Lg 3dtv colourbug user group! checkerboard and interleaved ghosting

Just confirmed my same setup works flawlessly with a PHILIPS 32PFL7606 using interleaved 3d wether with a mod or not!
Tut tut lg!

I was wondering what is the advantage of using interleave or checkerboard over SBS? Are interleave and checkerboard both full 1920x1080@60 unlike SBS which is 960x1080@60?

I was wondering what is the advantage of using interleave or checkerboard over SBS? Are interleave and checkerboard both full 1920x1080@60 unlike SBS which is 960x1080@60?
Hi,
Dno how it all works but to the eye checkerboard and interleaved looks like a far better image than sbs, if i put a sbs 1080p game on it looks horrible and blurry so sbs or over under is never used by me anymore.

Now when i first used checkerboard ect i did'nt like it, thought the image was too sharp as i'd been using sbs which has a softer and rougher image, i'd never ever go back now ;)

I see.

By their names like interleave and checkerboard and their icons on TV's 3D menu, it looks like both these 3D types would also reduce screen resolution by half just like SBS. In interleave, alternate scanlines are displayed and in chckerboard, alternate horizontal and vertical pixels are displayed.

If I'm not mistaken, the maximum bandwidth supported by current generation HDMI is 1920x1080x2 @ 24 Hz. So it would be interesting to know how they manage to improve picture quality using interleave and checkerboard using this limited bandwidth.

BTW, I have a 32LW4500 and I use 3DTV Play to play games at 720p@60. Of course 1080p@24 is unplayable. I will now go ahead and give Tridef a try for SBS and interleave and see if I notice any difference.

I see.

By their names like interleave and checkerboard and their icons on TV's 3D menu, it looks like both these 3D types would also reduce screen resolution by half just like SBS. In interleave, alternate scanlines are displayed and in chckerboard, alternate horizontal and vertical pixels are displayed.

If I'm not mistaken, the maximum bandwidth supported by current generation HDMI is 1920x1080x2 @ 24 Hz. So it would be interesting to know how they manage to improve picture quality using interleave and checkerboard using this limited bandwidth.

BTW, I have a 32LW4500 and I use 3DTV Play to play games at 720p@60. Of course 1080p@24 is unplayable. I will now go ahead and give Tridef a try for SBS and interleave and see if I notice any difference.

Well if your going to give those 3d a try i allso reccomend using 3dvisions interleaved 3d with the zalman edid, it has tobe the zalman edid as it has no extension bloc so it fixes teh colourbug allso ;), this is a much better way to play games using nvidia cards and passive 3dtvs rather than frame packed 720p.

Like i said i dno how it all works, i just know what my eyes see as that's all i really need to know, but as your going to try you will soon see the difference between 1080p/60hz sbs and 1080p/60hz interleaved/interlaced.

1080p 3d really does take some pc power to play smoothly.
Meant to be Seen - View topic - 3dvision interleaved 3d working on any passive 3dtv!

Mocca,

I also play 3D movies through my PC and everything is working quite well right now except for 1080p 3D gaming. So I am a little cautious to use Zalman EDID. Will frame-packing be disabled if I use Zalman EDID? How do I undo this EDID thing if I want to experiment but then want to go back?

Mocca,

I also play 3D movies through my PC and everything is working quite well right now except for 1080p 3D gaming. So I am a little cautious to use Zalman EDID. Will frame-packing be disabled if I use Zalman EDID? How do I undo this EDID thing if I want to experiment but then want to go back?

Yes frame packing will be disabled.
To uninstall just goto device manager and uninstall the zalman edid from Monitors, then just reboot or scan for hardwre changes, i just reboot as it needs a reboot anyway, this will thenm load up the original driver that it reads via hdmi ect

Is TriDef's "Line Interlaced (Reversed)" mode the same as 3DVision Interleaved with Zalman's EDID?

I tried that TriDef's "Line Interlaced (Reversed)" mode in Trine 2 and I agree that picture quality is much better than SBS 1080p. However performance in terms of FPS is not as good.

The strange think is that the TV did not display its regular 3D notice when 3D content is played neither did I have to select any of the 5 2D to 3D settings like SBS, top-down, checkerboard, interleaved, etc. But the image is clearly in 3D when I put on glasses. When I press info button on TV remote, it says, 1080p 60 Hz but TV does not know that it is playing 3D content. Can it truly be considered 1080p@60 gaming in 3D? Can someone try this TriDef's "Line Interlaced (Reversed)" mode on their passive 3DTV and let me know what they think?

The best thing is that I did not notice any colorbug.

Last edited:
Is TriDef's "Line Interlaced (Reversed)" mode the same as 3DVision Interleaved with Zalman's EDID?

I tried that TriDef's "Line Interlaced (Reversed)" mode in Trine 2 and I agree that picture quality is much better than 3DTV Play's 720p@60. However performance in terms of FPS is not as good.

The strange think is that the TV did not display its regular 3D notice when 3D content is played neither did I have to select any of the 5 2D to 3D settings like SBS, top-down, checkerboard, interleaved, etc. But the image is clearly in 3D when I put on glasses. When I press info button on TV remote, it says, 1080p 60 Hz but TV does not know that it is playing 3D content. Can it truly be considered 1080p@60 gaming in 3D? Can someone try this TriDef's "Line Interlaced (Reversed)" mode on their passive 3DTV and let me know what they think?

The Reverse interlaced will correct the depth if you need to turn glasses upside down.
The best thing is that I did not notice any colorbug.

With interleaved/interlaced 3d no 3d proccessing happens at the tv's end, just wack the glasses on and off you go, this is one of the reasons its classed as the best 3d method for gaming as the tv has no extra lag caused by 3d proccessing as your essentially playing 3d with 2d variables.

One of trtdefs interlaced options is'nt optimized so you'll see more horizontal aliassing affects that are'nt there in 3dvisions interlaced ;)

I forget which one does what but tridef has 2 or 3 interleaved 3d methods, 1 called Line interlaced 1080p and Line interlaced reverse ect, i forget which one has the same quality as 3dvisions interlaced and iz3d's interlaced., just try all teh interlaced until your happy with which one is best ;)

I'm sure its either of , Interlaced 1080p or just normal interlaced, you may need the reverse allthough eye/depth correction can be done via tridefs ingame osd.

For games like trine you use the games own 3d rendering,tridef, 3dvision or iz3d does'nt need tobe used as they are just adding extra proccessing which eats up resources.

1080p 3d gaming really needs sli or crossfire, maybe even a gtx680 may be enough but it's a known fact that 1080p 3d gaming needs alot of power.

Last edited:
Moca,

I tried Zalman EDID inf with my 32LW4500 but it shows colorbug. How did you fix colorbug with this EDID?

Sorry, ignore my last message. I forgot to restart my PC. After restarting, it seems to be working alright although I still see a type of transparent halo around many objects. Plus I have to wear glasses reversed and there is no audio through HDMI. Are there any solutions to these three problems?

1. Halo around objects which is different from colorbug or cross-talk
2. Left-right eye reversed
3. No audio through HDMI

Last edited:
Sorry, ignore my last message. I forgot to restart my PC. After restarting, it seems to be working alright although I have to wear glasses reversed. Is there any solution to eye-reversing and audio through HDMI?

Hi,
Glad you sorted it, a reboot is needed :)
Sadly there is'nt any good way to reverse glasses.
Wear them upside down, take the lenses out and cut them down and refit into opposite socket or some tv's will work with image shifting.
With my 3dtv i can shift the image up or down while using vga, this corrects the eye's as it can move the image up or down 1 pixel ;).

My old pfl7606 had this option and allthough the image moved up or down the eyes did'nt correct so this is luck of the draw with what tv you have .

Tridef can use interleaved/interlaced and has eye correction if needed, no hope for 3dvision though.

Ok I tried Acer EDID which fixes audio problem but it has colorbug. Now what?

Ok I tried Acer EDID which fixes audio problem but it has colorbug. Now what?

Acer edid has the colourbug because it has an extension bloc, the colourbug is fixed somehow by deleting the bloc, luckily the zalman comes as stock with no bloc so works for lg users perfect apart from the sound.
You could allways use the zalman and then use a earphone connection to link pc to tv for sound, this should work on the vga and hdmi/dvi input ;).

If you can convert this video into the same button presses on your menu this will fix teh clear ghosting i think you are seeing
I believe this works on a 450u and maybe 550, 650 passives ect, i tested it as working on a 450u and a lk950u and it has been confirmed as working for others ;)

I seem to have good news for interleaved 3d with a pc input
This is tested as working with a 47lk950u 100% everytime!
The old 42lw450u allso had this bug but it seemed to work when it wanted, i think i was forgetting a major factor as if i do not do it in sequence the bug does'nt work.
It's was reported by me and a few other users that every now and again the sharpness settings from a none " pc label " would be carried over when enabling a " pc label " giving 99% working zero lag interleaved 3d.

I have confirmed the following many times and will get a youtube video up tomoz proving this super bug, as it was possible on a lw450u it may be possible on any lg set.

For a nvidia card you will need a edid mod with zero extension bloc as this will clear the colour ghosting.
As amd reads lg's faulty edid? even worse than nvidia then you will not need a edid mod as you will only have the clear ghosting?

1) First change your isf expert and game sharpness setting in the none PC LABEL to clear the clear ghosting, i choose a label to my right wich is hd dvd (not game label ).

2) start your 3d game so you can see the clear ghosting dissapear ,once this is done change back to PC LABEL!!!!

3)Select GAME mode with AV button on tv controller!!!!!!!!!!

4) Press input on controller and select dvd hd or what ever is the next label from pc label, i choose a none game label, use a label directly next to pc label!

5)Press menu on tv controller and goto display setings or what ever it's acalled for you and select your pre made isf expert setting, NOTICE the clear ghosting dissapear.

6) Press exit on controller

7) Press input and change back to pc label, should be one press of left or right , NOTICE if you are lucky you are now have a lesser lag pc label and clear ghosting is cleared up 99% making games 100% playable

I've turned the tv on and off many times, this method of exact button presses creates a carry over of settings bug or something along those lines.

Last edited:
If mocca sais that Trumotion makes colorbug also on Toshiba, wouldn't be a posibility to compleetly disable trumotion on LG from service menu?

If mocca sais that Trumotion makes colorbug also on Toshiba, wouldn't be a posibility to compleetly disable trumotion on LG from service menu?
Is there an option for this do you know, from memory when i used the service menu i did'nt notice a option for this?

As far as i'm aware the colourbug is replicated with teh following.

A scaled image can give colourbug

Interpolation can cause the colourbug

A poorly made edid can cause colourbug.

Seeing as how all the lg 3dtv's i've had have given incomplete edids that are exactly the same with no real tv info in it i'd lean towards the edid, where as all the other makes of 3dtv have full edids that have complete edid info inc screen size ect. This how it's been for me.

Allso noting that none of the other passives with complete edids have the colourbug and deleting the crappy lg edid extension bloc info can fix the colourbug again this pionts to the edid.

And one more note, the colourbug affects bluray players or any type of media player, i tested this out on around 5 external media players and got 5 for 5 so i can assume this for every external media player, this was tested using interleaved and checkerboard images.
Again this pionts to the edid as i bet if you used a hdmi detective to give a edid without a bloc there would be no colourbug.

Thanks for the tip, it could be anything so anything to try is allways good ;)

I personally don't know if there is an option for this. I only enabled THX in the service menu and didn't explore because i'm afraid not to do something stupid. But I think there might be ppl more experienced that could know.

I personally don't know if there is an option for this. I only enabled THX in the service menu and didn't explore because i'm afraid not to do something stupid. But I think there might be ppl more experienced that could know.

I had a few beers and got brave one night, i changed this and that in the service menu, even changed things that killed the display but could be changed back, there could be something in there but i think i gave it a really good going over, i was'nt too bothered if i killed the tv as i was hooked on a fix.:facepalm:

LKg colourbug is fixed with a stock edid on a 55lm760t.
It's about time lg gave me a tv with no colourbug!
Checkerboard is allso fixed.
There's allso interleaved vertical and horizontal 3d options now, using interleaved though works as it should, all it does with using the tv's interleaved 3d proccessing is that it makes the image rubiisher.
Thanks

Last edited:
Mocca,

Have you tried 55LM760T EDID with Nvidia 3DTV Play? Any idea where can we download that EDID from?

I tried LG 42LW4500 3D HDTV EDID Override.inf located at 3D HDTV EDID Override INF driver database - 3D Vision Blog - Forum but Nvidia's 3DTV Play does not recognize it as as passive 3D display which is not useful for playing games at 1080p @ 60 Hz. Has anyone been able to use latest LG EDIDs with Nvidia 3DTV Play for 1080p gaming? Or do you guys recommend using Tridef with these new EDIDs?

Hello gentlemen.

The problem I have is with the last firmware update. Well not the last since I updated from 03.03.55 to 04.01.36 so I don't know how the other updates were. Well back to my problem. After the firmware update I noticed that when playing games in 3D the purple ghosting has increased and before the update there was very little purple ghosting or rather almost none ( I was a happy customer and now I'm ****** ).

Now can someone tell me if it is possible to downgrade firmware and where can I get 03.03.55. And how can they screw 3D when it was working fine, that doesn't make sense.

My model is 42LM660S.

I copied this from another thread that I posted it in.

After months of thinking what the hell happened with my set I finally figured out what probably caused the purple ghosting problem. And sadly I believe it was not the firmware update but rather the checkerboard option ( I got this idea from you skyguy on how you said that I need to find out how to transfer the settings back ).

The thing that happened was that on the night I upgraded my firmware when I was reading that guide I described in the first topic I also felt very adventuristic so I went I tested all the 3D options in games. The last option I tested was checkerboard now the tests were done in Skyrim ( which before had zero ghosting like every other game ) and I was horrified by the amount of purple ghosting the checkerboard option has.

Now today It occurred to me that that may very well be my culprit so went ahead and test it again. The results I found were that the checkerboard has again purple ghosting like before and my further studies found that the sharpness cannot be changed since its locked.

Now that very well explains how changing the sharpness in SBS, HD3D and top-bottom does not remove the purple ghosting which before it did. To refresh it when before changing the sharpness to 30 show some small purple ghosting while 20 was clear of ghosting now the ghosting doesn't change a bit if I increase or decrease it and In checkerboard it locked i to 50.

It looks like that checkerboard has somehow violated my other 3D options but how I have no idea and since I cant change the sharpness of the checkerboard I believe that fixing the problem is impossible.

I had a TV that had almost zero ghosting in games and now has ton's of it :evil:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom