1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG 32LP1D

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Doctor Stu, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Doctor Stu

Doctor Stu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, first post :)

I've been looking for a 32" LCD and narrowed it down to the JVC LT32DS6, Philips PF7520D, Hitachi LD7200 and LG 32LP1D. I discarded the Hitachi (I want freeview - live in Wales) and the Philips (limited connectivity). However, I can't find a single review of the LG or find one in the local shops. Has anyone got one or seen a review and tell me what the PQ is like - I will be watching Freeview and running an HTPC through it.

2. Doctor Stu

Doctor Stu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found the German review for the 32lp1r (?european version without interactive DVB) - however, my German isn't that great. Tried putting it through bablfish but just got nonsense

http://www.stagicp.ch/php/documents...db_m.Anhang.pdf

Anybody got one or seen the PQ?

Pretty :lease:

3. Deano70

Deano70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In a similar position I quite like the idea of getting a LG RZ37LZ31 but again no one has one, I have seen it in action running hi def clips and it's stunning but would like to hear some real reviews.

4. gregas

gregas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to buy a 32" LCD and have been really impressed with what I've seen from LG. It appears that the two main contenders are the 32LX2R and 32LP1D. The 32LX2R is about £300 cheaper, is the 32LP1D £300 better? Or are there any "must have" features on the 32LP1D?

5. stu1wyatt

stu1wyatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Hi,

I have just got the LG today, I looked at several new sets including the sony 32 V series, Panasonic 500 model, they were quite expensive but neither had the connectivity of the LG.

the LG is also substantially cheaper, I wasn't worried about freeview as I use SKY, I also use my surround sound system so the avergae sound didn't worry me.

I have so far hooked my Laptop up via VGA and I got a full screen connection, it comes with all the cables you require. As my laptop didn't have DVI I used the DVi to VGA cable that comes with the set, I was impressed even though the laptop can only handle 1024 resoloution so it looked a tad stretched. Looked forward to getting my mini mac this week with DVi.

Will also drag my PC with DVI down later tonight to see how it copes. I have an x800 pro card in that.

I'm impressedwith the TV so far, i'm running SKY through a normal input and the DVD player through a Scart cable.

It store I saw it running HD video and it was awesome.

This is just my impression, i'm no TV expert, before hand I owned a Sony 28" TV I purchased 3 years ago.

6. freekb

freekb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

The 32LP1D has:

- a prettier design (award winning even)
    - better sound (2x15W, six units, vs 2x10W)
    - X-studio, a 9-in-2 cardreader for mp3 & picture playback
    - Digital tuner with freeview
    - EPG
    - more teletext pages.

My reason for going with the LP1D is simple and superficial, the design.

7. freekb

freekb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen the 32LP1D in the flesh, running a 1080i HD feed (the astra demo stuff) but it was fed via scart inhouse broadcast doodah. The guy said the 1080 was actually downscaled first and then the tellies did their own upscaling again. He was very adamant it was not an ideal setup.

The philips 9986 was running off the same feed and either setup poorly or suffers from nasty fish-eye style effects on smooth pans. The aspect ratio even looked wrong on the 9986, compared to the LG. LG won against the 9986, both color wise and image processing wise. I didn't notice any black or noise problems, but I didn't really pay attention to it, altough if it was there, it would have annoyed me.

Compared to all the other LCD's there, the PQ was good. Viewing angle was really good. Colors stayed nice until you didn't care for the image anymore because of the steep angle.

The only time I noticed any real artifacts was on a smooth medium pace pan over the face of a building, where the edges of the masonry where overly processed. That wasn't ideal.

I put my ear against it, no buzzing (in a reasonably quiet shop)

I'm going back on saturday to buy it, - if - they let me hook up a laptop, run it at 1360 and play back some MPG/DIVX/DVD and I like the quality.

In any case, the set looks very nicely finished. The Samsung LE32R41BD (or 51) look rather nasty compared to this one. The LG isn't quite a Loewe yet, but it sure it a looker. The design whore in me is getting its fix.

Will keep you posted.

8. freekb

freekb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. freekb

freekb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought one. Use it with HTPC. Am happy - works fine. PQ is good - very little if any noise - black levels are fine. Have it connected via DVI-DVI, also tried DVI-VGA works fine to. Almost no grief setting it up other than learning how to play around with multiple monitor configurations.

10. GalileoFigaro

GalileoFigaro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are a few other differences (from the manuals) that seem to give the 32LX2R a distinct edge in other areas, depending on your preferences.

Monitor modes:
    32LX2R: XGA/WXGA Modes: 1024x768, 1280x768, 1360x768, 1366x768.
    32LP1D: WXGA Modes: 1280x768. 1360x768.

32LX2R: For optimum picture quality, use standard WXGA 1360x768 computer output at a 60Hz refresh rate.
    32LP1D: To get the best picture quality, adjust the PC graphics card to 1024x768, 60Hz.

Picture Formats (ARC):
    32LX2R: Spectacle, Full, Original, 4:3, 16:9, 14:9, Zoom.
    32LP1D: Auto, 4:3, Wide (16:9), 14:9, Zoom.

Picture Zoom & Adjust:
    32LX2R: Manual picture zoom and screen position up/down/sideways adjust.
    32LP1D: Basic up/down adjustment when in ARC 'zoomed in' modes. Position adjust for DVI PC Input only.

Intelligent Eye:
    32LX2R: Intelligent Eye - apparently adjust brightness based on ambient light
    32LP1D: n/a

Broadcast Formats:
    32LX2R: PAL/SECAM B/G/D/K, PAL I/II, SECAM L/L’
    32LP1D: BG PAL B/G, I PAL I/II, DK PAL D/K.

This doesn't make the choosing any easier! :mad:

Anybody else have any other observations, experience or opinions?

11. freekbear

freekbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmn, about the PC modes, I'm using 1360x768 via DVI on my 32LP1D. Image quality is pretty spot on. I believe it's running 1:1 - if it isn't it's hiding it very well.

That 32LP1D 'runs best' at 1024 x 768 would surprise me, its running pretty perfect at 1360x768, but the manual does indeed state that. I think they just put that in there for compatibility reasons, since its the highest supported non wide VGA mode. On the other hand I played Need for speed: Underground (2?) on the PC yesterday, and I set it up in 1024x768, but the TV stretched it to wide mode. I didn't think of fiddling with the ARC setting (aspect ratio), since it looked excellent. Once I find some time - I'll do some screenshots.

Also, on the 32LP1D resolutions supported are: 720x400, 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x768 and 1360x768. Again according to the manual.
    The manual also states I should be able to select the WXGA mode, via the On screen menu, but the whole PC-setup/DVI mode thing is not available. Instead, it just auto adjusts - and gets it right.

According to the website of LG, using their product compare

32 LP1D: Brightness 600 cd/m², Contrast Ratio 1200:1
    32 LX2R : 500cd/m2 and 600:1

Although the manuals are quite detailed, getting a hold of specifications/ featuresets is proving quite tricky with these puppies. When I was buying the 32LP1D, I was pretty sure the contrast ratio was also 600:1 and it had 4000 instead of the 2000 teletext pages it lists now.

12. blobstrom

blobstrom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this still worth getting, Im looking for a TV that will accept DVI from my media centre but also have HDMI for sky HD or PS3
    Or shall i not worry about DVI and use my DVI to component instead

13. Nom

Nom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    You want the LG 32LX2R.

It's got both DVI and HDMI - both are HDCP enabled, and both work properly as PC and Video inputs.

14. PeteD64

PeteD64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Quite a few TVs will accept 1360x768 over VGA & you can use a DVI->VGA adapter, they are normally supplied with the graphics card.

Ok it's not a digital connection but still looks good on a 32" screen. It's probably better than DVI->component, particularly if you are doing anything with text on the screen.

15. Nom

Nom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    The issue with the VGA option, is that it doesn't support HDCP. So you'll run into issues with protected HD content at some point in the future !