Question LG 27UD68P Any good?

Gordon B

Reaction score
Anyone use one of the above with their X?

Seems to tick all the boxes in terms of Freesync etc.

Not worried about speakers.

Cheers

I see you've been reading the same articles as I have about the best 4K monitors for use with the X1X, @Gordon B !

I'll be interested to see whether you get any feedback. Rather pricey at the minute so I suspect I'll end up holding fire, but I don't have room for anything much bigger than this in the mancave and so options are somewhat limited.

Ha, yep. I never knew it was so complicated!

Finally pushed the button on one of these from the Classifieds for £250 so I'll let you know how I get on.

Decent price given that they look to be £400-ish new.

I shall look forward to your thoughts - in particular whether you think that, even though its not strictly HDR compliant, the 10 bit colour functionality makes any difference to image quality.

Is the 68p freesync over dp only. I was reading that the 69p is the one that has freesync over hdmi?

Other than that, this is the Monitor I’m tempted to get as well.

Is the 68p freesync over dp only. I was reading that the 69p is the one that has freesync over hdmi?

Other than that, this is the Monitor I’m tempted to get as well.

Yep, only discovered this once I delved into the online manual. Nowhere on their website or in the specs does it say that its only DP.

So, having had a play with this for the weekend here are my thoughts. The above mentioned was disappointing I'm not going to lie. I feel a bit duped by LG to be honest. There are some other issues, this doesn't do 4k out of the box, you have to switch on HDMI UHD in the menus, something else I had to go hunting on the internet for...

But, after all that, once you get up and running the picture is stunning. SoT, when the sun rises over the ocean it looks real, and that's no exaggeration, even both my PC playing loutish children were amazed by how good it looked. There are loads of customisation options but I've been inclined to leave it as it came out of the box as it comes calibrated already.

Does not having Freesync make a difference? Don't know, don't have anything to compare against but I played a few hours of BF1 and everything was smoothy smooth. Don't get me wrong I'm no optiphile (is that even a word, like audiophile??) but overall I'm pleased with my purchase. One other thing to note, the power lead is ridiculously short, I haven't measured it but its noticeably shorter than any lead I've had in the past.

In summary if you are looking for a the first foray into 4k on a screen small enough to sit close to then you can't go wrong with this in my humble opinion. If Freesync is something you have to have on your One X then you'll need to look elsewhere unless a viable Xbox DP lead becomes available.

Thanks. That’s good to know.

Think I’ll pick up the 69p.

• HDMI (H-Frequency)

30kHz ~ 135kHz

• HDMI (V-Frequency)

56Hz~ 61Hz
  • DisplayPort (H-Frequency)

30kHz ~ 135kHz

• DisplayPort (V-Frequency)

56Hz ~ 61Hz
  • HDMI (FreeSync V-Frequency Range)

40~60Hz

This is copied directly from LG's spec sheet for the 68p. How can they get away with saying Freesync over HDMI??

Cheers. I do have headphones but havent used external speakers on a console before.

I may have to dig out my ancient 2.1 PC speakers if I end up getting one of these. I wasn't sure how they connected up to the Xbox but it sounds like they just plug into the screen.

Cheers. I do have headphones but havent used external speakers on a console before.

I may have to dig out my ancient 2.1 PC speakers if I end up getting one of these. I wasn't sure how they connected up to the Xbox but it sounds like they just plug into the screen.

Correct.

After bidding on a load on ebay over the past month and missing out, I picked up a 27UD69 with a Buy It Now of £225 - which is quite a bit less than the "going rate"

Fingers crossed it's not a lemon. The bloke's feedback is good so I figured I was prepared to take a minor punt on it.

Time to try to remember where I stashed my ancient 2.1 speaker system after PC died a death years back....

Did yours take much setting up to get the settings "right", @Gordon B? I know it's the 68 rather than 69 but I'm guessing it's not appreciably different.

I was thinking of picking one of these up and looked around for settings, they may or may not work for you.

Via radial on screen display select menu
picture mode = custom (game)

under picture adjust
brightness = 100 IPS panels are not too bright so might want to dial this up.
contrast = 70 or thereabouts mess around with what looks good to you.
sharpness = default which is 50 this is neutral apparently.
super resolution = lg monitor scaling, leave at default or disable.
black level = low
HDMI ultra hd deep color = on (needed for 4K@60Hz).
dfc = off

game adjust
response time = fast
freesync = on extended*
black stabilizer = lg post processing effect that messes with image, is used by other game fps/rts presets, default is 50 ? but elsewhere suggest setting it to to 0 to disable & improve the image.

color adjust
color temp = warm
leave all other settings as is in this area

* If extended is not present in this area in the radial menu there should be a game mode entry, inside this there should be a Freesync sub-menu, in here set Freesync mode to extended which enables 40-60Hz support which is what Xbox requires.

There's currently no Freesync/VRR section under Xbox Store->All Games->Capabilities so it's not easy to know what games will take advantage of it, some do already but it's only a small handful, those with an uncapped frame rate that run in the 40-50 fps range or 60fps games that dip below 60 into the 50's.

Cheers @next010 - I only just spotted this.

My 27UD69 arrved today and the ebay gamble paid off - as-new condition with no dead pixels or anything.

Impressions? I didn't really know what to expect but there was an immediate and obvious improvement in image quality even on the dashboard. Everything was crisper and the colours more vivid.

I fired up Elite Dangerous and the galaxy looks so much lovelier than I was used to. Forza 7 looked orders of magnitude crisper and with popping colours. Witcher 3 looks gorgeous.

I need to experiment with the settings but I can say even now that it's a proper upgrade and justifies the expense to trade up from a 1080p display.

Just need to work out where I stashed my old PC 2.1 speakers since it doesn't have any built-in speakers.....

After bidding on a load on ebay over the past month and missing out, I picked up a 27UD69 with a Buy It Now of £225 - which is quite a bit less than the "going rate"

Fingers crossed it's not a lemon. The bloke's feedback is good so I figured I was prepared to take a minor punt on it.

Time to try to remember where I stashed my ancient 2.1 speaker system after PC died a death years back....

Did yours take much setting up to get the settings "right", @Gordon B? I know it's the 68 rather than 69 but I'm guessing it's not appreciably different.

Sorry mate, been away and only just seen this. Pretty much used the settings out of the box but I'll have a go with the settings above over the weekend.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom