LG 2023 TV line-up: 8K/4K OLED and QNED

Seems £3500 is going to be the industry standard for a 65" OLED this year. If Sony or Panasonic can come in under that by a few hundred quid that would generate some sales

Seems £3500 is going to be the industry standard for a 65" OLED this year. If Sony or Panasonic can come in under that by a few hundred quid that would generate some sales

Preume you mean for "top end" models only? The LG 65C36 for example is £2899 and the Samsung 65S90C is £2999

Preume you mean for "top end" models only? The LG 65C36 for example is £2899 and the Samsung 65S90C is £2999
Yes, meant "top end" model

Really interested in getting a 77G3 to replace my 65B9, though probably not for a few months.

I know it seems a ridiculous thing to say but that may be the last upgrade I ever need. To see the improvements any TV has over even my lowly B9 you must be watching HDR material, during a scene that has something too bright/saturated for my B9 to display. Step up to a G3 and those moments will be pretty rare. The MLA technology removes the last vestiges of panel uniformity issues (though seeing them in normal viewing outside logo screens happens vanishingly rarely as it is on my B9) and I don't really see how the design can improve either...unless it's transparent when off maybe? As for size...well, anything over 77 inch will look silly in my living room so no point there either. Sound could be better? Yeah, I guess but I use an external sound solution for movies and do I really care if the Apprentice theme has a bit more bass? We'll see, but it seems like it's close enough to the perfect TV to me. Maybe it could use less power but even that is a step forward.

The QN80 looks interesting, but what does the lack of Dolby Atmos mean? Is it just that the onboard speakers can’t deliver it, which would be no great loss, or that it can’t deliver it via HDMI eARC from on-board apps. like Netflix and Disney+? If it’s the latter, then that TV would be a complete non-starter for a lot of people.

I did read somewhere that 2023 LG TVs were to re-gain DTS codec support, something that both my 2019 LG and 2022 Sony TVs support. Anyone know if that’s true?

The QN80 looks interesting, but what does the lack of Dolby Atmos mean? Is it just that the onboard speakers can’t deliver it, which would be no great loss, or that it can’t deliver it via HDMI eARC from on-board apps. like Netflix and Disney+? If it’s the latter, then that TV would be a complete non-starter for a lot of people.

I did read somewhere that 2023 LG TVs were to re-gain DTS codec support, something that both my 2019 LG and 2022 Sony TVs support. Anyone know if that’s true?

Neither. It can't handle or passthrough Atmos or DTS.

Love my C9

Yes they support DTS audio now. Vincent Teoh confirmed this in his G3 review.

Neither. It can't handle or passthrough Atmos or DTS.

Love my C9
If the QN80 chassis can’t support Atmos then I certainly won’t be bothering. Just what were LG thinking? It’s just as bad as Samsung not supporting Dolby Vision. Punters get DTS but lose Atmos. Welcome to LG’s view of 2023.

Sony and cheaper then anyone else are words that I don't think are even physically possible, the world would implode if this happens.

I wouldn't be surprised if their 55inch was £3500.

Wonder why LG's QNED range are always the poor option for people looking high quality Mini-LEDs TVs, it seems they're a second fiddle to Samsung & Sony sets, whose Mini-LED sets are miles ahead of the competition.

Wonder why LG's QNED range are always the poor option for people looking high quality Mini-LEDs TVs, it seems they're a second fiddle to Samsung & Sony sets, whose Mini-LED sets are miles ahead of the competition.
Because they use IPS panels, which (rightly or wrongly, I prefer them) are regarded as inferior.

Have these new panels improved with regards to image retention?

I loved my E8 when I got it, and would like to get a replacement as I have "breaking news" permanently across the bottom.... i loved the colour pop moving to OLED, but am hesitant getting another as i do tend to keep the news on in the background when working from home, so it WILL happen again unless there have been improvements in this regard.

It would be interesting to see a mention of LG's custom internal calibration pattern generator, software, and 3D LUT, in addition to the state of Portray Display calibration as a third-party supporter, as done in the previous models starting back in the 2019 series. The calibration issue on the C2 is still unsolved at the writing of this comment. Clarification on these will be helpful for users using the LG C series as client displays in color grading suites.

Big cash back incoming for 2023 Oleds RS already showing the discount 👍

I loved my E8 when I got it, and would like to get a replacement as I have "breaking news" permanently across the bottom.... i loved the colour pop moving to OLED, but am hesitant getting another as i do tend to keep the news on in the background when working from home, so it WILL happen again unless there have been improvements in this regard.
Yes, kind of....

So, image retention happens when you push an OLED panel near/over it's limits for a long time, it may be related to how hot pixels get. Current (called evo,mbe etc) panels are made out of more resiliant materials. Some TV's also feature a heatsink, which seems to help, and some use micro mirrors to make panels more efficient (so more of the light produced gets to you instead of being bounced inside the panel). However...if you simply use these improvements to drive the panel more brightly you will get the same result. If you run an MBE panel in a TV with a heatsink and micro lens array at the same brightness you ran your E8 then image retention will be practically eliminated. Think of it being like having a bigger candle, it can either produce the same light as a smaller candle for longer or much more light for the same amount of time. There have also been software features that limit problems, newer panels have much more monitoring and better predictive algorithms which help stop the panel being driven too hard in the first place. The most image-resistent WOLED TV at the moment would be an LG G3 (MBE panel, heatsink and micro mirrors), but any will be much more resistent than your E8. I don't know how resistent the Samsung RGB panels are.

Last edited:
Big cash back incoming for 2023 Oleds RS already showing the discount 👍
Yes, but you don't get the free soundbar anymore so it mostly evens out, though of course people will prefer the flexability of cash over being forced to have a soundbar them may not want.

If you like to leave the news on in the background while working from home, on an OLED, the ongoing burn in test by RTings will be of interest...

And the test they did around 4 years ago...

Having Coronation Street paused for 15 minutes every now and again will not give you burn in. Watch Sky News with their banner in the bottom of the screen for 18+ hours a day for a few years might.

I don't get the paranoia about this again and again each year. I've never seen any topics on here or other sites where people complain about horrible burn in issues.

Does anyone recommend a retailer selling the new OLED C36 models, preferably 55"? There seems to be plenty of options but had previous poor experience with 1 of them in particular. Prices seems to change quiet frequently between them too so any recommendation would be great.

Does anyone recommend a retailer selling the new OLED C36 models, preferably 55"? There seems to be plenty of options but had previous poor experience with 1 of them in particular. Prices seems to change quiet frequently between them too so any recommendation would be great.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom