1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lexicon power amps

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by paiger, Feb 9, 2003.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Naybody have any experience of these? I'm looking at the 7 channel one (LX7). I am shortly to upgrade my system and have more or less decided on Arcam DV27/AV8/P7 over Tag but would like to try Lex MC8/MT10/LX7 as well. I want a system that matches really and I like the fact that the MT10 can do SACD and DVD-A.

Can anyone recommend a place to demo Lexicon gear? I don't mind nipping up to London for the day.

I value music over movies but I do like multi channel music, not just stereo. The AV8 was better than the Tag to my ears for this.

Steve

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    Are Lexicon amplifiers rebadged Bryston models? Well, anyway: if you don't mind coming up to London, check out the Cornflake shop on Windmill Street (just off Tottenham Court Road) - they have a great selection of Bryston, Lexicon, Proceed, Naim, Tag McLaren, all sorts.

3. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The older Lex Amps were rebadged Brystons, the newer ones are made specifically for Lex by, I think, Crown, they're another sister company in the Harman International family

Steve

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Pity they chose Crown...can only imagine from what they used to sound like that it's a step down from Bryston....anyone here who remembers the Crown DC300A will know what I mean!

5. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I heard the Lexicon MC12 & LX7 combo in December, very impressive!!!
    I actually demo'd it against the Arcam AV8 & P7 combo which is very good VFM but obviously not up to same sonic level as the Lexicon combo.

I didnt compare the amps using the same processor so I cant say that one is definately better than the other, but I suspect that the LX7 is some what better.

The demo was at Musical Images (Covent Garden).
    These guys are open to negotiation on the price!! :smashin:

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. I'll have to arrange a demo. I guess it will be worth the 250 miles to the capital.

7. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I used to own an LX-7 and was very impressed with it. It was pretty much on par with the multichannel Bryston but didn't have all of the brystons control. I only sold it because I wanted the power and authority of a full mono block system

Phil