630v 43UH650v 43UH668v RGBW not true 4k ? help please

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Somethingelse, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Somethingelse

Somethingelse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi can some one help me
    I want a true 4k TV to use with a PC and to watch 4k over the internet
    i went for one of the LG 40UH630v 43UH650v 43UH668v but now have just seen this...

"The UH6100, UH6400 and UF6800 series TVs do indeed offer 2160 horizontal scan lines with 3840 pixels in each line but unlike regular real UHD displays, these models pull a sort of trick which reduces image sharpness by substituting red, green and blue subpixels in some of their full pixels for white subpixels. This mechanism is called RGBW and it’s distinctly inferior to the RGB found in real 4K TVs."

does this apply to the TV's i want ?
    i read something about the 40UH630v that says it's a true 4k 3840 x 2160 but the others are
    2880 x 2160 if so the the ppi would only be higher than my 1080p 24 ins on the 40 ins one

Comparison between: 42.5" LG 43UH650V, 42.5" LG 43UH668V, 40" LG 40UH630V

so are the 40UH630v 43UH650v 43UH668v RGBW or only the ones listed
    how can i tell as LG say that they are true 4k at 3840 x 2160

how is RGBW done, will my PC tell me what res it is or does RGBW fool hardware in to thinking it's 3840 x 2160

any help and info would be much appreciated

EDIT: LG seem to be on the defensive on this

What is Real LG RGBW 4K UHD TV?

and the others are telling it a little different

What is Real 4K UHD TV?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I'm not sure about the 40" but other models in the 630V/635V have been confirmed to be VA panels rather than the same panel as the rest of the 600 range so I'd be surprised if they weren't 3840x2160.

LG uses a sort of staggered sub pixel structure where they're shared between full pixels. It's true that it has fewer subpixels than a standard 3840x2160 panel, but it's a bit misleading to call it 2880x2160. The exact pixel count is 3840 or 2160 if you only look at vertical or horizontal lines but it can't do both at once.

Computer OSs doesn't have the support to individually address the subpixels in that layout, so the only way it can work if to present itself as a standard 3840x2160 screen.

For TV usage it's a reasonable design decision in smaller mid-range TVs where 4K is generally too much resolution as it has some benefits, but it does have some text issues for PC use so you probably want to avoid those models in your case.

3. Somethingelse

Somethingelse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Okay thank you
    i started off at the LG 40UH530v or the Philips 43PUS6401 as i like android
    but a review put me off the Philips
    Had i understood what LG was doing re RGBW i would have gone for it as it's true 3840 PC text readable

any thoughts on the Philips

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The 6501 does get much better reviews, but is another £100.

I don't have anywhere locally that has the Philips on display so I can't really judge how valid those reviews are.

5. Somethingelse

Somethingelse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You must have read my mind, i went to currys and looking at the review i went to reserve one, sadly they say they are no longer stocking it

i read about people asking about the 40UH630v and i can 100% say it's not a IPS, im thinking a MA or a TN ?
    i did a tap test as told by a manager at currys, IPS not being as liquid so he said
    and also did a slight off side view and it was bad, loosing image very fast, faster than my syncmaster 24 monitor and thats a TN so Mmm i thought MA were sort of in the middle

The 40UH630v sound is good and you can use a mouse in the usb to control the menu though you cant get the options unless you use a remote first

gaming there is lag in all modes but gaming and in a test was about as fast as my pc screen

i also have the 43UH650v so will have a look now but im put of by the res as i could see the dots in the 40 as im about 2ft away

one thing the whites are very bright and the blacks are very dark and i had to play with the settings all the time, is this because its a bad screen
    the last time i had to do that was in 95 with a 28 ins bush and that was bad

6. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Whites being too bright are generally because the backlight is turned up too high and nothing to do with the screen quality.

If you like Android TV then have you looked at Sony's XD models which also use it? Although IIRC the 43" ones start with the XD80 which was even more expensive, ~£530 in the recent sales.

7. Somethingelse

Somethingelse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is it the
    Sony XBR43X800D 43
    or are there others you had in mind
    having a problem finding them doh!

out of the 6 or at a pinch 9 in this Argos list what would you recommend
    i can go 43 to 49 ins
    Results for Sony 4k tv in Technology, Televisions and accessories, Televisions

Oh thanks on the back light
    i read people have it at 95 but i have it at 70 and still see lights when i look away
    i'll give it a go again

that Sony looks good and is in my price range
    to be honest i wanted HDR but on the low end TV's i've tested it does nothing for me other than make the screen darker or lighter so it's no problem and i can live without it

i'm colour blind though so it may be me

thank you for the info btw much appreciated
    i'm still shocked that 4k and 1080p on a 40ins screen looks about the same in 4k/1080 test videos

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  8. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    You're looking on the Sony US website there, the UK model format is KD-43XD80__ where the last two digits (77, 88 or 99) denote the case colour and other minor variations.

All of those are android TVs. although the ones ending C are last years models with slower processors so won't be as good an android experience.

The values are arbitrary so they don't mean anything between TVs. If you can comfortably look at the TV for hours then it's the correct brightness. If you get headaches or other issues then it's too high (or too low).

It sounds like it's still too high. Don't be afraid to turn it down too far, it'll look too dim initially but your eyes will adapt. You can always turn it back up if need be.

The XD80, KU6400, PUS7101, UH770V and DX700 are where the rudiments of HDR display ability start, anything below that only adjusts the backlight which is something of a stretch to call HDR.

If you get a chance to try the Samsung KS7000/KS7500 with HDR then that's worth doing as that's a significant step up as well and the best HDR you're going to get at 43".

9. Somethingelse

Somethingelse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Looking in to the TVs now
    sadly i'm told i can't go over £550 ish or my Wife may kill me

10. Somethingelse

Somethingelse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yep your right
    playing with the 40uh and the 43uh, the 40 has to be below 40 or 50 for back light or i get eye pain headaches and feel sick, the 43 is at about 100 with no problems at all

11. desinho

desinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    There are no TV's with a TN panel from 32" up. Also there are no 40" IPS panels so the 40UH630v with VA panel would be the pick for non RGBW (the UH604v I think is another but does have an IPS panel)

12. Somethingelse

Somethingelse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah i thought not as its got better viewing angles than my 24 TN
    its almost as good as the ips so then a MA ?
    one thing vs the ips was the MA's snow in a test pic had a sort of shine to it where the ips was still okay when looking from a side