LG 27UL500 settings

NameGoesHere

Novice Member
I recently purchased the LG 27UL500 to go along with my new Playstation 5 and Im unsure on if I have properly set it up correctly for gaming. Ive never had a monitor before but wanted a 4K one so bought this one and just wanted some pointers and reassurance.

Frame Rate: Im using the HDMI cable included with the PS5 which I assume is good. The monitor and the console both state its running at 60hz but will this always be the case? Will the monitor even display things at 30hz? Ive read about different types of HDMI and wanted to make sure everything is good.
Display port: Should I even bother with this? Ive read HDMI is superior and the PS5 doesnt even have the option to connect it.
Picture Mode: I currently have it set to Custom but I see many options such as Vivid, FPS but I assume they are just presets anyway. Am I fine with Custom or should i change this.
Super Resolution+: It says to set it to High for gaming and HD movies but Ive found it better set to medium which it says is for "comfortable viewing". Should I leave it like this or is High better and my mind is playing tricks on me.
Response time: I have this set to Faster, is this the best option for gaming?
Freesync: I have this on Extended which is supposed to help with smoothness. The other options are Off or Basic.
HDR: The monitor does support this but Ive currently turned it off as I think it looks better and Ive read on lower models that HDR isnt all that amazing. Im fine with having it turned off, shall I leave it off?

I mainly play 3rd person cinematic action/ adventure games so ideally want the best settings for games like those.

Im just not overly convinced that Ive set everything up correctly and wanted some help. Maybe I have and its my brain playing tricks on me or Im expecting too much. I think the picture looks excellent but was more concerned about frame rates, smoothess, etc.

Thanks.

Link:

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
I recently purchased the LG 27UL500 to go along with my new Playstation 5 and Im unsure on if I have properly set it up correctly for gaming. Ive never had a monitor before but wanted a 4K one so bought this one and just wanted some pointers and reassurance.

Frame Rate: Im using the HDMI cable included with the PS5 which I assume is good. The monitor and the console both state its running at 60hz but will this always be the case? Will the monitor even display things at 30hz? Ive read about different types of HDMI and wanted to make sure everything is good.
The monitor is a 60Hz display so yes that is what the console will output with normally, technically the monitor is capable of 30Hz but that isn't something the PS5 would ordinarily use.

Display port: Should I even bother with this? Ive read HDMI is superior and the PS5 doesnt even have the option to connect it.
The PS5 does not support Displayport and its the other way round DP is superior to HDMI.
Picture Mode: I currently have it set to Custom but I see many options such as Vivid, FPS but I assume they are just presets anyway. Am I fine with Custom or should i change this.
Yes those are just typically bad presets stick to custom.
Super Resolution+: It says to set it to High for gaming and HD movies but Ive found it better set to medium which it says is for "comfortable viewing". Should I leave it like this or is High better and my mind is playing tricks on me.
Super resolution should be off, its just image post processing, the PS5 scales everything to the 2160p output internally.
Response time: I have this set to Faster, is this the best option for gaming?
I'd set to Fast for balance between panel response time and visual side effects, if your noticing odd visual things happening on screen that means the response time has been pushed too high.

If you don't notice any visual glitches then leave it on faster.
Freesync: I have this on Extended which is supposed to help with smoothness. The other options are Off or Basic.
PS5 does not support Freesync

The monitor has a Freesync range of 40-60Hz in extended mode, only FPS in that range gets smoothened and of course the system must support Freesync which PS5 does not.
HDR: The monitor does support this but Ive currently turned it off as I think it looks better and Ive read on lower models that HDR isnt all that amazing. Im fine with having it turned off, shall I leave it off?
Lower cost IPS monitors aren't that great at HDR, with HDR active the display will be a little bit brighter but not by a lot, also HDR controls are often locked on PC monitors so yeah sticking with SDR can be better in some cases.

You can try enabling HDR and try one of the other HDR presets but make sure you run the PS5 HDR calibration tool in its settings.

I mainly play 3rd person cinematic action/ adventure games so ideally want the best settings for games like those.

Im just not overly convinced that Ive set everything up correctly and wanted some help. Maybe I have and its my brain playing tricks on me or Im expecting too much. I think the picture looks excellent but was more concerned about frame rates, smoothess, etc.

Colour Temp = warm
Picture Adjust->Brightness and contrast whatever suits you
Picture Adjust->Sharpness = 50 should be default, if image gets blurry below that.
Picture Adjust->Super resolution = off
Picture Adjust->black level = high (set PS5 RGB range to High)
Picture Adjust->DFC = off
Game Adjust->Response Time = fast
Game Adjust->Freesync = Off
Game Adjust->Black Stabilizer = don't use it 50 is default off
Colour Adjust->Gamma = Mode 4
HDMI Ultra Deep Colour = on
Aspect Ratio = Just scan

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NameGoesHere

Novice Member
Thanks a lot for the reply, appreciate it.

Black stabilizer was set to 50 by default but Ive put it down to 0 then. How come I shouldnt have that on?
I had Gamma mode on 1 or 2 I think but have adjusted it to 4 like you said. What change does that make?

Upvote 0

next010

Distinguished Member
Thanks a lot for the reply, appreciate it.

Black stabilizer was set to 50 by default but Ive put it down to 0 then. How come I shouldnt have that on?
I had Gamma mode on 1 or 2 I think but have adjusted it to 4 like you said. What change does that make?
50 is default for black stabilizer, in other words this is the off setting so I'd put it back to 50.

It's basically a means to give you an edge in a game were it may be too dark so you use that to make the scene easier to see in which isn't something you should really need to do so its one of these monitor side "cheats" that are included in some PC monitor displays.

Altering the gamma value will make things brighter or darker in basic terms, the default value is 4 and the UL500 is pretty similar to the UK650 and rtings settings for that say to stick with mode 4 on gamma.

Upvote 0

NameGoesHere

Novice Member
Ok I put the black stabilizer back to 50 now.

Thanks very much for the replies, I think thats everything then unless theres anything else I should do or need to know.

Upvote 0

next010

Distinguished Member
Ok I put the black stabilizer back to 50 now.

Thanks very much for the replies, I think thats everything then unless theres anything else I should do or need to know.

You've gotten everything to the best you can.

If the PS5 ever gets Freesync support via firmware update then turn that feature on but whether Sony will do that remains to be seen, they tend to ignore PC monitor tech and may only support HDMI Forum VRR a TV side clone of Freesync.

Upvote 0

Ty0060

Novice Member
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong with my settings.

I also have a LG 27ul500-W, but it is connected to both my PS5, and my PC.
I mainly use my PC for work, and my PS5 for gaming.

I have tried to adjust the black stabilizer, but the option seems to be greyed out no matter which settings I use. I mostly play Destiny 2, but some of the areas are so dark I walk into walls.

Is there a way to update the firmware of the monitor?

Upvote 0

next010

Distinguished Member
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong with my settings.

I also have a LG 27ul500-W, but it is connected to both my PS5, and my PC.
I mainly use my PC for work, and my PS5 for gaming.

I have tried to adjust the black stabilizer, but the option seems to be greyed out no matter which settings I use. I mostly play Destiny 2, but some of the areas are so dark I walk into walls.

Is there a way to update the firmware of the monitor?

No it is not firmware updateable.

Use the settings I listed above, if black stabilizer still wont co-operate then you can try altering the gamma value on the monitor (dont use HDR on this display).

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom