1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lg 26lx2r

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Shakey_Jake33, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Looks good to me mate prob latest lg panels i bet and good selection of connections plus lgs xd engine is supposed to be very good at improveing the pictures only thing it doesnt say about it on the lg website is if it can take 720p through component.looks good 2

3. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That did have me concerned. So I downloaded a PDF of the HD-Ready Licence Agreement, basically listing what specs are required to be able to use the 'HD-Ready' logo, and I found this -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/Shakey_Jake33/hd.jpg

If I'm reading that right, then in order to have the 'HD-Ready' certification logo, the set *has* to support all HD resolutions through both Component and HDMI/DVI, right?

If so, it makes things easier. That said, since I'm buying this at Comet, I can take it back the store. If it were an online retailer, things may be harder.

EDIT - Y'know, I apologise if I'm being an idiot here, but I'd be right in assuming this thing accepts old, traditional NTSC, right?

4. amorenod

amorenod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    The 32LX2R supports NTSC, i'd say the 26" too.

I had to find it for myself, as there no mention in the specifications sheet in lg site or (worse still) in the manual. Only the mention of Tint option in the picture menu for ntsc sources hints at it.

And now that I think of it, the manual is for both the 26lx2r and the 32lx2r.

About HD Ready, the tv needs component AND dvi or hdmi with HDCP, and must accept 720p/1080i signals on both connections.

The hdmi input on this tv is hdcp compliant, not so sure about the dvi.

5. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, that's cleared it up! As long as both the Component and either the HDMI or DVI are HD-Ready (suppose it doesn't matter if the DVI is, they are the same thing, I'll get an adaptor if I hit problems).

I'm suprised that there seems to be absolutely nothing about this TV, both though Google and on these forums, considering the TV seems to hit the mark judging from the specs. Still a bit paranoid about Samsung-style tearing y'know.

6. JaRule999

JaRule999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    i agree there is nothing about this tv yet and it seems to be one of teh few taht has both dvi and hdmi which seems a good idea for future proofing.

7. Moogrose

Moogrose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry, i started a new thread... but some info on this Set would be truly wonderful... anyone?

8. amorenod

amorenod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I've just bought a LG 32LX2R, HD ready:

-600:1 Contrast ratio, 500 cd/m2 brigthness, 178º viewing angle, 1366x768 resolution, 8 ms response time

-2 Scart (1 RGB), 1 s-video and 1 composite sharing stereo input, 1 DVI, 1 HDMI with HDCP, 1 component, 1 RF, 1 RCA stereo output, 1 headphones output. The 26LX2R has the same connections.

I still have to tweak it, but my impressions so far are:

-RF, my summer home has crappy RF signal, but I have the super nes connected this way and it's acceptable. I expect reasonable image quality when I'm back to my winter home

-Composite, pal nintendo 64, rubbish, but then it was rubbish on my old crt tv anyway

-S-Video, untested

-RGB scart, only the sega saturn and a satellite box connected. Saturn is not bad, satellite box is horrible, but that's not a tv fault, again it was bad on my crt. I'll change the box, the previous one was much better. Until then, I'll make no comments about sport viewing.

-Component, DVD player/pal xbox modded for prog scan/pal gamecube/pal ps2. The DVD looks great with prog scan. The xbox looks good in 480p (surprisingly, Panzer Dragoon looks worse), and excellent in 720p (slight ghosting, which I expect to solve tweaking, but maybe using a modded pal xbox has something to do with it). Ps2 and Gc output is in 480i/576i, and while quite good, I can notice some deinterlacing.

-DVI, I've tried my PC in 1024x768 and 1360x768, and it's ****ing fantastic, to the point that I'm considering making a permanent connection (btw, the set includes DVI-Dsub, DVI-DVI and minijack stereo cables). Right now, I have a Dreamcast with a VGA box and it looks great.

-HDMI, I'm waiting for a Samsung HD850 to test it.

So, as expected, it doesn't excel with interlaced SD sources, but I've bought it for xbox360, ps3 and hd dvd, so it's not a biggie for me. My old 28" crt Hitachi is great in RGB, a fact that certainly hasn't helped with the transition but, curiously, the scanlines do bother me now.

Misc:

-The size is slightly on the wide side (93 cm), thanks to side speakers, which are surprisingly good.

-The remote can control 6 devices, but I haven't tested it, as I recently bought a Logitech Harmony remote and I'm happy with it.

-As expected in LCD, the black levels are inferior to crt, but not an annoyance.

-It has PIP, but only one tuner, therefore you can't see two RF channels at once, but any other combination with/between AV sources is possible.

-For some strange reason, the official RGB PS2 cable doesn't work, the image is composite, but the Blaze one works. I did my first test with the PS2 and official cable, and my heart sunk the moment I loaded Gran Turismo 4

-The borders in 4:3 are in light grey by default, quite annoying, but I've managed to change it to black via service menu.

-The set is NTSC compatible, but there's no mention of it in any specification sheet or LG site. Only a mention in the manual of a Tint option in the Picture menu for NTSC hints at it. I tried and it works.

-It has a RS232 connection. I know i'll try some commands sooner or later :cool:

Overall, 7/10. I expect to raise the score by tweaking and when HD is here.

9. Moogrose

Moogrose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks amorenod, nice run through... so would you reccomend it then?

I would guess the the smaller 26" screen would also decrease the ghosting?

Again, thank you...

10. amorenod

amorenod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I guess that being a smaller screen, SD sources on the 26lx2r would benefit of it.

About the ghosting in 720p, I want to test it again when the Sammy 850 is here, in case that it has something to do with the xbox being modded, or if it only happens with component.

I'll post the result as soon as possible.

11. Saschman

Saschman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ohh man...
    you have to tell me how you entered the service menue and changed the grey bars to black!!! Its the only thing which holds me off buying this puppy!!

THX ALOT!

Sascha

12. Moogrose

Moogrose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Please mail me when you know, i'd love to find out the results of that test.

Thanks again amorenod

13. amorenod

amorenod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Of course. There was no real need to use the service menu, because unlike my hitachi crt, the set has no geometrical problems (obviously), but I HAD to know how to access it, and I was pleasantly surprised to find the option. :clap:

Googleing for the service menu, it turns there're two main ways to access it in LG LCD TVs. The first one is pressing Menu in the remote for about 5 seconds until the screen asks for a 4 digit password. None of the passwords I gathered worked. Why I'm explaining this? Because this method interferes with the one that works:

Press Menu on both the remote and the TV (the standard menu will appear) for about 4/5 seconds and, as soon as you see the standard menu dissappear, stop pressing the keys, else the service menu will be there only for a split second, because the TV will ask now for a password, thanks to the first method. :oops: It took me 5 or 6 tries to get the timing right.

Once there, using the remote arrow buttons go to Panel Control and press OK. Go to Blank Color and press Left or Right to choose between Gray or Black. The change is inmediate. Press Exit to, erm, exit the service menu.

I haven't found the button to return to the main menu from a sub-menu. My heart goes to Mach 3 when the service menu is on, so I haven't done a extensive research to find it.

14. Moogrose

Moogrose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Shaky i know you bought this Set, tell me what you think... please do!

15. horlock

horlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup:

Gotta say awesomely useful info, but it does leave me with one question - do you ever manage to get out? Just meant as a joke and no offense intended. I really appriciate the info and will problably buy the LG 32LX2R.

Thanks

16. amorenod

amorenod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    No offence, mate.

To be honest, I don't have the time to play much, it's just that I prefer any appliance to be ready for use. In fact, most of the consoles weren't switched on for months prior to testing them with the lg.

17. vodka!

vodka!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Bought this set, and I am very happy with it. Having a strange problem. Picket up a Sam HD850, and have connected the DVD to the TV via hdmi.

On the input I select hdmi pc, and the picture appears. However no sound is coming through. I really can't see what I am doing wrong. Tried changing the output of the dvd from pcm to bitrate, but the dvd player displays the message hdmi sound not supported.

Any ideas guys?

18. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the HDMI and DVI input selects, you can press right to change it to 'HDMI DTV' and 'DVI DTV' respectively. It's possible setting them to 'PC' disables the sound.

19. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
  20. vodka!

vodka!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL

I am SO stupid:)

thanks for all teh help guys!

21. Moogrose

Moogrose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Whats the response time on the 26lx2r set?

22. amorenod

amorenod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    In theory, 8 ms

The only moment I've seen some trails has been with scrolling text in Gran Turismo 4, which moves fast from right to left. No other noticeable effects so far.

23. Moogrose

Moogrose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks amorenod... So i gather xbox/ps2 playing goes smoothly with this set? in SD then?

24. amorenod

amorenod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Let's put it this way: the fastest game I have is F-Zero GX on the gamecube, in pal60 with no prog scan, and I don't notice any trail.

25. Moogrose

Moogrose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Beautiful, thanks...

26. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Certainly I have a 12ms LG PC monitor right next to it, and they seem pretty much the same in terms of response rate i.e excellent.

27. redcat

redcat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How is this TV ? Has anyone found a review yet ? Will it be any good for a HTPC running MCE 2005 ? What the resolution 1368 x 768 is that via DVI or D-Sub whats the pic like ?!?!? Sorry getting excited looks like a good un, maybe a replacement for the Samsung

28. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick rundown on my impressions. Picture quality via DVI and HDMI is gorgeous. I can't say anything more.

Scart actually looks suprisingly nice. Freeviee box looks like ass as expected, but my PS2 fairs a lot better, looking all-round good for 480i.

Component is a wierd one though... it looks nice, and 720p/1080i work fine, and look lovely... but Component seems to be slightly brighters than the other connections, as if someone jacked up the gamma or something. Games like F-Zero GX or Mario Kart: Double Dash look absolutely fantastic, but Outrun2 for example looks insanely bright.
    I'm looking through the service menu to see if this can be tweaked, has anyone else found this?

Overall though, top set.

EDIT - After a few hours, I've settled on these settings -

Contrast - 65
    Brightness - 55
    Colour - 37
    Sharpness - 40

ACM - all 3 tones set to 1.
    CSM - Normal.
    XD Engine - On.

It's still a tad too bright, but the colours look right.
    Post your settings please guys =)

I like how it saves separate configs for each input, it means messing with my Component does not change my already-adiquate Scart and DVI settings.

29. DasBert33

DasBert33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Bought the 32" version today (because the samsung has tearing issues).

Amorenod, thanks for the instructions of the service menu, the black bars are so much better. Wat firmware version do you guys have? I have something like 3.07 and 3.02.

Bert

30. DasBert33

DasBert33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe interesting for others that are interested in this tv.

2 things bother me so far:
    - there is no real front AV connection, and they should have swapped the component and composite connection position, now component is on the side panel, and composite/svideo on the back...
    - you cannot put teletext and the normal broadcast side by side (or I haven't found how) like with other televisions

I also had some issues using RGB scart but they were due to a poor quality scart cable used. My image was 'dancing' and jumping around all the time in RGB mode. Using quality component cables fixed this. (Do not immediately blame the TV)

Bert