LG 32LG5700 or Sharp LC-32D65 or Toshiba 32XV555D for PC Gaming?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by branney, Feb 1, 2009.

1. branney

branney
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These TVs are for sale for 400 - 430 GBP.

I would like to have games at 60fps in 1080p, and I would like to have no noticable input lag.

I am not bothered about nice colours or noise reduction, however dark blacks would be a bonus (i will have the brightness turned down anyway as my gaming setup puts me only 2 feet from the screen)

Can anyone advise please?

2. branney

branney
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am also seeing the following TVs in this price range:
    Hitachi L37V01U
    LG 37LF75
    LG 37LY95

3. boxrick

boxrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    These are all dog *********** to put it kindly....

Avoid them....

4. boxrick

boxrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    One thing which is essential is disabling of overscan which all 3 screens allow.... ( the 32s ) for pc gaming they are all very similar to be honest... my friend has a toshiba which is fairly decent... my old bedroom tv was a sharp and my current television in my room is an LG...

However out of these 3 ive only seen the 32lg5700 in the flesh... its quite a reasonable screen and id recommend it on the basis of pc gaming...

5. branney

branney
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for info. does that mean they change the 1920x1200 to 1920x1080 instead of cutting the top/bottom off? if is has to scale the image could this introduce lag?

6. branney

branney
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok i have basically decided on the LG 32LG5700, but I would firstlike to know if anyone knows the following:
    the response time?
    if there is much input lag?

7. BushLin

BushLin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sets you've mentioned are 50hz rather than 100hz, that means you wouldn't be able to get 60fps... I'm not certain whether 100hz or a low response panel makes a bigger difference to gaming but to have both is ideal and recommended. Choosing a model with no input lag is also essential for PC use.

8. branney

branney
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm, i did begin to wonder when i first saw 50hz and 100hz bandied about.. i assumed it meant for a PAL source, but the TV would be capable of 60hz. can you recommend any TV which is advertised at 60hz somewhere so i can have a look around and see if i can find it advertised at 50hz in the uk?

i have heard that 100hz is not so good for games as it can create a "strange effect". again i dont know the exact technical details. it could just be that people are experiencing jumps in framerate due to having vsync on, but it sounded to me like the TV is taking a 50hz input stream and just displaying the picture twice (perhaps with some additional processing to smooth the transition - i am only speculating on this bit though). can anyone shed light on this?

9. BushLin

BushLin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Annoyingly you see 60/120hz sets elsewhere in the world... the UK gets 50/100hz sets. I would say a 60hz set would be fine, at least purely for PC use if there is no input lag and a low response rate panel but it's all a bit irrelevant if you're buying in the UK.

When using my 100hz set via DVI to the PC it only allows a 60hz setting which isn't really an issue as I have vsync on and turn settings up on games until they dip below 60 FPS... this limitation may even be there to prevent the 'strange effect' you mention.

10. branney

branney
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone tell me if the 32LG5600 is same model as the 32LG5700? there is nothing on this board, but it is only £338 including postage!