LFE and Bass Channel

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by KarlRobinson, Feb 25, 2002.

1. KarlRobinson

KarlRobinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have no subwoofer in your system and all your speakers are set to large then I guess all the low frequency sounds go to the relevent speakers.

If you have a subwoofer connected and your speakes are still set to large does this mean that the only sounds going to the sub are the ones programmed to do so via the 5.1 soundtrack or is a simple crossover used to send the lowfrequency sounds in the sub.

I realise that if you have any of the speakers in your configuration set to small then those low frequencies will be sent to the sub as well.

What is best??

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,116
    Hi

Generally, setting all the speakers to small and routing all the bass to the sub will give the best results.

In answer to your first question, if all speakers are set to large the subwoofer will only get the .1 LFE of the soundtrack.

If you have no sub then I think the LFE channel is mixed into the other channels (I´m not 100% sure on this though!!).

cheers

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you have no subwoofer in your system and all your speakers are set to large then I guess all the low frequency sounds go to the relevent speakers.

Yes, but you loose the LFE entirely unless you configure the AV amp to route it to the fronts. (Subwoofer = NO)

If you have a subwoofer connected and your speakes are still set to large does this mean that the only sounds going to the sub are the ones programmed to do so via the 5.1 soundtrack or is a simple crossover used to send the lowfrequency sounds in the sub.

No, only the LFE (.1) will go to the subwoofer.

I realise that if you have any of the speakers in your configuration set to small then those low frequencies will be sent to the sub as well.

Yes. Note that this might also apply to stereo sources then, i.e. sound from CD will also be send to fronts and subwoofer.

What is best??

That depends on your speakers and/or your preference. Mine are all set to LARGE, so the sub will handle only the LFE.

Some amps even allow you to duplicate the bass, i.e. LFE and bass are send to the fronts and the subwoofer (LFE/Bass Out = BOTH). Yamaha amps/receivers e.g. can do so.

4. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    This issue has always confused me.

So setting my speakers to 'small', does it mean only the bass below the selected cross-over frequency will be directed towards the sub?

At the moment, on my Denon 2802 amp, my speakers are set to small and crossover frequency is set to 80Hz. The overall sound is noticeably tinny compared to when I set the speakers to 'large'.

Also, when I set my speakers on large I am presented with 2 options: to set the crossover frequency (I know what that is) and whether if .1 redirection (I think that's what it is) is LFE or LFE+Main. What is that, the user manual isn't very user-friendly?

Is LFE and crossover frequency related or aer they totally different frequency ranges?

Thanks