Lexicon MC8 - a few details

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by NicolasB, Jan 16, 2003.

1. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Just been on the phone with a guy from CSE Solutions, Lexicon's UK distributor, who is himself just back from Las Vegas. Some points of interest:

He says the tonal quality is slightly different from that of the MC-12 - he describes it as "more punchy and upfront".

MC-8 (obviously) is limited to eight (7.1) channels rather than twelve.

The DACs are not the same as the ones in the MC-12. They're single mode rather than dual mode.

There's no bass management available on 5.1-channel analogue inputs, unlike the MC-12.

There are slightly fewer inputs, but (unlike the MC-12) it is possible to have two different 5.1 analogue sources connected simultaneously (e.g. 1 DVD-A player and 1 SACD).

The UK price will be £5000 for the unbalanced version or £5700 for the balanced.

Between April and May only there will be trade-ins available on old Lexicon processors. This will be approximately £1000 for a DC1, £1500 for a DC2 and £2250 for an MC-1. (This is assuming that you're dealing with the most fully-loaded, up-to-date version of each).

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    Saw it in the Lexi room at Hilton. Didn't realise they were playing one anywhere though just looked like a static display to me. It did look nicely put together. They also had their DVD player (no digital video output...)

Gordon

3. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    NicholasB

thanks for the info. does not give you much time to trade in your existing processors but nice to have the option. The unit is about the price I expected and the trade in prices seems okay. Will have to have a serious think on whether to do it before April. Would be nice to be able to demo one in my own cinema room to convince my wife though. Did he say when they would be available to demo?

cheers
    Darren

4. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just spoke to a friend of mine who was also in Vegas for the show.
    He has more or less confirmed what was said by CSE Solutions.
    Also more importantly for me, he says that the Bryston SP1.7 is clearly the better option if sound quality is the main priority.

I think I maybe one step closer to purchasing the Bryston!!!

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    I didn't ask, I'm afraid. :blush:

I've just started a thread with some Bryston SP1.7 info in it that you might find interesting.

6. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I will telephone CSE direct and ask them. Thanks for the info It is not even on the SMR-FORUM yet so it must be a bit of a secret at the moment. :cool:

Darren