1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG 32in LCD Digital HDTV Ready TV for £999.99 at Comet - Any good ??

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Gogglebox, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Gogglebox

Gogglebox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Like most people, I am in the market for a new TV and a bit confused by which technology to go with and would be greatful for any comments about this offer.

Comet in the U.K. (www.comet.co.uk) have just started advertising this TV in the national press for £999.99 which to me sounds like a great deal.

I've seen other companies advertising this TV for nearly £1900.

Full details can be seen at http://***********/3tqp4

It doesn't state what the refresh rate is.

Are LG LCDs any good as a rule ?

Many thanks
    David

2. kevinsmith98

kevinsmith98
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    but i think it's a 30" set for £999, not a 32" :D

3. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Does it have DVI-HDCP?

4. Gogglebox

Gogglebox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, you're quite right. I've been reading so many specs of these damn TVs.

Nonetheless, is it still a good deal at 30" ?

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    No. Not really. LG are noteable by their distinctly average performance..

A couple of hundred more can get you a genuine 32" performer.....

Toshiba 32WL48
    Philips 32PF9976

To name a couple.

Jimmy

6. atce4

atce4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

David,

I bought the LG DI30LZ30 30" LCD TV from John Lewis a couple of weeks ago for £1199 (a pricematch with Comet at the time). I plugged it in and all I got was a blank screen with a green flash every few seconds at the bottom of the screen. Turning the TV off and on cured this until the next day when the same thing would happen. Seemed OK once the set was warmed up. Once on, tuning was a doddle, the set does it all for you at the push of a button of the remote control (which is eco-friendly as it has no batteries but operates by a winding mechanism).

The digital picture is OK but the lipsync is poor (appears worse on some channels than others) and neither are as good as I'd hoped compared with the Freeview box I had been using on my previous TV. This is despite receiving a good digital signal. Connectivity is OK, no problems with either my VCR or DVD players via the two scart connections. DVD playback quality seems very good with bright, crisp colours and virtually no picture lag observed.

Decided to return the set as the switching on fault remained and JL replaced it with the same model a few days ago. This set works fine but the digital quality is about the same as before. The analogue picture IMHO is superior to the digital but the analogue signal where I live has always been excellent (only about 20 miles from the Crystal Palace transmitter).

Would I recommend the TV? Well, for £999 I don't think you can go far wrong for a set with both digital and HDTV capability. As jimsan says there are better sets out there for a few hundred pounds more but without the digital tuner. I guess it's always the same....you get what you pay for but I think it is certainly worth a look. JL pricematch and give a free 5 year warranty to boot! Hope this helps.

Graham

7. Gogglebox

Gogglebox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Graham,

Thanks very much indeed for that excellent advice. Your experience may well be an isolated case but it's enough to make me consider a Panasonic, Sony or Philips although I'm sure that I read somewhere that LG supply LCD screens to Philips but I may be mistaken.

Thanks once again
    David

8. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Have a look at Sharp as well.

9. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Keep in mind that Sky will be broadcasting High Definition TV from next year and only some LCD's will handle this. Neither the Sony or the Panasonic will.

Get a list of compatible LCD's on the first post in the HDTV thread...

Jimmy

10. Gogglebox

Gogglebox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jimmy and all who have replied

Many thanks indeed to all of you that have offered advice.

Very useful indeed.

Best wishes
    David

11. freshy

freshy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just seen this TV in Selfridges London for £1700! And at John Lewis few doors down for £1014 with a 5 year Guarantee.

I saw it at Comet yesterday for £999 it was plugged into a NEC PC type thing to show the true quality when HDTV comes out eventually.

What is that NEC thing exactly? The picture looked ok in JL & Selfridges comparable to the others around the £1000-1200 mark.

The Phillips 32pf9976 is a almost £400 more expensive (£1388 from pixmania)with less Guarantee but is 32" compared to the 30" LG...

I can't seem to find a better bargin than LG at the moment unless someone can tell me otherewise...

Freshy