1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LFE cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by FTU, Sep 20, 2004.

1. FTU

FTU

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i am new to HT world so bear with me.

What is the difference between a LFE cable for subwoofer and a regular coaxial cable which has the correct RCA plugs installed at both end?

How much should a good LFE cable worth?

Need help to choose a LFE cable.

I recently brought Marantz 5500 and JBC SCS 178 which comes with a subwoofer but no cable.

:hiya:

[edit by Ian J] I have merged both of your threads

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    1)
    There is no difference.

2)
    The cost of the LFE cable isn't always the best factor to consider. In my experience, look for some thick wire and high quality terminations.

3)
    Plenty of forum members will recommend the cable that Mark Grant supplies (see the Power Buys at the top of the cables forum). It is indeed an excellent cable but if you're at all handy with a soldering iron you should also consider making one yourself. As you mentioned earlier it's simply a case of finding some quality wire and some decent plugs. Then you can be sure of the quality of the terminations and the whole product. :)

3. FTU

FTU

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i took your advice and decide to DIY. got some monster cable RCA plugs and high quality coaxial. experimented with different cables finally settled with one that i like. it sounds great. the base is much more clear than what the A/V shop sold me... good advice... thanks..