LG 2018 OLED 55C8PLA Horrible Burn in

kevin S

Standard Member
Reaction score
I was so happy to purchase what I thought was going to be a great TV. We primarily used the tv for watching Netflix or Amazon Prime. I do enjoy watching tennis and some other sports. After two years I noticed five or six small boxes in the lower right corner in various shades of darkness. I then noticed that the tv guide from Movistar was completely burned into the screen in the background. I went to Youtube and played some of the color changing videos that allowed me to see the horror of my super expensive tv. Not only were there countless lines burned in everywhere, complete visible words from the channel guide, the MSNBC logo, the word NETFLIX, small circles across the bottom of the screen and a movie title that was so large I could clearly see through different colors. I have never, EVER left this tv stuck on a screen for an extended period of time....EVER. I have never paused something and left it. We watch less tv than most as we are very active and certainly no where near super users. I can not believe how awful this burn in looks. I live near the beach and our living room has a lot of light so I have no idea if the tv somehow burns in regular images if the room is not pitch black or something. All I know is that what I have read in these forums about thousands of hours of use before it could ever happen is 100% not my experience. Maybe LG botched this one tv out of millions, but all I can say is that my miracle tv somehow burned in images that were completely normal daily use. I have no idea what I do with a $2000 paper weight now.

I was so happy to purchase what I thought was going to be a great TV. We primarily used the tv for watching Netflix or Amazon Prime. I do enjoy watching tennis and some other sports. After two years I noticed five or six small boxes in the lower right corner in various shades of darkness. I then noticed that the tv guide from Movistar was completely burned into the screen in the background. I went to Youtube and played some of the color changing videos that allowed me to see the horror of my super expensive tv. Not only were there countless lines burned in everywhere, complete visible words from the channel guide, the MSNBC logo, the word NETFLIX, small circles across the bottom of the screen and a movie title that was so large I could clearly see through different colors. I have never, EVER left this tv stuck on a screen for an extended period of time....EVER. I have never paused something and left it. We watch less tv than most as we are very active and certainly no where near super users. I can not believe how awful this burn in looks. I live near the beach and our living room has a lot of light so I have no idea if the tv somehow burns in regular images if the room is not pitch black or something. All I know is that what I have read in these forums about thousands of hours of use before it could ever happen is 100% not my experience. Maybe LG botched this one tv out of millions, but all I can say is that my miracle tv somehow burned in images that were completely normal daily use. I have no idea what I do with a $2000 paper weight now.
I think you can get the panel Replaced by LG for like £200/£250 or so, which could be an option?

the other way would be to avoid the faf of repair and simply buy a new TV. Some cracking deals on 2020 LCD (assuming you want to avoid OLED), like the XH9505 or Q90T; both at 55” and 65”.

Did you keep it on standby when finished watching or turn off at the wall? As they do a compensation/pixel refresh cycle each time when turned off to standby after about 4 hours use. Also did you have pixel shift enabled?

Did you keep it on standby when finished watching or turn off at the wall? As they do a compensation/pixel refresh cycle each time when turned off to standby after about 4 hours use. Also did you have pixel shift enabled?
I always turn it off with the remote, never with the wall. That would be awkward. I believe I had pixel shift enabled the entire time. The only reason I am not 100% sure is because I went through every setting multiple times after I first noticed the issues starting and made sure to that Pixel Shift, Hindrance and the other thing was turned on as well. I am stunned that a tv from 2018 that has never been used more than maybe 4 hours a day is this bad. I live in Spain and the tv doesn't allow me to see the usage hours (I've read that is a regional setting for some reason) but I can safely say that the usage hours would be remarkably low for a tv to have such horrendous burn in. The word Othello is burned clearly into one area along with Netflix and various other channel guide pages from Movistar. There is actually burn in on top of burn in. What I mean to say is that I can clealy see hd and tp boxes burned in on top of other ones. Unreal. The only question I have is what happens if the set top box is left on (Movistar) but the tv is off? Is there some way that an image is being projected to the screen even if the screen is off?

Here are just a few of the burn in images. Trust me there are plenty more that are just as bad in other parts of the screen. This is a 2018 tv and was very expensive! I'm so frustrated.

Attachments

• CF26810F-1A4E-41D4-9B9D-F6198A63C8FB.jpeg
    CF26810F-1A4E-41D4-9B9D-F6198A63C8FB.jpeg
    19 KB · Views: 359
  • 7CD24ADD-CE29-4100-83E6-A405FDFEFAA3.jpeg
    7CD24ADD-CE29-4100-83E6-A405FDFEFAA3.jpeg
    23.8 KB · Views: 361
Just to state it again...I never left this tv with a picture frozen or paused anything for extended times. There are burn ins on top of burn ins!

Attachments

• 8201E240-F311-4408-AB90-4EAC55CD88E1.jpeg
    8201E240-F311-4408-AB90-4EAC55CD88E1.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 371
  • 8DC9386C-E450-47A0-9A92-03EF91319B81.jpg
    8DC9386C-E450-47A0-9A92-03EF91319B81.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 383
I think you can get the panel Replaced by LG for like £200/£250 or so, which could be an option?

the other way would be to avoid the faf of repair and simply buy a new TV. Some cracking deals on 2020 LCD (assuming you want to avoid OLED), like the XH9505 or Q90T; both at 55” and 65”.
Thanks for the response. I'm not sure what to do. I'm hesitant to fork out more money for this stupid tv as it will undoubtedly get burn in again within a year or two. I'm so skeptical now of OLEDs as I can't believe I spent this amount of money for such a ridiculously flawed tv. I'm tempted to just buy a new LCD but stuggling with the idea of buying a new tv so soon. I can watch this stupid tv with most movies without getting angered by the burn in unless the screen is a solid lighter color...the awful thing is trying to watch Euro Cup right now is ridiculous as the pitch is light green and I have to see about a hundred burn in objects. It's a miracle the players aren't tripping over the word Othello or the fifty logos.

Have you tried the retailer or LG for a repair or replacement? What warranty does it have?
Not sure what country you’re in but you could try a not fit for purpose / faulty claim under consumer rights regs?

@kevin S that does look bad ! What a shame, especially as it sounds like you've done all the right things in order to avoid the problem.

It's interesting to see you've got issues with many different colours because, historically, red was often the first to go, with Netflix and YouTube logos being common causes. With improvements to the red sub-pixel being made in recent years, I wonder if this simply means that we'll start seeing issues with other colours too, as the pixels now age at a more similar rate.

If Othello is the Netflix series, surely that can only have been on the screen for a few seconds each episode ? It's unusual to see TV series names burnt in.

Out of interest, what is the brightness and luminance levels for the picture modes you most commonly use ?

@kevin S that does look bad ! What a shame, especially as it sounds like you've done all the right things in order to avoid the problem.

It's interesting to see you've got issues with many different colours because, historically, red was often the first to go, with Netflix and YouTube logos being common causes. With improvements to the red sub-pixel being made in recent years, I wonder if this simply means that we'll start seeing issues with other colours too, as the pixels now age at a more similar rate.

If Othello is the Netflix series, surely that can only have been on the screen for a few seconds each episode ? It's unusual to see TV series names burnt in.

Out of interest, what is the brightness and luminance levels for the picture modes you most commonly use ?
Tough to remember exactly because I have since switched everything to 50 in an effort to really comply with all the recommendations, but it was no higher than 65 for sure and the picture on all settings were pretty dark. I never watched anything in Vivid and mainly used Standard or Cinema. I can't believe how bad it is.

Have you tried the retailer or LG for a repair or replacement? What warranty does it have?
Not sure what country you’re in but you could try a not fit for purpose / faulty claim under consumer rights regs?
I'm living in Spain and bought it brand new at a qualified retailer (large chain). I bought it in August of 2018 so its out of warranty. I have sent an email and opened a claim under LG's website but even if they did a screen switch I'm not optimistic about this tv now. The images I posted don't show half of what is burned in. It's actually comical how many words, lines, letter boxes, etc are visible with the right background. I can't for the life of me figure out how this is possible as the tv was turned off appropriately every day and it's only my wife and I using it in our living room.

The other thing I wanted to add is that the burn in is literally in all areas of the screen. It's not as if only a few pixels in the lower right (awful there too) are bad. There are different burn ins like a channel logo on top of other logos. There are images in all corners, middle, etc. It's interesting to look at the various things that become visible as the screen changes colors because some of them are things that we don't even watch so they would have been on the screen for very little time. A huge culprit is the Movistar channel guide as I can see various words, lines and HD or TP logos. However we are also gifted with the notorious Netflix and MSNBC logos. Othello is there in large letters which at least makes me feel like I have proof of culture. So frustrating, so I have to at least laugh at this.

There are plenty of 2016/2017 OLED owners here who haven't experienced burn in and there are few cases of screen burn reported in 2018 OLEDs. Yours seems to be puzzling.

Hoping LG offers a +ve response. Otherwise, you will have to get a good LCD TV like Sony XH9505 (X950H) or Sony X95J.

There are plenty of 2016/2017 OLED owners here who haven't experienced burn in and there are few cases of screen burn reported in 2018 OLEDs. Yours seems to be puzzling.

Hoping LG offers a +ve response. Otherwise, you will have to get a good LCD TV like Sony XH9505 (X950H) or Sony X95J.
Thx but please understand how frustrating it is to read things about how so many older tv’s haven’t had issues. I’m just a normal guy who wants to watch a nice looking movie or sports event but had to start researching articles, forums and videos because like an idiot I bought an outrageously expensive tv that based on my research of reading other people’s frustrations has massive issues. I’m happy that for whatever some folks are happy but there are people like me that did everything responsibly and the tv soaks up images like a sponge.

Thx but please understand how frustrating it is to read things about how so many older tv’s haven’t had issues. I’m just a normal guy who wants to watch a nice looking movie or sports event but had to start researching articles, forums and videos because like an idiot I bought an outrageously expensive tv that based on my research of reading other people’s frustrations has massive issues. I’m happy that for whatever some folks are happy but there are people like me that did everything responsibly and the tv soaks up images like a sponge.

That's quite surprising to hear. Hoping you can sort the issue with LG.

2020 55 inch OLEDs are around £1000 here which is not super expensive but its still a lot of money.

That's quite surprising to hear. Hoping you can sort the issue with LG.

2020 55 inch OLEDs are around £1000 here which is not super expensive but its still a lot of money.
I paid 2,400 euros in August of 2018. That is a lot of money for me to pay for a tv that has these types of issues so soon (or at all). LG sent me a message today basically saying all electronic devices have issues regardless of price. I’m not thrilled with their response but will wait until I speak with LG authorized repair services rather than customer care.

I paid 2,400 euros in August of 2018. That is a lot of money for me to pay for a tv that has these types of issues so soon (or at all). LG sent me a message today basically saying all electronic devices have issues regardless of price. I’m not thrilled with their response but will wait until I speak with LG authorized repair services rather than customer care.

That's not nice but I find that reply hardly surprising. I am sure 55 inch OLEDs should be in the region of 1000-1500 EUR these days.

Few weeks ago, I bought a £9,500 car and in 50 miles, it developed a stuck clutch pedal.

Was stalled on the right hand lane of M25 (a very busy motorway around London) and thankfully was able to pull the pedal up after several failed attempts and get moving. The issue was due to a small cylinder attached to the pedal. Cost £45 for the part but 9 hours for the dealer to fix it !!!

That's not nice but I find that reply hardly surprising. I am sure 55 inch OLEDs should be in the region of 1000-1500 EUR these days.

Few weeks ago, I bought a £9,500 car and in 50 miles, it developed a stuck clutch pedal.

Was stalled on the right hand lane of M25 (a very busy motorway around London) and thankfully was able to pull the pedal up after several failed attempts and get moving. The issue was due to a small cylinder attached to the pedal. Cost £45 for the part but 9 hours for the dealer to fix it !!!
Ugh glad you figured that out without crashing! I paid way too much for my tv but wanted the new technology as the tv was manufactured in 6/2018 and I bought it in August. Maybe I will put it on my paddle board and use it as a sail.

Ugh glad you figured that out without crashing! I paid way too much for my tv but wanted the new technology as the tv was manufactured in 6/2018 and I bought it in August. Maybe I will put it on my paddle board and use it as a sail.

Yeah. You paid a lot of money for a 55 in 2018. I remember selling my LG 65C8 OLED here for £1,150 early 2019.

I would say try a 2021 OLED if you have the willpower, otherwise a Sony 9505 or X95J LCD TV.

That is really bad burn in alright. I'm not sure what the laws are in Spain but I guess one thing to point out to LG is that the Netflix logo at the bottom right normally only stays there for a few seconds or whatever, using the built-in Netflix app, so how has that brunt into the screen and more importantly, how would this be treated as 'misuse'? If mine developed that kind of burn-in, I would raise hell to get them to replace it, regardless of whether it's outside warranty.

Thx for the response. LG has repeatedly just said out of warranty issues won’t even be discussed. They are brutal and as far as I’m concerned I will never purchase a LG product again and I’m staying away from the OLED tech as it’s obviously a crap shoot with zero longevity. I’m going to use this tv until I can’t stand it then look into QLEDs from Samsung.

Kevin what settings did you use ? Mode, OLED light value?

Kevin what settings did you use ? Mode, OLED light value?
Why is this relevant?
Always when somone has burn in on OLEDs we have this kind of questions...he probably just used tv like any other tv.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom