Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BenQ w1070

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

wazms

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm not an expert in such matters... and I can't seem to find a good comparison between these two projectors:
  • LG 1400
  • Benq W1070
What I know so far:
The lumens are higher on the Benq. But the lamp durability (LED) and contrast are better on the LG.

So... which has the best image quality (in a dark room)?
Which has the best value for money?

PS: the projector will be four meters apart from the screen. (I believe this is important for the throw distance).

Sorry for any bad english.

Image quality - so many factors over and above those the marketing boys and girls choose to highlight.

Motion - poor horizontal motion handling is often the 'killer', esp if you are sat relatively close to the image.

Projection distance - is definitely a factor if your projector can't fit an image on your preferred screen size from your preferred projector mounting point.

A vs. B - without the ability to go view them in a controlled lighting environment and based on your questions I'm guessing it's your first foray into projection, I doubt you would be disappointed with either model.

'Durability' is tricky with a new technology as there is no bench mark - I remember well the horrors of the first batch of the Panasonic PT-AE100 (which arguably kicked off the Home Projector revolution) we shipping 30+ units on the first day they became available and every one of them failed within 2-secs of being powered on!!!

What Warranty are LG offering on the LED light engine?

What are you plans re Screen and Loudspeakers?

Joe

Thanks a lot for your time Joe.

I really appreciate it.

Yes, it is my first adventure into assembling a home theatre! Thanks for noticing. LOlol!

The projector will be mounted on the ceiling, four meters away from the screen (as stated on the original post). And the sofa will be right underneath it.

I am clueless about the LG warranty that you mentioned. And that is a damn good question!!!

I don’t know what “re screen” is. (my English is failing me, with this question).

But if I’ll try to answer that with the projection screen brand and model that I am aiming for: Napofix e169-2080. (I hope that’s the correct answer).

I’m planning to go with Samsung HT J4500-ZF for the sound.

So… which of the two projectors, wins your vote?

Question is, what size is your screen? You can't choose projector without calculation: screen size vs projector mounting distance. It may be, that both projectors are wrong choice.

Aha! Thanks for the clarification kureke!

That is a great question!

The Napofix e169-2080 has 90’’ in total. I am not sure if that is a good screen size for a four meters distance to the couch and projector (since it will be above the couch).

So… is it a good size? And if so. Are these projectors a good choice? And if so… which of them?

Thanks once again.

You have to mount projector closer to the sceen. Picture will be too big for 90" screen if you mount it over your head - 4m distance.
BenQ W1070 Projection Calculator - Throw Distance and Screen Size

IMHO 4m seating distance is too far away for 90". At least 120" or bigger screen is ok.
I'm using 120" screen and seating distance is 2,5-3,5m... of course, it's personal taste. Maybe 90" from 4m distance is ok for you.

Last edited:
Thanks for noticing that kureke! That’s a very useful information.

Unfortunately I cannot have a screen larger than 220cm (the room doesn’t allow me to).

And honestly? You guys have placed to many useful and important questions, that I am more clueless now than when I started. LOlol!

Now I see the lack of knowledge I had (and still have). I would have ended up doing some very bad choices if it wasn’t for this forum and its members.

The conclusions I’ve reached so far:
  1. Get a bigger screen (as big as possible, under consideration of the width restrains that I have).
  2. Find new projection models or move one of these (BenQ w1070 or LG 1500) closer to the screen. (That makes me worried about image distortion).

Allow me to place new questions:
  1. Should I think of other models capable of projecting at 4m distance? (If so: which one?) Or should I buy one of these and move it closer to the screen? (If so: which one?)
  2. Will I have image distortion if I move one of these projectors closer to the screen? (Do not forget that it will be mounted on the ceiling).

Thank you all for your time and patience. But I am really lost here…

If your plan is put the sofa against the back wall, then I would move the sofa forward - sitting against the wall is the worst possible position for sound. Then projector may better stay there, behind your position. You don't see it and maybe don't hear the noise so much too.
This means choosing some other projector.
But if you can't move sofa, then it's hard to tell, what to do.
Image distortion may be problem, if projector is short throw - but these aren't, so you should be ok.
I'm familiar with Epson, Optoma, Infocus and Benq projectors and these are usually good choice for home cinema, about LG can't say anything - it's new for me.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom