LG 2022 TV Lineup: OLED and QNED models - everything you need to know

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
No mention of DTS audio support, or of what connectivity there is on offer. It will be interesting to see some full reviews.

Joe C

Distinguished Member
No mention of DTS audio support, or of what connectivity there is on offer. It will be interesting to see some full reviews.

There’s no DTS support

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
My point exactly. Sony seems to be the only company offering DTS support on their TVs nowadays. Not everyone has eARC capable hardware. What’s the point of loading up a TV with HDMI ports if the device can’t be used as a central hub for peripheral devices effectively?

DTS is far from dead, but according to the likes of LG, Panasonic and others, it is. The world of consumer electronics seems to mirror everything else: we’re given what manufacturers want to give us, rather than what we actually might want or need. I could understand the lack of DTS support if it was a marginal codec, but it’s not. Look how many BR discs are encoded with DTS MA.

I know that this rant will do nothing to change things, but it has pretty much guaranteed that I won’t be buying another LG TV.

Joe C

Distinguished Member
My point exactly. Sony seems to be the only company offering DTS support on their TVs nowadays. Not everyone has eARC capable hardware. What’s the point of loading up a TV with HDMI ports if the device can’t be used as a central hub for peripheral devices effectively?

DTS is far from dead, but according to the likes of LG, Panasonic and others, it is. The world of consumer electronics seems to mirror everything else: we’re given what manufacturers want to give us, rather than what we actually might want or need. I could understand the lack of DTS support if it was a marginal codec, but it’s not. Look how many BR discs are encoded with DTS MA.

I know that this rant will do nothing to change things, but it has pretty much guaranteed that I won’t be buying another LG TV.

eARC doesn’t help if the TV doesn’t support DTS - they don’t even pass it through. It’s very frustrating.

The irony of Sonos finally supporting DTS, after years of people requesting it, just as TV manufacturers phase it out is not lost on me

Zag

Still no upgrade path for someone with a good 75 inch, FALD 8k LCD TV. 83 inch OLED just not enough extra screen size to bother with upgrading.. However if they offered a 4k OLED at 88 inches and under £10k... I'd be forgetting about a possible 4k laser PJ and seriously considering one. The jump to 88 inch 8k or 97 inch 4k... just too large a gap... once over 83 inches at £6k5 there's nothing until £25k and TBA....

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Still no upgrade path for someone with a good 75 inch, FALD 8k LCD TV. 83 inch OLED just not enough extra screen size to bother with upgrading.. However if they offered a 4k OLED at 88 inches and under £10k... I'd be forgetting about a possible 4k laser PJ and seriously considering one. The jump to 88 inch 8k or 97 inch 4k... just too large a gap... once over 83 inches at £6k5 there's nothing until £25k and TBA....
I went from Fald to oled and the oled is better. If you care about pq, it’s there.

8k is useless without 8k content and you’re better off with native 4k on a 4k panel to avoid upscaling

If you own a Samsung 8k panel, their light output and contrast are pretty crap as shown by hd retest which showed the need to push more pixels held back picture quality performance

Zag

I went from Fald to oled and the oled is better. If you care about pq, it’s there.
I completely agree. Although comparing my old LG 65E6 vs the 8k 75inch Q900R there's not much in it. But for TV shows like the Expanse, I watched most of that on the OLED. 7-8ft seating distance, I reckon an 88 inch OLED would be perfect... although as a past JVC HD-1 owner, this new wave of Laser light source projectors... has me contemplating splashing around some dark paint & making up black velvet panels again.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I completely agree. Although comparing my old LG 65E6 vs the 8k 75inch Q900R there's not much in it. But for TV shows like the Expanse, I watched most of that on the OLED. 7-8ft seating distance, I reckon an 88 inch OLED would be perfect... although as a past JVC HD-1 owner, this new wave of Laser light source projectors... has me contemplating splashing around some dark paint & making up black velvet panels again.

Yup. If I spend £5k+ for a display, it'll be for a projector. But as you said, it requires a black velvet room which not many people can afford the space to have.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom