Lexx DVD offerings - which is best?

jonnymorris

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was looking on Amazon for Lexx and noticed there are two distinct versions available - one is a slimline slip case box set (I assume this means it is like the Lost DVD box sets) containing all of series 1, and another is series one in two box sets, each containing two of the feature length movies from the first series. The box art appears to be different, and if memory serves I think the latter is two full-size DVD cases in a substantial card sleeve.

I'm not really worried about the packaging, but I read in one of the reviews on Amazon that the slimline box set is not the uncut versions of the movies, i.e. the versions I currently have on VHS that say on the cover "feature length uncut version". Probably been censored for certain countries. I would not want a censored version! Then there are all the DVD extras that are mentioned in the 2-disc box sets but not for the slimline slip case one.

Can anyone shed some light on what is in the slimline slip case version and what isn't? I would gladly pay the extra for the uncut versions with extras, but if the slimline version contains exactly the same stuff then I may as well save my money and get that one.

:lease:

Just looked again and I noticed there was only one of the Series 1 Volume 2 DVD sets left! I decided to snap it up along with Volume 1, cost a fair penny but these are like hen's teeth (been looking for them for ages).

There was a considerable difference in the running time too between the box sets - the slimline slip case version had a running time of 346 mins, where as the two box sets combined had a running time of 395 mins; this I take to be the DVD extras and possibly uncut scenes which may be missing from the slimline slip case version. Regardless, I'm fairly confident that I got the most complete version available. Considering how old and low-budget the series was in the first place I don't expect it would be much better on Blu-ray... if it ever gets released on the format.

Best versions are:

Series 1: R2 UK, a couple of scenes use alternate CGI to that broadcast but German, Australian and US versions have cuts

Series 2: UK or US, UK has more commentaries, US more featurettes

Series 3: US, German or UK. UK has a mastering fault that affects a couple of seconds in episode 2.

Series 4: US.

Done properly I think it might scrub up well for BD as the CGI was good for its time. Lafftrak is still a great episode, a series ahead of its time

I wish they'd re-release it all uncut I never saw the complete show only the odd ep. seemed a very fun, quirky sci-fi show.... & Mmmmmm Xev:devil:

Best versions are:

Series 1: R2 UK, a couple of scenes use alternate CGI to that broadcast but German, Australian and US versions have cuts
what has been cut btw?

The US used an alternate language track with less swearing (only a couple of places). The German edition is cut for violence and the Australian has a scene with Zev in the shower reframed for less nudity.

I thought only the first two series were release on Dvd here in the UK?

I agree though - It certainly would make a great Sci-Fi series to turn into Blu-Ray, along with the likes of Farscape and Firefly etc

There were also some changes to the 1st episode of series 1 on the UK R2 DVD release. On the broadcast and video releases the section where Thodin releases the little robot into the wires to release himself is just accompanied by music and sound effects, but on the DVD version they felt the need to add an (I find annoying) squeaky robot voice to explain what he is doing.

Opening an old thread BUT just seen that there is to be a new release of The Complete Series in a DVD Box Set. It is due to be released on March 28th 2011.

I see that it is a R2 release but has any one any idea what version of the movies are included?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Hi Lorr,

As far as I know, the version of the movies included in the LEXX Region 2 UK set, should be the uncut European versions (see details below). The running times will probably be as follows:

Movie 1 - I Worship His Shadow (89m 17s, with a 12 certificate)
Movie 2 - Super Nova (89m 35s, with a 15 certificate)
Movie 3 - Eating Pattern (90m 27s, with a 12 certificate)
Movie 4 - Giga Shadow (89m 06s, with a 15 certificate)

According to Wikipedia:

There are two versions of Lexx, the European and the American one. One point of difference is in the beginning of the first film: in the American version, there is no episode where Stanley is fooled and captured by Feppo. In the European version, this episode is between the death of Kai and the time when Stanley wakes up on the cluster (2008 years later).

Unlike the DVD edition, the German TV release was re-cut to include some flashback scenes at points where they mattered within the story, and not in the chronological order in which they happened. For example, Stanley's capture by the pirates was shown as a flashback in the fourth episode ("Giga Shadow") of the miniseries, whereas the DVD version includes it prior to the Cluster scenes early on in the first episode of the show, somewhat out of context.

The European ones, are the longer editions, in comparison to the American versions. Except for the German versions, where the company who released the series in their country, altered the episodes themselves, without approval of the series' creators. As such, the German editions aren't really considered "official", because of this alteration.

Pooch

Last edited:
Hi,

Received my LEXX boxed set today, and can confirm that the Season 1 movie-length episodes, are identical to previous US and UK DVD releases. :) Ironically, this set is released by Echo Bridge Entertainment, who put out the newest Season 1 release in the USA. The difference is that the UK versions have extras on them! :clap:

All episodes have been re-certificated as 15's, including Seasons 2-4 inclusive, and no cuts appear to have been made to the Season 2 episode "Luvliner" which was originally given a BBFC 18 rating for the sexual material. :eek:

Any episodes originally rated 12 have been upgraded to a 15, purely because Echo Bridge Entertainment, (releasing the series in the UK as "Medium Rare Entertainment""), requested certificates to be undertaken on a disc-by-disc basis, and not episode-by-episode! This reduced the costs during the certification process!

There are 19 discs in total, broken down as follows:

Season 1 - 4 discs
Season 2 - 5 discs
Season 3 - 4 discs
Season 4 - 6 discs

The extras are excellent, and most are 15 minutes or more in length, meaning you get a good amount on this set, and are spread out across all 4 seasons. :) Episodes are visually impressive, with a DD 2.0 Stereo soundtrack, and all are in their original 4:3 aspect ratio. There are no English subtitles of any kind, except those burned-in to the original episodes, where applicable, that translated alien languages into English.

Each Season is in a standard Amaray DVD case, all housed in a thin but reasonably cool cardboard outer case-sleeve.

All-in-all, a set I can heartily recommend. :)

Pooch

Last edited:
I got bored with the show quite early on but my wife found some DVDs of it which we haven't seen the other day. To watch or not to watch, that is the question.

:D
Bri

It certainly was a strange show, was it Channel 4 or 5 that used to show it in the wee small hours??

Hi Soundstory,

It was Five who were the first UK channel to air it, late on Friday nights, around 11:50pm. It was also the slot they used to air "Poltergeist: The Legacy" too.

Pooch

Hi,

Nudity. Eva Habermann in a shower. :blush:

Just to make it even more uncomfortable for all the male viewers, she was only 19 years of age, when she filmed the first three (of four) movies that form Season 1! :eek:

The UK DVD's are all uncut, though... if that helps you to decide whether it's ok to watch a 19 year old in the nude! :eek: :eek:

Pooch

Just wanted to bump this Thread by flagging up this potential bargain:

Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Lexx - The Complete Series [DVD] [1997]

Look at that price!:eek:

Admittedly, there are a few issues:

1. The seller doesn't seem to know what Region the box set is, even though Amazon have it listed as Region 2.

2. Their feedback rating isn't great - wrong items sent.

Still, I took a punt on it tonight and if it all goes tits - er - horribly wrong, then I'll just request a full refund.

Derek

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi,

Just to make it even more uncomfortable for all the male viewers, she was only 19 years of age, when she filmed the first three (of four) movies that form Season 1! :eek:

The UK DVD's are all uncut, though... if that helps you to decide whether it's ok to watch a 19 year old in the nude! :eek: :eek:

Pooch

Yes, problem, what problem :D

Edit

My above post makes no sense now - I got the last one at £9.05 plus £1.26 postage!

If it really is all five seasons then I'll keep it anyway, even if it is not the UK edition.

Derek

Hi Derek,

Edit My above post makes no sense now - I got the last one at £9.05 plus £1.26 postage! If it really is all five seasons then I'll keep it anyway, even if it is not the UK edition.

Derek

I did wonder what your post was referring too, as the cheapest UK set on Amazon's private seller's list, seemeed to be around £38, which is not much different from buying the whole thing brand new from Amazon themselves. I doubt that someone would be selling it for less than £10 though, unless the set was in a really bad condition, or it wasn't the "Complete Series".

I'd be surprised if it wasn't the UK one, as the only other "Complete Series" release, was an Australian one, in a special deluxe box, but that was a Limited Edition, and sets tend to go for £150-£200, so I can't see it being that one.

Still, if you can get it cheap, by all means do so, as it's a great, adult sci-fi show. There's never been anything quite like it, and you have to give the show's creator's much kudos for attempting something totally unique.

However, I should just point out there are only 4 seasons. (Season 1 comprises of 4 x 90-minute TV movies, and then there are 3 TV seasons of various episode lengths: 22, 26 and 13 episodes respectively, if my memory serves me right!) ;)

Pooch

Hiya Pooch, I was wondering when you'd pop up in this Thread!:smashin:

Yes, of course you're right - it is only four seasons, I think I just assumed it was five because it is listed as 19 discs.

And I agree with you, I think it must be a mistake on the seller's part, that I'll get only one season or something.

I guess I'll find out if I got the bargain of the year soon enough....

Derek

I've got five of the original UK boxsets:

They are all cert 15 except 2.01 which is an 18.
When you put them next to each other they make a picture of the cast.

Are these quite valuable now?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom