1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LFE Setting on MJ Ref 150

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by jamesl01, May 26, 2004.

1. jamesl01

jamesl01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi All

Can someone explain what the LFE setting does on my mj acoustics sub please? I've read the blurb in the manual but am still none the wiser.

When I set the dial to 'LFE' the sub plays the full musical range and sounds like a really bad radio speaker. I've tried changing my amplifier settings but this seems to make no difference.

Also, is this a movies only setting or can I leave it in this mode for music as well?

Thanks in advance.

James

2. drum63

drum63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    James,

Not definitely sure about the MJ sub, as I don't have one, but normally the LFE setting "switches out" the sub's crossover and the sub will therefore try to reproduce all signals it receives.

This would normally be OK if you are connecting via Low-Level cable only, as your amp will only allow frequencies below its crossover setting to be sent to the sub.

However, if you also have a High-Level connection to your sub, then the sub will be getting the full range signal.

Gary

3. jamesl01

jamesl01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks Gary. That would make sense. I am using the high level and low level connections.

James

4. drum63

drum63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    James,

Is there any reason that you're using the High Level connection, apart from the fact that the sub supports this ?

As your front speakers crossover at 80Hz I would have thought you'd set all speakers to small, amp crossover at 80, and you should then get everything below 80 Hz sent out of the Low Level connection to the sub.
    The sub could then be set quite happily at the LFE position.

I don't think you will get anything extra from the high-level connection.

From other posts, it seems there can be advantages in using the high-level connection also, and I have tried it myself, but this is normally when the main speakers are set to large.
    Apparently some DVDs feature low frequency output which is sent out the fronts only and is not decoded to the LFE channel and this will therefore not get to the sub through the low-level connection.

This shouldn't apply in your case if your fronts are "small".

Other people also use the high-level connection when they have a seperate hi-fi amp driving the front speakers to allow them to use the sub when playing music.

Gary

5. jamesl01

jamesl01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Gary

I have my speakers setup exactly as you describe above - 80hz cross over and 'small' speakers. The high level connection to my ears sounds better than that provided by just the low level one. With just the low level connection there is something missing in the midrange, it's as if there is too much bass, plenty of treble but not a lot in between.

Over the weekend I will try just the low level connection with LFE switched on at the sub to see what difference this makes.

Cheers

James