1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lexicon Processors

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Gary Palmer, Mar 10, 2001.

1. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone know how much difference there is between the DC1 and DC2 ?

(I'm assuming MC1 is way better)

Thanks
    Gary

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not a direct answer to your question, but I listened to the DC-2 and MC-1 and the MC-1 sounded most definitely better (and so it should!)
    One annoying quirk with the processor, when playing DTS a fan kicks in, which sometimes carries noise through to the Front Left Channel. According to their FAQ section this is perfectly NORMAL?!? I would say totally unacceptable.
    Also, no plans for ProLogic 2, DTS Discrete, or Neo 6, you just get what you are given with a total lack of software upgrades.
    Having done a lot of auditions I am extremely happy with my TAG AV32R so would point your browser to www.tagmclarenaudio.com

3. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I have a DC1 and I think the only difference is that the MC2 has more digital inputs and has 24 bit DAC's although some of the later DC1's also had 24 bit DAC's.
    I have a few dts titles and I can say I have never heard any fan noise.
    Logic 7 is excellent and is the only mode I use even though my unit is version 4 software which has EX.
    I must admit that I think Tag charging £80 to download a bit of code from the internet to enable pro logic 2 is a complete rip off especially considering the price of the processor. It should be a free upgrade.

4. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take a look here
    www.smr-forums.com/forums/index.htm

in the Lexicon support forum.

You should find some useful information.
    Here's a question about the dacs

"When I upgraded to V3, I had the option to also upgrade the DAC's to 24-bit, which I didn't opt for at the time. I was wondering if anyone knows if the upgrade is still possible, and how much it is? Also, can it be done at home or is that a factory upgrade? It's probably not worth it, but I can't remember the prices/specs. "

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Date: Tuesday, November 28, 2000 05:04 PM

Hi Mark,

The DAC upgrade costs either $600 or
    $800 (can't remember exactly), and must
    be done at the factory. Lexicon actively
    discourages it (and so do I) because
    although it introduces a possible
    theoretical improvement in resolution, in
    reality it makes no audible difference--the
    DC-1 architecture was designed to
    optimize the original 20-bit DACs, and the
    later change was only because the
    manufacturer replaced the original DACs
    with pin-compatible 24-bit units.

Cheers,
    Philip Brandes

Date: Monday, December 11, 2000 12:48 PM

It's $600, and Philip is right--you won't hear the difference.

-------------

I have a DC1, don't know what software version it is and don't care. The DC1 was my fourth processor, I've had it about 3 years and use Logic 7 exclusively. For me it's the end of the upgrade path, it does it's job brilliantly.

Regards
    Gary

5. Stuart M. Robinson

Stuart M. Robinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

Lots of issues to address in this thread:

Gary Palmer wrote:

"Anyone know how much difference there is between the DC1 and DC2 ?"

The DC-2, although it looks similar, has a revised designed and shares more similarities with the MC-1 than it does with the DC-1. The DC-2 has improved specifications and an upgrade path to multi-channel 96kHz 24-bit which the DC-1 does not support. There's also the option of a digital output and second RS-232 port. In terms of sound quality, the digital performance of the DC-2 improves marginally on the DC-1, but analogue conversions were greatly improved.

Technomad wrote:

"One annoying quirk with the processor, when playing DTS a fan kicks in, which sometimes carries noise through to the Front Left Channel. According to their FAQ section this is perfectly NORMAL?!? I would say totally unacceptable."

A fan, used to cool the Motorola DS56009 DTS engine is included but is only operational in DTS mode. The fan is not needed unless the Lexicon is installed in a high temperature environment (Southern California or above a power amplifier). In most systems in the UK the fan isn't needed and can be disabled by your dealer.

More importantly, the fan categorically does not affect any of the Lexicon's outputs, it certainly doesn't carry noise into the front left channel. There are thousands of Lexicon owners and this has never been reported by any of them. The FAQ states that fan noise may be audible, but that noise emanates from the fan itself, not from any of the Lexicon's outputs.

"Also, no plans for ProLogic 2, DTS Discrete, or Neo 6, you just get what you are given with a total lack of software upgrades."

This isn't correct either. At the moment Lexicon have no plans to introduce Pro Logic II, DTS 6.1 Discrete or Neo 6, but this does not mean they won't in the future. As Confucius suggests, at the present time DTS 6.1 Discrete is exclusively licensed by Denon, Logic 7 outperforms Pro Logic II and Neo 6 is a not a desirable alternative to either. Lexicon have an enviable reputation for software upgrades and it's worth noting that the DC-1 introduced in 1997, is still supported. Lexicon introduced THX Surround EX for all three platforms in late 1999, Meridian and TAG were literally years behind.

GaryG wrote:

"I have a DC1, don't know what software version it is and don't care."

When you turn your Lexicon on, the software version is shown to the right of the front panel display. Even if you don't want to upgrade the software for THX Surround EX and the other operational changes, if you're running an old version it would be still be worthwhile to come up-to-date as the Logic 7 mode is being continually refined. A v3.x to v4 upgrade may not be significant, but if you're running v1.x or v2.x software I'm sure you'd notice significant improvements.

Stuart M. Robinson
    SMR Group – http://www.smr-group.co.uk/

6. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the responses, I'm kind of surprised not to get more response from Lexicon fans (DTS or not!!)

Has anyone compared a DC1 against a Tag ?

How about a DC1 compared to the new Rotel processors ?

[This message has been edited by Gary Palmer (edited 11-03-2001).]

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277

yes, compared with DC and MC. I prefered the Tag. Also tried the Meridian 568. Full report in Tag forum under My experiences in buy TMA............

8. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Gary,

If you are thinking of getting a processor of this quality, you shouldn't forget Meridian. I heard a 568 processor (it could have been 565 or something, I can't remember) and it was brilliant. You know when you hear something and it sounds just a little bit better? The kind of difference you find hard justifying spending all that money achieving? Well the Meridian was out of this world, easily better than anything I'd heard, and by a long chalk. Admittedly, I haven't heard the Lexicon's, but do try to get a demo of the Meridian processor.

Russell