1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lexicon MC1 price. whats it go for nowadays

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by The Sheriff, Jan 23, 2003.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The guy has a reserved price on it, though £410 would be nice price to pay, would think his reserve price is more around the region of the buy it now price £3,250,00. :eek:

Go halves with you. :D

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,855
    They tend to go for around £2k at the moment second hand for full spec model(well the last few I have seen have managed that much).
    When the new processor comes out (Mc8?) there will be a buy back scheme run by Lexicon for customers to trade up. The last time this happened several dealers bought consignments of the trade ins and flogged them cheapish, expect to see the same in a few months.(Global in Newcastle are a good bet for buying in the trade in stock)

4. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    it will be interested to see what this one goes for then

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +889
    I've seen MC-1s going for as little as £1600, but it's clear that the guy on Ebay has no intention of selling his for anything remotely resembling that price. (Amusingly hifi stores are still offering ex-demo MC-1s for close to £4K).

6. le hutch

le hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a brand new US MC-1 on EBAY, it has a buy it now price of 1.6k.

There were some in the past for the same price that were relabelled as JBL. Is this definately the same?

Could they be used in the UK?

7. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Hi,

The JBL branded version was part of the high end JBL Synthesis system which has always used Lexicon processors rebadged. The JBL model will take all the same upgrades as the Lexicon MC-1.

They can certainly be used over here, but you're going to need a 240V - 110V step down transformer as Lexicons do not have auto sensing power supplies( at least the Cp-3 and DC-1's didn't). Maybe someone here knows if they are internally switchable or if it involves a new transformer.

I hope this helps.

Dave

8. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    If you follow this link to Lexicon, and download the MC1 owners manual (.pdf file), on page 66 of the manual it says:

Power Requirements: 90-250 VAC, 50-60 Hz, 35 Watts (universal input)

So the newer Lexicons have universal Power suplies :)

Mark.

9. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for that. Makes even more sense to bring in one from the USA and save all that money.

As a brief aside have you seen the prices of Lexicon 500T controllers? $300 will net you a unit with the programming software and download cables.

Cheers,

Dave

10. the oracle

the oracle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D Hi. I bought a Lexicon MC1 processor from Sevenoaks in Bristol for three grand a year ago. You'll find that dealers are desperate to sell their demo ones right now, as the new MC8 was shown at CES, and is due for release soon. The MC1 is a really awesome piece of kit and i'm v.happy with it.:D

11. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    auction has ended at £620, wonder if the guy will let it go for that price, after reading some of your posts i seriously doubt it

12. the oracle

the oracle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If he lets it go for that he'd be mad. (must be a Tag McLaren Audio owner!) Ooo, meeow!:clown:

13. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +889
    The guy who bid £621 was me. :D But this was under the reserve price. :eek: :cool:

Something tells me that if the "buy it now" price was over £3200 then he ain't going to want to sell it for that kind of money. :mad: ;) But I've emailed him, might still be able to organise something....

14. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    nicolasB, i would be interested to find out what happens

15. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Nicolas, nice to see your bids on ebay are as good as your bids on our classifieds!

Adzman:D

Any further developments on your proposed setup?

16. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    When I was looking at processors prior to buying a Tag recently,the average price was about £2k....for what it's worth,the MC-1 doesn't have an analogue bypass,although there is an elaborate kludge on the SMR website for doing that if required.

17. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +889
    I bid higher than anybody else did, what more do you people want?! :)

Turns out that this MC-1 was being offered by the Cardiff branch of Audio Excellence. They obviously paid Lexicon (or rather CSE) £3000 for it a year ago and are desperate not to make a loss on it, but I somehow think they're going to carry on getting more and more desperate with the MC-8 coming out. Still, that's their problem.

Bought some cheap cables today: Ecosse Producer (digital coax interconnect), and a cheapie TOSLINK cable from Maplin (£8.99 reduced from £17.99) and some of Maplin's 69p per metre speaker cable. (I'll do some speaker cable auditioning when I have more money - at least this way I don't stand to lose too much money if I do end up replacing them).

I'm probably going to spend a little bit more on analogue interconnects as I suspect I'm going to have problems with mains noise, so I want something that's double-shielded.

Making enquiries about a Nautilus HTM1 centre speaker from the same place I got the 803s from. Awaiting feedback.

Going to get some Atacama SE10 stands to use (with kiln-dried sand) for my current Sony bookshelf speakers at the back (and probably eventually with some Nautilus 805s, although that's still quite a long way down the line).

I'm seriously considering buying a second hand Meridian 568 mk I for £2000. I was hesitant about the price (I've turned down 568s for £2K before) but it's relatively new - just under a year old - and (if you believe the vendor) almost unused beause it was her partner who was putting the system together but he died before it was complete (only a few weeks after buying the 568). It's a hell of a system she's selling, actually - high end Bryston amps and PMC speakers (well beyond what I could afford), fantastically expensive cabling. Unfortunately it's going to involve a four hour drive each way to pick it up, which I am not looking forward to at all.

But there are still some other possibilities open. (I'm just a home cinema processor tart). I really wish I could afford a Bryston SP1.7. Got one shop to quote me £3450, but I think I need to rein myself in a bit. :(