1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lexicon MC1. Any advice from those in the know?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Timmy C, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    After reading some old posts on this forum I've decided to start looking for a second hand Lexicon MC-1 but was hoping for a bit of advice on a couple of points before I part with any cash.

My current set up includes Monitor Audio 8i main speakers bi-amped by Arcam 10ps, Mission 75c centre powered by the third channel from one of the 10ps and Mission 78ds rears powered by an Arcam 290p.

Do you think this will work well with the Lexicon or should I be looking to upgrade this stuff too? I think the speakers will be changed in time anyway but I was hoping to stick with the amps.

I was also wondering if there's anything in particular I should be checking for when looking for a second hand MC-1? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

2. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,161
    Timmy

The Lexicon would work well with the setup you have, but imho you could still go along way to improve things: your current speakers aren't tonally matched, and it can make a BIG difference to the sound; the rears aren't as important but the front three should ideally be identical and if not, at least from the same family, so to speak:)

As for MC-1s, make sure you get one with latest software i.e version 4 (which upgrades it to THX Surround EX I believe), and a visual check to make sure it's not been battered to death. Funnily enough there's one in the classifieds at the moment (oh it's mine!;))

Cheers
    Matt

ps Even if you weren't interested, you're welcome to have a demo if you wanted to hear one.

3. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Timmy

You have PM.

Thanks, received goods in perfect order - will post feedback.

Gus

4. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Thanks for that Matt. I would have bought yours but I couldn't pick it up. Just got one elsewhere for the same price though.

I know my speakers need to be changed. I was using Mission 753fs but I somehow got persuaded to sell them and have missed them ever since. I tried 783's instead but hated them. Do have you any suggestions for a well ballanced package that will be good with music as well as films that would suit the rest of my kit?

Cheers

5. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    he might say Celestions:laugh:

6. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,161
    I might indeed:D Just do a search on here for info on the Celestion A series...you're obviously running a dedicated power amp which would put you in their territory.

I'll say no more as it will just be a sales pitch (;)...look in the classifieds and you'll see a bargain shortly:D -

Cheers
    Matt

PS there are sooo many options for speakers, and everyone has their own opinions....it all depends what kind of sound you like.