Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

LFE on Denon 3802 in DPL II mode

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jspone, Dec 9, 2001.

Tags:
  1. jspone

jspone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the Denon 3802 not output to the LFE channel in DPL II mode?

In the speaker configuration section of the set-up menu, I’ve selected LFE only (rather than LFE + Main). As I understand it, this should only steer the LFE channel of a 5.1 sound track to the subwoofer. When listening to a 5.1 soundtrack it sounds fine.

When I then play a disk without a 5.1 soundtrack, the amp switches to DPL II and nothing is sent to the subwoofer. This seems strange, because there is a LFE parameter in the DPL surround parameter menu.

Am I missing something, or do I have to keep switching from LFE only to LFE + main?

John

2. Raj

Raj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,

On mine with LFE setting, the subwoofer only works in DPL II Cinema Mode, with DPL II Music mode, the subwoofer is definately off and not sent any signal by the 3802.

So with DPL-II Cinema mode, you should get something from the subwoofer, assuming that there is some signal on the .1 channel.

Have you tried this with various materials, also try temporaily turning up the sub while testing and make sure you're using DPL II Cinema mode.

Raj

3. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you set the front speakers as small ? If you didn´t you probably wont get anything from LFE using DPLII...

4. jspone

jspone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, thanks for the input

Raj, I have been using DPL II in Cinema mode. When you say "you should get something from the subwoofer, assuming that there is some signal on the .1 channel", the point is, if I'm lstening to a Dolby stereo soundtrack, there's is nothing on the .1 channel. I expected DPL II to create one 'on the fly'.

In the Speaker Configuration menu, have you set the subwoofer to "LFE" or "LFE + Main"?

Lowrider, I've set my front speakers to "Large". Everything works fine in true 5.1 modes. It's just DPL II where the subwoofer is dead.

John

5. Raj

Raj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,

Not sure of DPL II creates a .1 on the fly or not, it's an interesting question if someone can answer this.

I have my sub set to just "LFE". But remember, the bass from any speakers set to small should also be redirected to the sub.

I have my main L+R set to Large, all others set to Small. In Cinema mode I definately get output from the sub, but in Music mode I get nothing.

Have you tried both Cinema and Music modes of DPL II ?

Raj