Question LG 2017 OLED TV motion processing for interlaced video

MissLiz

Standard Member
Hi,

In the near future, I am considering purchasing an LG OLED55B7.
However, nearly all reviews I have read, while generally very positive, always criticise one thing... how interlaced video is processed.

Trusted Reviews:
LG OLED55B7 review | TrustedReviews
Cons: "Imperfect motion processing for interlaced broadcast"

Expert Reviews
LG OLED55B7V (B7 OLED) review: The best OLED TV yet
Cons: "Motion hiccups on interlaced video"

I've seen this kind of problem on my current Sony TV (but rarely) on Sky HD (which outputs 1080i) where interlaced video displays very jerkily for a few seconds. I can't remember it ever happening on my previous Panasonic Plasma.

I e-mailed LG to comment on this, and also asked whether the problem affects all their 2017 TVs (which I suspect it does), and the answer I got was:

Quote:
"I can confirm that they do not play well with interlaced video. 4K TVs are not designed to work with interlaced video at all and doesn't use the same kind of compensation techniques that older and lower resolution TVs do"

and

"I would suggest dropping your Sky box down to 720p or upgrading to Sky Q to get the best experience"

So, LG suggest that if I buy one of their 4K TVs, I should reduce the quality of HD interlaced video BELOW HD resolution. That does not sound like a step forward!

I know that with good processing in a TV, interlaced video can be converted to progressive and displayed nearly flawlessly, so it surprises me that in 2017 this is still a problem!

Does anyone with an LG OLED find the interlace issue to be a noticeable problem?
How often does the problem occur?

Any thoughts about this are welcomed.

Thanks

Liz

MultiRoom

I have dropped the resolution on my Virgin box down from 1080i to 720p and you can't tell the difference. I have an E6. If that's all that's worrying you, I'd proceed with your purchase.

d10brp

I suggest getting Sky Q, which can do the deinterlacing for you. You also get the UHD goodies too.

Not sure why LG have issues with an interlaced signal, last year the E6 had this issue too and as far as I can tell it wasn't fixed. Still, haven't need to watch any interlaced content since getting Sky Q last summer.

giggsy1950

Do you have a relatively modern AVR? If so, and it upscales through HDMI, that would perhaps mitigate the potential issue?

MissLiz

Standard Member
Hi. Thanks for your answers.
I have an Onkyo TX-RZ810, which as far as I can tell from the manual will only upscale from 1080p to 4K.

I suspect I'll go the Sky Q route, and I'd want whatever 4K they're broadcasting in any case.

Still, I find it odd that after all these years, high quality deinterlacing can't be done in LG televisions. The fact is, there's a lot more 1080i broadcast material currently than 4K, so I would say it's a particularly important feature to get right.

c__w

Not quite the same but I just got a Virgin Media v6 box that out puts 2160p, but I find the picture quality better with it set on 1080i, letting the TVs deinterlace and upscale. Essentially the scaler in my TVs is better than the v6 box, and I could be your lg isn't the best at deinterlacin but the skybox is better?

Mully

Standard Member
Not quite the same but I just got a Virgin Media v6 box that out puts 2160p, but I find the picture quality better with it set on 1080i, letting the TVs deinterlace and upscale. Essentially the scaler in my TVs is better than the v6 box, and I could be your lg isn't the best at deinterlacin but the skybox is better?

I agree as I have the same V6 box and originally thought that the picture was not as good as the old Tivo box. After changing the output settings to 1080i and letting the TV do the work I think it's great again.
I have a Sony LCD 2016. Awesome set.

pressure

So is there an interlacing issue with the b7 or not? The reviews say there is, but most people here seem to think it's processing is ok. Before I commit I'd like to know my freesat box will be ok

Smartin

I can't say for a 2017 LG Oled tv but I have had a 55C6V for the last year and with Sky HD set to 1080i it definitely has some kind of processing issue with football and motor racing. It is not a constant issue - the image tends to go a little fuzzy briefly every now and again and I don't know what triggers it. Most of the time it is just fine. Haven't noticed it in any other content.

I had tried dropping Sky resolution down to 720p and that stopped the random fuzziness but introduced a weird shimmering effect around some of the on screen graphics that Sky tend to use so that is an alternative distraction! Perhaps there is some other setting that would get rid of that.

Not upgraded to Sky Q yet so cannot say whether that deals with this fuzziness in a better way.

Would be interesting to know whether the new Sony or Panasonic Oleds handle this better than the LG or if there is some other external processing option.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom