Lexicon MC8

targetrich

Standard Member
Reaction score
The search for a new processor has moved on to consideration of a Lexicon MC8. At a little over £2000, is it a bargain? What is it like with hi-fi inputs like my LP12? And what does 'balanced' and 'unbalanced' mean?

Any help appreciated! :thumbsup:

targetrich said:
The search for a new processor has moved on to consideration of a Lexicon MC8. At a little over £2000, is it a bargain? What is it like with hi-fi inputs like my LP12? And what does 'balanced' and 'unbalanced' mean?

Very good price,but I don't have any experience of the newer MC range,although the old ons perform better on AV than on music material,as is often the case.

Balanced Vs unbalanced(or single ended) connections....balanced consists of +ve and -ve plus a ground and unbalanced or single ended(phono connections) consist of just the signal and return.....the balanced mode offers better interference rejection,plus some sonic benefits,and is very useful for long runs of interconnects.

What do you currently own? Ive heard the MC12b with EQ software installed and was very impressed. If it hadnt of had the EQ system I think that maybe I wouldnt have been quite as impressed. I have a Tag AV32DP and at risk of being flamed i think that the Lexicon gear has a very similar sound and considering my DP emptied my pockets considerably less than a MC12 I have quite a big grin on my face as the performance gap is minimal in my opinion :)

the un-balanced (aka single-ended) version will use rca (phono) sockets wheras the balanced version will have xlr input/output sockets (and may well also have the standard phono sockets included).

xlr plugs give theoretically better sound than phonos ....

HTH

MikeC said:
the un-balanced (aka single-ended) version will use rca (phono) sockets wheras the balanced version will have xlr input/output sockets (and may well also have the standard phono sockets included).
Yes it does also have the phono outputs, but it does not have any XLR inputs.
MikeC said:
xlr plugs give theoretically better sound than phonos ....
The real point of balanced XLR outputs is to reduce interference on long cable runs, but only if the amp or active speakers have balanced inputs. If not then this advantage is lost as the signal will then only be single ended, even if using XLR leads but with a phono adapter on one end.

IMO the MC8 is excellent with movies, the best I could find without going really sill with prices. The placement of the effects and steering from one speaker to another is spot on, but this is helped on my system by haveing the same speakers all the way around. Lexicons Logic 7 is the iceing on the cake that is not available on many other makes of receiver/processor.
For music it is not to everybodies taste as it is very accurate and revealing, but I do like it which is just as well as it is the only system I can afford or have space for.

I believe the unbalanced MC8 sells for just over £4k new and the MC8B for £4.8k, so £2000 is a good price (I assume this is a second hand price).

Mark.

targetrich said:

If I'm guessing right your search is over if that's you who got the AV2 on eBay a short while ago! If so, congratulations! :clap:

Yup, that's me! The search is now well and truely over, delighted with the price, a little under £1500. I can put what I've saved towards maybe a 282 for the front left and rights. If I'd have lost the auction, I'd have had a nibble at the Lexicon - my only concern was how good it is with music (my LP12), about which I've found very little information. :D

So its perfect that I can have a dedicated Naim Preamp to go into the Nap250, and use the AV2 for the surround sound. I don't think the AV2 is THX ultra?

The only problem is the price! :rolleyes:

targetrich said:
Yup, that's me! The search is now well and truely over, delighted with the price, a little under £1500. I can put what I've saved towards maybe a 282 for the front left and rights. If I'd have lost the auction, I'd have had a nibble at the Lexicon - my only concern was how good it is with music (my LP12), about which I've found very little information. :D

So its perfect that I can have a dedicated Naim Preamp to go into the Nap250, and use the AV2 for the surround sound. I don't think the AV2 is THX ultra?

The only problem is the price! :rolleyes:

Congratulations! I think you watching the one I bought off eBay a few weeks ago. I'm chuffed to bits with it. Absolutely delighted. I know you won't be disappointed! A nice price too - cheaper than mine by £50! B*stard! :D

A 282 for front left and right? ;) Nice! Think that you might ideally need something a bit more than a 250 if you get that 282!!!

Enjoy!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom