LG 2018 OLED 55C8PLA Horrible Burn in

MEGATAMA

Thx for the response. LG has repeatedly just said out of warranty issues won’t even be discussed. They are brutal and as far as I’m concerned I will never purchase a LG product again and I’m staying away from the OLED tech as it’s obviously a crap shoot with zero longevity. I’m going to use this tv until I can’t stand it then look into QLEDs from Samsung.
I got same response from LG.de for my B7 they sad that my warranty finished but thing is i reported failure of panel in warranty period and i had proof for that.
But i always pay extra 5y warranty so external insurance company dealt with my problem at that time.

Ethan Burke

Standard Member
Why is this relevant?
Always when somone has burn in on OLEDs we have this kind of questions...he probably just used tv like any other tv.
Fully agree

then someone will say… Not put oled light in 100 for SDR!

If this hurts the TV then it is manufacturer blame to allow to put a settings which could cause these problems.

MEGATAMA

Thats the thing.....constructor should put the limit if one is needed.
Dont say your tv can go 800nits if it safely can go only to 300nits....put the limit on 300 and thats it.

mikej

Why is this relevant?
Always when somone has burn in on OLEDs we have this kind of questions...he probably just used tv like any other tv.

I think it's safe to say that we all acknowledge that burn-in should not be occurring, no matter what settings you use but the reality is that it does sometimes occur and the settings used might be a factor, so the question is (potentially) very relevant.

I can't answer for others but whenever I ask the question, I'm trying to get a better understanding of what causes the problem and also see how my own usage compares. It only takes a minute to answer the question and helping each-other out is what this forum is all about and what makes it great.

In this particular case, the OP was good enough to take time to answer the question and it doesn't sound to me like the settings used were a factor.

Thx but please understand how frustrating it is to read things about how so many older tv’s haven’t had issues. I’m just a normal guy who wants to watch a nice looking movie or sports event but had to start researching articles, forums and videos because like an idiot I bought an outrageously expensive tv that based on my research of reading other people’s frustrations has massive issues. I’m happy that for whatever some folks are happy but there are people like me that did everything responsibly and the tv soaks up images like a sponge.
Sorry to hear that you have also experienced "burn-in" with your OLED TV. I think what makes your case (LG C8) so interesting is that people assumed the models after the notorious 2016/2017 models (B6/B7) would last longer since LG made some significant improvements. Yet this case shows that even with newer models there is a risk of getting "burn-in".

Thx for the response. LG has repeatedly just said out of warranty issues won’t even be discussed. They are brutal and as far as I’m concerned I will never purchase a LG product again and I’m staying away from the OLED tech as it’s obviously a crap shoot with zero longevity. I’m going to use this tv until I can’t stand it then look into QLEDs from Samsung.
I had a similar experience with my LG 55" B7 model and the LG's customer support where they were saying that the TV is out of warranty and they don't fix anything out of good will. They sent me to the LG repair service partner in Austria (EU) who wanted me to pay 1050 Euros (2/3 of the price I paid for my TV) to have the panel replaced. The tech guy from the repair service company was telling me that I'm to blame if I buy an OLED and expect to not get "burn-in" since "it's an organic panel and the organic material wears off". I decided against a panel replacement since the risk of "burn-in" remains.

After wasting 6 months with LG's customer support and their service partner I was so frustrated that I sold my TV for 250 Euros and bought a LED TV.

JokerJack

Sorry to hear that you have also experienced "burn-in" with your OLED TV. I think what makes your case (LG C8) so interesting is that people assumed the models after the notorious 2016/2017 models (B6/B7) would last longer since LG made some significant improvements. Yet this case shows that even with newer models there is a risk of getting "burn-in".

I had a similar experience with my LG 55" B7 model and the LG's customer support where they were saying that the TV is out of warranty and they don't fix anything out of good will. They sent me to the LG repair service partner in Austria (EU) who wanted me to pay 1050 Euros (2/3 of the price I paid for my TV) to have the panel replaced. The tech guy from the repair service company was telling me that I'm to blame if I buy an OLED and expect to not get "burn-in" since "it's an organic panel and the organic material wears off". I decided against a panel replacement since the risk of "burn-in" remains.

After wasting 6 months with LG's customer support and their service partner I was so frustrated that I sold my TV for 250 Euros and bought a LED TV.
My b7 has burn in and on normal setting and was never paused and is now in my little gym. Went back to lcd after years of using plasma etc. Shame as I loved the pic of Oled but burn

Chuck Light

Novice Member
I am a new member, just signed up from California in the US. I have had an LG OLED 65B6P since December, 2016. I can state unequivocally and with gobs of proof that any OLED screen will in fact burn in if the user watches no more than 2 hours of cable news per day, five or six days per week. Guaranteed.

My TV went into service in January, 2017. I had screen burn in from the MSNBC and CNN chirons within one year. LG actually replaced the original panel with a new one in February 2018. (If I have read the posts in here correctly, it may be harder to get LG to replace burned in panels in the UK than in the US) The replacement panel burned in within one year. It took a lot of effort, but I got LG to replace the first replacement panel with a new one in September 2019. When that panel was installed I asked LG to provide me with the best possible settings for the screen to avoid burn in, and used those settings. I also reduced my cable news watching to no more than two hours per day, five days per week. As I had from the installation of the first replacement panel, I had pixel shift on at all times, and ran the Clear Panel Noise function not less than three days per week.

Despite my efforts to avoid burn in on the second replacement panel, that panel burned in with the cable news logos within 9 months. LG refused to take back the TV and give me my money back, so I sued them in Small Claims Court.

Since January 2021 when I filed suit, I learned that LG changed their warranty in 2018 to require disputes to be taken to arbitration. I could sue in small claims only because my TV was a 2016 model, before the arbitration requirement was included in their warranty. I am awaiting a decision from the Small Claims Court.

OLED produces the best possible TV picture. However, if you watch cable TV news programs, such as CNN, MSNBC, or FOX News, DO NOT BUY AN OLED TV! IT WILL BURN IN!

Hamad138

Write an Email again to LG , say u will never buy an LG Product again and will pass OLed Problems to Family Members.

They will sure replace ur Panel, LG even replaced my friends Panel after 3 years for 180€

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom