1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lexicon MC12 vs Meridian G68

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by mattmarsden, Dec 21, 2004.

1. mattmarsden

mattmarsden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Has anyone had a chance to compare a Lexicon MC12 against a Meridian G68?

I would love to know which one is best.

Does the G68 have an analogue pass through, or does it convert everything to digital? Does it have a link for multichannel digital audio device?

2. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Meridian does everything in the digital domain.

G68 incorporates Meridian's MHR SmartLink as standard - If that's what you mean by "multichannel digital audio device". It also has 6 channel input for connection to non Meridian sources.

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    I had the 568.2 v2.5 (which is pretty much regarded the same as a G68 but a bit smoother and with less features) and then went to the MC-8, hardly anything between the mc-12 and mc-8 unless you go to V4 with room EQ.

On movies I would say the the Lexicon definitely has the edge, but on music I prefer the Meridian, a bit smoother, it doesn't sound as dynamic but definitely smoother, so depends what you like.
    Having said that, what are you using for your music source?
    The Lexicon has bypass modes, either a 5.1 and loads of stereo, or you can configure it to have 2 x 5.1 and a few stereo etc. etc. So if your source is very good it can be great, where as the Meridian can do a better job with a basic source.
    If I could have afforded to keep the Lexicon and buy a top notch transport and dac I would have done, but unfortunately I could not. :(

One thing to bear in mind is that alot of people who have bought G series are going back to the 568.2, I know of three people who have already, and a couple more who are thinking about it. The problem with the 568.2 is that you are limited to DVD-A with their own DVD players (expensive) or having a another manufacturers player modded to ouput 5.1 via digital (again very expensive).

what about a Bryston SP1.7? Excellent analogue bypass, but no video switching, although they do have a switcher available for an extra cost.

Can you not hear them both?

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    What about the Arcam AV8? I had a good demo of it against the Meridian a while back and the Arcam was at least as good imho.

Do a search as I was there with Sticker and my wife, we all thought the Arcam was outstanding.

The Demo was held at PJ HiFi last year.

Here it is -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122379&highlight=mini