LG 22LS4R or Samsung SM225MW

neil2k

Established Member
Reaction score
Just ordered a new desktop and need a new monitor to go with.
I will also be hooking up a 360 via component and watching the odd bit of tv on it as well.
I have narrowed my search down to these two there is only £10 difference in price so what's everyones opinions?
Have I missed a potentially better option if so then let me know!

Similar boat to me! I am looking at the Samsung SM225MW vs the LG M228WA.
Both the same price, both similar in spec, both with built in TV Tuner (which for £249 is damned good value for money!). A HD Tv + monitor for less than most HD TVs of that size.

I can't find much in the way of reviews for either. I'm edging towards the Samsung because on the whole samsung monitors seem to do well on reviews so am hoping this one is no different.

Doing a search for '22ls4r' brings up a few recent postings which might help you a bit.

There's a newer model from LG now that looks virtually the same but I think it has DVI-D rather than HDMI socket (please check though)

I've got the 22LS4R and had it several months now, great price (£240 from Play.com) and great performance as a monitor and as a TV. It suffers a little from back light bleed (some say it's bad others say it's minimal problem) - sound is weak and tinny.

Good analogue TV tuner and good results from Sky RGB scart, no noticable smearing or tearing/juddering.

Overall I'm pleased. LG stated to me via email that it has a 3 year on site warranty despite the card says 1 year in the box!

Well my LG has a dodgy HDMI port so it's getting shipped back to Play.com.

Samsung for me, found it for £249.99 at Argos too

I went for the Samsung in the end and couldn't be more pleased.
It looks gorgeous and gives a stunning picture with a 360 set to 1080p, haven't hooked up my new pc yet will do that on Saturday.

It's obviouslt scaling the picture as the resolution it's only has 1050 vertical lines.

Can I ask which connection you're using for your 360 (HDMI, Component or VGA) neil2k?

I'm using component, planning to use the HDMI port for my PC.

So you're able to select 1080p when using Compenent?

I didn't think that was possible....

Yep sure is possible and a mighty fine picture it is too.:thumbsup:
Awesome monitor/TV in my opinion.

I'm currently watching BBC HD on my Samsung and it is very impressive :smashin:

I didn't realise the 360 would output at 1080p via Component....

Getting my TV tomorrow before work, then heading to the pub after work.

So expect a drunken rambling thread about how I can't get it to work properly sometime in the wee small hours of Sunday!!

I didn't realise the 360 would output at 1080p via Component....

Getting my TV tomorrow before work, then heading to the pub after work.

So expect a drunken rambling thread about how I can't get it to work properly sometime in the wee small hours of Sunday!!

Look forward to it!:D

Hiya guys, I've just seen this thread. In the past i've tried a couple of the Acoustic Solutions TV's :oops:

They were both 26", just a few questions about the Samsung. Firstly is there that much difference between the 26" (66cm visible) and 22" (55cm visible)?

Also, I would be using the Samsung specifically for the 360 and TV, not so much for the PC. I've seen that it's got 300cd/m2 brightness and 700:1 contrast, compared to some others they seem a bit low, or is that just me?

I await your helpful replies!

Firstly i'm no expert but would be glad to give you my opinion.
Screen size wise it depends on how far away from the tv your sitting but the 22" screen is fine for my study as it's a fairly small room.
Quality wise I have a V40 Bravia in the lounge with my Elite hooked up through HDMI and then my old premium with the Samsung and have noticed absolutely no difference in picture quality.
Out of the box I did adjust the picture settings to my tastes, when playing Gears of War I did initially find it a bit dark on some levels i.e Mansion but a quick play around with the brightness settings soon solved this.
Another plus point is how quickly it turns on, my Bravia seems to take an age but this is almost instant.
Like I said i'm no expert but would say this is an absolute steal for £250.

I am certainly no expert either but used the Samsung 22" for Tv for a couple of days - mainly to watch sky hd because haven't received my new lcd yet and very quickly adapted to the size in our smallish lounge. In fact my wife said she was surprised how watchable it was.

Main use has been on the PC though with some gaming and it has been pretty good.

It's worth remembering though that in terms of sound Q - both the LG and Samsung are pretty weak.

I agree about the sound quality so got a 7.1 surround sound system to boost this.

Just got back from the pub, not too drunk but I doubt I'll be setting the TV up tonight!!

I'm sure help will be required tomorrow at some point though :D

I'm pleased with mine so far, it looks excellent. I've only noticed one minor problem though, which is when playing/watching any football, the screen does seem to blur a little.

I'm not sure if there's a setting hidden deep inside the menus to adjust this, but it's nothing too major.

Good that you are happy. Not sure about the blurring. There is very little in the menu's that I can see although there is probably a service menu somewhere but I don't know how to access it.

Set mine up now, very pleased with it.

HDMI connection for the 360 is superb, VGA for PC is crisp and clear and Picture in Picture is great for browsing the web and watching the Grand Prix at the same time!!

I do need to adjust the colour though as it's extremely vivid and bright at the minute.

Much happier with this than the LG.

Set mine up now, very pleased with it.

HDMI connection for the 360 is superb, VGA for PC is crisp and clear and Picture in Picture is great for browsing the web and watching the Grand Prix at the same time!!

I do need to adjust the colour though as it's extremely vivid and bright at the minute.

Much happier with this than the LG.

Glad everything is working well Farmark,:thumbsup: do you have yours displaying 1080p like Neil2k is? If so how is the quality?

I've got it set to 1080p via HDMI and although it's scaled slightly to fit the 1050 screen it's not noticable.

Looks awesome and it's a million miles better than the same Elite and HDMI cable with the LG screen I had....

Coulours need adjusting but I'm not worried about that at the minute.

Glad to hear it all went well.
Got my PC hooked up now via HDMI and must say I'm very impressed with that also.

Is there much backlight bleed with the samsung?

Mike
There is a fair bit of bleed on my Samsung but I have been able to adjust most of it out - or perhaps it bedded in and improved (if that is possible). It doesn't bother me when I am watching TV or using it as a monitor. Then again maybe I am not that fussy compared to others.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom