LG 22LS4R 22" LCD - help please

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by sedalbis, Sep 3, 2007.

Tags:
  1. sedalbis

sedalbis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    Hey,
    Today I received my new LG 22LS4R 22" LCD HDTV. So far I am very happy with it. I have connected everything up and it all works near enough perfect. I cannot notice the stretching at all because of the 16:10 ratio (rather than 16:9) which I thought was going to be a problem. I have noticed very slight backlight bleed, but it really doesn't bother me. For £240 this TV is a steal :)

I have been messing round with the settings all morning, and just cannot seem to get them perfect. Please could someone who has this TV post the best manual settings for this TV (which they have found) when using:
    Freeview box via Scart (AV1)
    PS3 via HDMI
    Wii via Component
    Laptop via VGA (at present some of the icons look a bit blury when using the TV as a monitor for my laptop).
    Any help will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Cheers :)

2. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I find that for analogue inputs like scart, Svideo or video, the best results are without any XD enhancements at all.... I set picture (PSM) colour/contrast to about 50% and colour slightly less with sharpness about 30%.

I find all the supposed enhancements just make things worse..... I set colour tone (CSM) to manual and set them all to 50%

You may not know that you can individually set picture/audio settings differently per input, handy really, so analogue TV tuner can be perked up if required, while RGB digibox can be toned down etc.....

I found it amusing that when I've set up the picture to look good (without those XD 'enhancements') when going to the XD demo, the non XD picture looks rubbish whereas the 'improved XD' demo picture looks almost as good as how I set it up without XD..... hehehe - it shows how useless the XD demo screen is when viewing in a store.

You laptop needs to be able to drive the monitor at 1680x1050 for optimal image quality (which is really quite good from a PC) - otherwise it will look rather fuzzy. Not all laptops (or desktops) can drive this resolution sadly.
    ;)

3. Farrmark

Farrmark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've just got this too and I've barely noticed the backlight issue.

Just annoyed that I can't get a decent picture from the HDMI cable I got with my Elite.

PC looks fantastic via VGA at 1680x1050. Elite looks great via Component, but I got this TV/Monitor for the HDMI....

4. sedalbis

sedalbis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    I've just set the screen on my laptop to 1680 x 1050 when using the LG TV and the image is about 3cm too far to the right e.g. there is a 3cm black bar on the left of the screen, and the clock in the bottom right hand corner is cut off. The image is also still slightly blurry/fuzzy e.g on desktop icons.
    None of the resolutions that I can select on my laptop fit the screen perfectly, and every one of them appears slightly blurred.
    The best I can get is 1280 x 1024 but even on this the top of the screen and the right of the screen are very slightly cut off by about 0.2cm, resulting in a 0.2cm black bar on the left side of the screen and at the bottom. And again, the screen is slightly blurred.
    Please note that I am NOT a technical person in any way :rolleyes:
    All I want is for the screen to fit perfectly without any blurryness when connecting my laptop via VGA.
    Please can anyone help?

5. sedalbis

sedalbis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    After a lot of messing around, I have found that the resolution I want for the screen when connecting it to my laptop via VGA is 1024 x 768. All the icons appear the same size as when viewing it through my laptop screen and everything is in the same proportion.
    My only problem now is, as mentioned before, when I set it to 1024 x 768, the screen is pushed to the right a lot. The right hand side of the image is cut off by about 2 inches, and there is a huge 2 inch vertical black bar on the left of the screen. How can I get it to just fill the whole screen perfectly? I have tried adjusting the screen possition on the TV menu, but even all the way down to 0, the right hand side of the image is still cut off. Oh, and again the image appears slightly fuzzy/blurry (on desktop icons etc).

When I connect my laptop to my 32" Mirai LCD HDTV via VGA at a resolution of 1024 x 768, it works great! Everything is the same proportion as when viewing it through my laptop, the screen fits perfectly, and there is no fuzzyness/blurryness. So why will it not work with the LG?

This is really frustrating me now. Why can't I just connect the LG 22LS4R TV to my laptop and it works pefectly?
    Please help! Cheers :)

6. sedalbis

sedalbis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    Anyone? I really need help with this it's driving me mad! I have fixed the blurryness/fuzzyness by playing around with the contrast and brightness (it now looks great), but I just cannot get the image to fit the screen on the TV :(

7. sedalbis

sedalbis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    Surely there must be someone on this forum who knows how to fix it? Is it a problem with the TV do you think? (seeing as though it works perfectly on my 32" Mirai LCD). :suicide:

8. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    OK, this TV/Monitor is designed to be driven at 1680x1050 resolution, any other setting will give either a less focused image or incorrect aspect ratio.

Have you tried the 'ARC' button to choose between 4/3 and 16/9 wide mode on the TV's remote? (could it be that simple?)

1024x768 is a non wide aspect ratio so it is stretching out the image (look at a circle and it will look oval)

My 22LS4R fills the whole screen regardless of what PC resolution I choose, albeit it looks crappy until I select to correct 1680x1050 setting.

I wonder if your laptop graphics has an option to scale/not scale the image, this might mean it doesn't fill the edges (stretches) it could however be that it simply can't output at 1680x1050 which is the case with a laptop I used on my LG.... I had to use 1024x768 and it looks big, blurry but it did go to the edges when I chose the 4/3 viewing mode.

edit:

I've re-read your earlier post, you say you have a 0.2cm black line left and right of the screen? - well so do I!.... the image does not go right to the edge of the front cabinet... is that what you mean?

9. sedalbis

sedalbis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    No matter what resolution I choose it doesnt fit the screen. If I change it to 4/3 the image is exactly the same (doesn't fit the screen) but just puts the 4/3 black bars either side.

And the 0.2cm lines when using 1280x1024 are at the bottom and left of the screen. The image touches the top and right of the screen, but it's slightly cut off.

I don't get it because using a reselution of 1024x768 makes it look like it does on my laptop, but just on a bigger screen. However, the image is shifted to the right if you know what I mean? The "start button" begins about 2 inches inwards, and the clock or the "x" to close a window are cut off, and there is a big black bar on the left hand side.

When using a resolution of 1680x1050, the image isn't any clearer....it just isnt in the same proportion as it is on my laptop if you understand? The desktop icons appear smaller for example.

What I want is to use the 1024x768 resolution, but for it to fit the screen. It works fine on my Mirai 32" LCD so why not the LG?

10. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    hmmm odd.... I've not had any issues either via VGA or HDMI from any PC (I've used 4 or 5 different PC's on this screen)

All fill the screen, regardless of resolution.... I do wonder if there's some issue with your monitor... can you try it on any other PC source?

11. sedalbis

sedalbis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    I'm going to try it with my friends laptop tomorrow. If I get the same result shall I put it down to the 22LS4R being faulty? It sounds likely that this will be the case, seeing as though my laptop fills the screen perfectly on my 32" Mirai.

If it is faulty, I'm going to have to get it exchanged for a new one which is a real hassel, especially seeing as though I bought it from play.com. Their website states that to get an item exchanged I have to send the original one back to them first. I can imagine this costing quite a lot in postage! :(

I'll post back tomorrow when I have tried it with my friends laptop.
    Orbitalzone: thanks very much for all you help so far, it's very much appreciated :)

12. sedalbis

sedalbis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    Just tried connecting my friend's laptop to the 22LS4R via VGA and I get the exact same problem. No matter what resolution I select, it won't fit the screen. It is always too far to the right, leaving a black border on the left.

Considering when I connect the laptops to my 32" Mirai they both work perectly, does this sound like the VGA port on my 22LS4R is faulty? Or could it be the cable I am using? Could the LG for some reason not like the cable? It is a standard Belkin VGA cable.

So what do you guys think? Should I send the TV back to play.com for a replacement, or should I go and buy another cable and try that (at the risk of it still not working)?

If I'm going to send it back, does anyone have any experience with returning items to play.com, and how long it takes for them to send out a replacement?

13. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    OK, I've hooked up my PC via VGA (I use DVI to HDMI normally) and I find that on settings like 1024x768 or whatever, the display has black bars left/right when viewed in 4.3 mode as you'd expect but fills the screen to the edges (left/right/top/bottom) without issue when in 16.9 mode, of course this stretches the image so makes a squarish (4.3) resolution like 1024x768 look distorted.

I found that there is an 'auto' image correction setting hidden in the menus which defuzzes/repositions/fine tunes the image should it not look quite right, so maybe try this:

MENU then scroll down to bottom option, go right to the 'Auto config' option, go right again and click OK and the tv auto corrects....

EDIT:

actually I noticed that at 1280x1024 there is a small black bar top and bottom, it's small, about 0.5cm wide but no bars at edges.... on 1024x768 there are no bars, the image does fill to the edges.

14. blackhammer

blackhammer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi guys,

It appears everyone is talking about their PC connection when discussing this monitor/tv...

I am looking to buy it as a bedroom tv so how does it cope as a tv in it's own right? Any comments would be much appreciated! :smashin:

15. cheesymangav

cheesymangav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi blackhammer,

I picked this up to use as a short term TV in my living room while I look for a suitable replacement for my old LCD which died on me recently. When I have found the ideal TV, I am going to use this as my main monitor on my PC.

I currently have it hooked up to a Virgin Media box via scart, an upscaling DVD player via HDMI, and my Wii via component. Picture quality is overall very good, SD stuff from the virgin box looks really good, great colours, sharp image, no sign of excessive artefacts or motion blur (you got to expect a tiny bit from a LCD in this price bracket) and on my set at least it doesn't seem to be stretching the image to fit the aspect ratio (16:10), but rather it is cropping a little from the side of images. This is a more acceptable way of dealing with 16:9 material than the stretchy vision thing. Word of warning tho, on some other threads I have seen people posting images of their set which did have the stretchy thing going on, so it may depend on what input you are feeding into the set.

DVD performance via HDMI is excellent. Not much more to say there, you will not be disappointed.

The Wii via component is a little disappointing. Its not terrible, still good colours etc., I have a sneaky feeling that it is just showing up the graphical limitations of Wii. However, I have only had the set two days, so I may be able to adjust some settings to get a better picture out of it. I will report back if I have any luck.

The only real issue I can spot with the TV is the backlight bleed issue. There is some going on and it is noticeable (maybe about 0.5cm on the top and the bottom on my set). This doesn't bother me that much, I find that when you're actually watching the TV and not staring at the edges looking for bleed that you don't really notice it. However, I know it can be a dealbreaker for some people so be advised.

All in all, I am delighted with set, especially for £239.99 (Play.com) just waiting for DVI to HDMI cable to arrive so I can test out the gaming rig on it!

16. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I posted several replies about the 16:10 'stretchy image' (see this thread which has some picture examples) and other user comments.

Basically on my LG, via scart, RF, composite video or Svideo, an anamorphically compressed image (widescreen from Sky, DVD etc) when decompressed (stretched out) does not get displayed correctly. On my LG there is definite proof of this when viewing a testcard (there are some pics showing this on other thread)

To be honest the stretching is not noticable on everyday stuff and really only apparent on a testcard which thankfully I rarely watch!

This issue does not occur using a VGA or HDMI inputs.

I'm happy with my LG, good analogue tuner, good RGB, SVideo or composite video from Sky box or DVD etc..... poor weedy sound but the speakers are tiddly.

Good as a PC monitor either via VGA or HDMI (using DVI to HDMI converter lead)

some backlight bleed around edges on very black images but not an issue for me (and seen on other brands too)

17. cheesymangav

cheesymangav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for going off topic a little, but I wanted to ask Orbital what the gaming performance was like on the monitor if you game at all. I am waiting for my DVI/HDMI lead, but I am hoping for good things for gaming performance! Not miracles, as I will only be driving it with a 7600GT until the prices on the decent DX10 cards come down a little, but still I am hoping that Bioshock will be awesome on it. The large screen should really help with the immersion factor, as long as the panel can perform. Any experience with gaming on it at all?

18. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Well I play a few older games on mine, BF1942 is one.... it doesn't support the native resolution of this LG (1680x1050) so I run it at a lower setting, now on my Ati Radeon 9700 I can set it to either fill the screen with any resolution (that stretches and looks a bit fuzzy) or I can run it at the correct resolution, which means a 1024x768 game runs with black borders around the edges but the text is sharp (1:1pixel mapping I guess it is)

Images for gaming is fine, no ghosting or blur and has 5 preset picture modes (one is user adjustable) so you can flick to a bright setting for playing darker games etc.

19. cheesymangav

cheesymangav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply :thumbsup: , got my DVI/HDMI lead in yesterday and have been testing it out with Bioshock mainly and a little BF2142. Great performance in games, way sharper than my old 17" HP LCD, as you say no sign of any ghosting or blur. Can't wait until I can move it up to my PC full time! Best £240 I've spent in a while! Now I need to save the pennies to buy a card that can really take advantage of this excellent panel :D.