1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LFE phono lead

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by steve998, Oct 20, 2005.

1. steve998

steve998

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have lost my original lead (phono ithink?) that came with my Q150 mk2. The original lead was pretty poor quality anyway!

I have a spare QED Qnect analogue interconnect lead. Will this be ok? (it is just about long enough)

Will it be a (subtle) improvement in sound quaility?

(PS i dont get any noticable hum or interference from other mains sources so I dont thin need to pay extra for a dedicated sub shielded cable?)

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    simple way, hook it up and see if it works...lol

if not, go get a 75ohm shielded cable, should be able to get a cheapish one if not too long........tbh i reckon you might wanna get one, but see what happens with the QED first......if 2m or under a shielded will make sure its a good clean signal and only cost you around £20 at most......what you are using may work or may have lots of hum, so make sure to turn down the gain first...lol...

when i got my quake it came with a phono lead, i kid you not this thing was thinner than bellwire....lol......hooked up the sub (didnt have a neutrik for hi-level at first cuz i had no money left..) and HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

heh

bought a QED digital coaxial cable (meant for 5.1 audio) as it was the cheapest at the length i needed at that point in time, and it worked a treat, cost me about £35 or £40 i think....

3. steve998

steve998

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse me for being a bit slow,

But I thought that digital (coaxial) and analogue (stereo interconnects) were completely different?

Sorry if thats a bit thick, but I read somewhere 'NOT to input a coaxial into a analogue input or you will self combust....' (or something like that :)

Help!

4. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,784
    For a sub it is recommended you use a double shielded cable. Mark Grant sells these in here somewhere (look cables interconnects?) using highly rated Canare equipment and cable. The reason for this on subs is that the sub will handle many low frequencies, including 50Hz which just happens to be the mains frequency. Other than that a good quality shielded interconnect will work just as well for a "coax" connection as it would for an analogue connection.

And if you want to be bored with making your own interconnects.....
    http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diycables.html