1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lexicon MC-8

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by AV Geeza, Jan 9, 2003.

1. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just had a look at the spec for this baby at www.smr-forums.com and it looks like it maybe what Ive been waiting for.
    If the sound quality is in the same league as the MC-12 then I don't mind the fact that it has less features.
    Price maybe around the same as MC-1.
    Not sure when it will be available though, but more details should be out this week.

2. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Below the press release from SMR Forums:

It will definitely be less well equipped, but will run the same software as the MC-12 and will probably will sound pretty much on par with the MC-12.

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Garmtz, am I right in thinking you have the MC12? If so, how is it for music. I have heard people saying it's just average but personally, I just don't believe them. How would you rate it against Tag AVR32 or Arcam AV8?

I'm assuming that the MC8 will be on par, just with less overall features, just what I'm after. At the moment I am set on the Arcam AV8 but Lex have just anounced a DVD-A/SACD player that I am definately salivating over and the MC-8 would of course, match in looks and sound.

Any rough idea on a possible UK price for either MC8 or the DVD player (model escapes me althoug I believe it's RT10).

Cheers

Steve

4. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, I own the MC-12 and I definitely think it is very good with music. It is completely uncoloured however, which makes it sound "boring" to some people that like more colour to their sound. Problem with brands like Tag, Arcam, Meridian, Proceed etc. is that I can hear the "sound" of that brand. The Lex does not have a sound of itself at all, which I think is a good thing.

I however seldom listen to stereo on the MC-12, because the LOGIC 7 (Music Logic) mode in the v.2.0 software is so darn good... I think the MC-8 will be on par with the MC-12 on sound quality grounds.

I think the RT-10 will be around 2500 UKP and the MC-8 will probably be a little less than 5000 UKP. These are rough estimates.

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I agree the Arcam does have a 'sound'. I did like it though, found it similar to the Marantz sound. I do though prefer a neutral representation of the source. The one complaint I had with the Arcam is that it's slightly 'warm' sounding which many people obviously like. I prefer spine tingling any day. It does have excellent levels of detail though.

The RT10 at £2500 will certainly be worth a demo. Is it true that you can import Lex gear from the USA and use it in europe without modification? I can't wait to check this gear out.

Steve

6. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    paiger,
    I would tend to agree with most of what garmtz has said.
    I think that when it comes to music the Lexicon is neutral or transparent as some like to say, but that doesn't mean its the best for you.
    I think it's quite a personal thing and depends on what type of sound you prefer.
    The Arcam is definately on the warm side, whereas the TAG is considered cold and too analytical for some.
    Don't forget that your choice of partnering amp will also have a big say in the overall sound.
    I listened to the Bryston SP1.7 recently and thought that it was best for music, even better than the Lexicon in straight 2 ch.
    However once Logic 7 is applied, its a different ball game, most impressive.
    If the Bryston had Logic 7 then I'd get it without hesitation, but it doesnt!
    Thats why Im considering the MC-8. :)

7. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    AV Geeza,

How would you rate the Bryston SP1.7 against other processors for home cinema use?

8. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nicolas,
    I think that the Bryston SP1.7 is better than the TAG AV32R and Arcam AV8 for movies but loses out to the Lexicon MC-12.
    I recently sold my TAG so Im very familiar with what it can do and although it is very good I feel that the Bryston presents everything in a more natural way. All the detail and impact is still there with the Bryston, its just that it never sounds, err, well, processed or harsh. It presents everything on a large scale and kinda draws you into the middle of it, at least thats how I felt watching Saving Private Ryan (DTS).
    The Arcam is also very good, but not upto the standard set by the Bryston IMO.
    The Bryston is more expensive than both the TAG & Arcam so I suppose it should be better!
    The Bryston does not have any video switching so the cost of the product really is reflected in the overall sound quality and not facilities available.
    I have not listened to Meridian so I can't comment.
    The Lexicon MC-12 is nearly twice the price of the Bryston and really is IMO the reference standard for processors.
    Having said that, the margin between the two is not as obvious as say the Bryston & Arcam.

9. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Interesting stuff, thanks. I'm quite seriously considering a Bryston SP1.7 at the moment, having managed (by dint of some truly vicious haggling) to get someone to quote me £3450 (not a bad discount on the list price of £4250). Mind you, I've seen the Arcam AV8 for as little as £2550 "ex-demo".

From what I've seen of Meridian kit I would class it as good but a little overpriced. The 568.2 does sound better than the Arcam AV8 to my ears, but not by much; and of course to do all the things an AV8 does you'd need a 562 as well, which would take the combined (list) price up to >£5200. (Processor alone is listed at £3825). To really the get the best out of Meridian kit you need a Meridian DVD player and the MHR smartlink connection....

I was thinking about picking up a 568 mk I second hand and upgrading it farther down the line, but since I've been told that the upgrade will cost £900 I've rather gone off that idea. :(

10. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nicolas,
    It seems that youve got a good price on both the Arcam and Bryston!
    If you can afford the Bryston then I really think you should go for it.
    Considering the fact that you have the 9B THX, I think that its the obvious choice. That 20yr warranty is not to be sniffed at!!
    Did you purchase the Nautilus 803's?
    If so, these components would make the start of one helluva set up!!! :D

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good points guys & it confirms that there is some really great gear to choose from when we are contemplating which processor will be proudly sitting in our AV racks.
    I've finally had the chance to hear an Arcam AV8 and i think it's a cool piece of kit. It was being used with the partnering P7 and DV27, and it certainly makes for quite a formidable front end.
    Would i swap in my 568.2 for an AV8?
    No, i dont think i would. I've still (and it may change) not heard any other processor that can deliver consistent (key-word) audio performance across the various delivery formats.
    It's quality in multi-channel, it's quality in 2 channel & it's stunning in Hi-Res DVD-A. It also has some great DSP weapons to turn our CD collection into multi-channel heaven. I do have an advantage as i use a 596 (which i hope to upgrade to DVD-A & Faroudja progressive).
    I think the 568.2 is a better audio all-rounder than the TAG & Arcam & the Lex MC-1's.
    I've not really heard the MC-12 in enough detail to pass comment, although the Meridian 861 is probably in a more 'suitable' position to square upto the MC-12. (£££'s wise)
    I've not heard the Bryston processor, but would certainly like to, as they make such a bleedin' good job on their amps
    :)
    Competition is quite fierce which has to be a good thing!

Adzman

12. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Adzman,
    I knew it was just a matter of time before you tossed the Meridian hat into the ring!! :D

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D :D

Yeah, i get boring after a while dont i!!!!!:)

Trouble is, there aint many of 'us' 568.2 owners in the forum, so i tend to do double shifts!

I'm gonna go & stalk other potential processor buyers:cool:

Adzman

14. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    There is one important problem with sound reproduction that's associated with Meridian processors. Most of the evidence available on this forum suggests that, however good the electronics may be, Meridian owners end up sounding like stuck gramophone records. :D

No offence, Adzman, actually your contributions are invaluable. :)

I can't, really. :( But it does sound rather good. A minor additional issue is that my 9B amplifier has a slightly lower noise floor when you use its XLR balanced inputs than when you use the phono inputs....

Yeah, but they're still in the boxes. :mad: When you turn the line outputs on my TV down far enough to feed them straight into a power amp then it sounds like crap. Unexpected, that: turning them up high and feeding them into an integrated amp sounds very good. This means I've had to bring my processor purchase forward a few months. I had wanted to wait and see how the Lexicon MC-8 turned out, as well as the new processor from Linn and the twin-SHARC THX Ultra 2 version of Tag AV32R.

I am still hopeful that they will. :) Nautilus HTM1 centre will follow when I can afford it, and probably a Paradigm Servo 15 sub.

15. martintyler

martintyler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would think they are all going to cost more than the deal you have on the Bryston, which you say you cant afford.

All the processors mentioned are great bits of kit, dont worry so much about it and just buy one! :)

16. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
  17. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Seen on SMR Forums:

18. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    One other question to previous contributors to this thread: when you talk about 2-channel performance, are you talking about using the processor's DACs to convert PCM streams coming in from a drive that's acting purely as a transport, or are you talking about the processor's abilities as an analogue stereo pre-amp when used with a CD player that does its own conversion? Or both?

If we take the Arcam AV8 as an example, I've heard it being used with an FMJ DV27 in both bypass and processor-DACs mode, and it definitely sounded better in bypass mode. This is important not just in terms of deciding which mode to use if you own one, but when considering future upgrades. In the case of the AV8, for example, I'd probably use it in bypass mode, so a CD player that is better than a DV27 (a Meridian 596, say) would give me an upgrade to two-channel music quality. But if I were using the processor's DACs then it wouldn't.

19. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am talking about 2-ch performance using the internal DACs of the processor. I have not come across a better sounding analogue output in a DVD-player yet (and I have tried the Meridian 568), compared to the DACs in my Lexicon. Furthermore, I like to do bass management in the processor to use my stereo subs, which greatly enhances sound quality in my case (even in 2ch mode).

Remember that you are introducing a set of analogue interlinks, which can also reduce sound quality.

Don't the DV27 and AV8 both use Wolfsson DACs?

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rolleyes:

Some people!

Adzman:)

21. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Adzman, you have all the right to be enthousiastic about Meridian, because it is one of the best brands at the moment. Keep up the good work! :)

22. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nicolas,
    I compared with both for Arcam, Bryston & Lexicon.
    I used the Arcam DV27 in each case and IMO running the player in straight analogue 2 ch sounded more natural.
    If 2 ch performance is of major importance to you, then again IMO the Bryston has the best pre-amp capabilities of the three.
    Apparently it is the equivalent of their highly rated BP-25 pre.
    I think you need to decide whats more important to you.
    If its 2 ch stereo, then I would suggest Bryston.
    If its all round value for money, kinda jack of all trades master of none, then you cant beat the Arcam.
    If films are your biggest passion, then I suspect that the Lexicon MC-8 maybe the one to choose (love that Logic 7!).
    Remember though, the Lex will be more expensive!

You pays ya money, ya takes ya choice!!! :D :D

23. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Film is more important to me, with stereo music listening of secondary interest. But no way in hell am I going to be able to afford a Lexicon MC-8 no matter what happens. :) But I might just be able to stretch to an SP1.7. What I'm most interested in for the purposes of this thread is whether there's enough of a difference in sound quality between the Arcam and the Bryston to justify the price difference. (Haven't actually completely ruled out Meridian or Tag yet, either. I'm just a terrible ditherer, I'm afraid. :( )

24. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FMJ27 + TAG AV32R + Bryston ST works very well, as Michaelab confirmed... :D

I know you wouldn´t trust just my opinion... :p

25. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    NicolasB,
    Yes, I think you are!!! :rolleyes:

At the end of the day (Or at the start of the day for that matter!) only you can decide if the difference in sound quality justifies the higher price.
    If you were to buy the Arcam, i don't think you would regret it, not when your saving a £1000! :eek:
    You could use that £1000 to buy the centre or a sub!!

When i demo'd the processors I used the Bryston 9B THX and it sounded great with all of them. :)

26. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Lowrider,

I might feel better about the Tag if I could find any store in the whole of London where I could listen to an AV32Rbp192 head to head with any of the other processors I've heard. :rolleyes: I've listened to the original AV32R, and I liked it less than the Arcam, but people differ in their opinions as to how much difference there is between one of those and one with the upgraded DACs. (I've heard a bp192EX over at Uncle Eric's batcave but at the time there was nothing to compare it with. I recall Eric saying that in his opinion it beats the Lexicon MC-12 for sheer sound quality.) One big advantage of the Tag, of course, is that I could (maybe) spend a bit less up-front and then upgrade (to 7 channels, for example) as and when it became useful rather than having to pay for everything right away.

If I could find a second hand Bryston SP1 that'd be a similar possibility.

Well, yes, but that doesn't mean it isn't valid to sample other people's opinions and advice. What else is this forum for? :)

27. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am sure you can get an used AV32R cheaper than the AV8, I have 7.1, tried it, but it actually spoiled the sound, unless you have a very large room, mine is not small, 4,5 x 8 meters, you don´t need 7.1

Then you wait for whatever TAG is coming up with, plus more money in the bank, and upgrade just what you need...

You also don´t need the bypass, the 32 DACs are more than good enough, you can wait for the availability of digital output for DVD-audio, (as I am doing), and then do the upgrades...

Upgradeability is a huge advantage, you know every brand claims some, but...

Even if they re-invent the wheel, you wont loose much in a used TAG, and this seems to me the cheapest high-end approach at the moment, you do have limited budget...

Plus, you don´t learn everything in the foruns or at the stores, you need hands-on approach to refine your criteria, believe me, I learnt that the hard way, lots of upgrades... :blush:

28. omstennis

omstennis
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    need help with the MC-8 Remote Control !!!!!!!!!!!!
    I bought the MC-8 but no remote control, can anyone help me:
    #1. Where I can buy the Remote Control
    #2. Without the Remote Control how I can get in the SETUP Menu ?
    Thanks

29. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Quickest/cheapest/easiest option is probably to pick up a cheap Logitech Harmony remote as it seems according to the page in the link below they have the remote codes in their database. Good luck!

Device Compatibility