LG 37LC2D LCD - integrated freeview or just DVB-T?

nickgreg

Standard Member
I am interested in purchasing the above LG LCD and went into an electronics store that shall remain nameless to check it out. I had seen the specs on LG's UK website mention integrated freeview with an 8 day EPG, and this is a key feature to me (the digital tuner on my Hyundai Q321 is not exactly user friendly) so I asked for a demo of it. I was told it does not have an EPG, just the basic digital tuner, despite the model in the shop sporting a large, red "Freeview" sticker.

Am I very confused about the difference between Freeview and DVB-T, was the guy in the shop a complete moron, or thirdly, is the website wrong? If anyone has the set I'd really appreciate a definitive answer.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
There is no difference between what is meant by "Freeview" and "DVB-T" in the UK. Freeview is the UK Brand-name for UK DVB-T.

A TV can have Freeview, but not have access to the programme guide. So can a Set Top Box for that matter. Doesn't stop it from being a Freeview TV.

nickgreg

Standard Member
So the LG website is wrong? It clearly says 8 day EPG - can any owners of the set confirm that this is wrong?

meggie_dude

LV426 said:
There is no difference between what is meant by "Freeview" and "DVB-T" in the UK. Freeview is the UK Brand-name for UK DVB-T.

A TV can have Freeview, but not have access to the programme guide. So can a Set Top Box for that matter. Doesn't stop it from being a Freeview TV.

Incorrect - as is evident in the Q321 thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293464&page=181
A set can be DVB-T compliant - but not Freeview compliant. My Hyundai Q321 is DVB-T compliant and picks up the terestrial broadcast digital channels, but does not have Digital Teletext, Interactive, or EPG. You correctly state that a Freeview set-top does not have to an EPG - some do - some don't. But it should work with MHEG-5.

If a set is advertised as Freeview compliant and it is only DVB-T compliant then that is a tad naughty.

nickgreg

Standard Member
That's what I thought - I've got a Q321 too. It has no "red button" or digital teletext functionality and the channels don't auto-sort to the advertised numbers - it's a bit of a pig to use really. The EPG is the key point for me, if the LG hasn't got it, I'll save some cash and get the analogue "R" model of the telly plus a proper Freeview box.

Now I just need someone with the set to determine whether the LG site is at fault or the store assistant just couldn't work the remote - surely someone out there's got one!

B

boyo boyo

Sorry not so techie as you guys, all I know is that I can get all the freeview channels on the LC2d tv that I bought a while back with no extra box needed.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom