• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Lexicon. MC-12 MC-12

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Hello.

I'm currently using an excellent MC-1 v4 as a stereo preamp into actives.

It's excellent at the job and I'm very pleased.

But I have the chance of getting an MC-12 for a good price and I'm wondering if it's worth doing so?

I'm interested only in its abilities as a stereo preamp.

Does anyone have any experience of the 12?

I'd appreciate any help before I lash out my cash please?

BobbyMac

Banned
Wouldn't you be better off buying a dedicated stereo amp if you're only intersected in Stereo playback?

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Finding a stereo preamp with enough digital and analogue inputs for the price is impossible.

Plus, despite the relative age of the Lexicons, they remain pretty impressive. Something of the same or even poorer would be more expensive.

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I’d be very happy to lend you a Lyngdorf TDAi2170 for use as a pre amp. You’ll find it cleaner and clearer than the MC-12 and once RoomPerfect is run it will give the most even in room response possible from your system.

If you are using a sub or subs it also has the best bass management available so speaker/sub mix will be seamless.

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Would an Arcam AV8 not be a cheaper way to go? I have an MC1 and an AV8 on different set ups and while I prefer the Lexicon by a long way when it comes to movies, I much prefer the Arcam for stereo.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I’d be very happy to lend you a Lyngdorf TDAi2170 for use as a pre amp. You’ll find it cleaner and clearer than the MC-12 and once RoomPerfect is run it will give the most even in room response possible from your system.

If you are using a sub or subs it also has the best bass management available so speaker/sub mix will be seamless.

Thank you for the offer Rob. I’d love to take you up on it, but I can not afford to buy one as yet, so that would be rude of me.

It’s still my plan to have one though. And I expect that to be the end of my search. I might hanker after better speakers in the future, but the Lyngdorf will, I’m sure, be my last amplifier.

Until, of course, I can afford the Steinway version.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Would an Arcam AV8 not be a cheaper way to go? I have an MC1 and an AV8 on different set ups and while I prefer the Lexicon by a long way when it comes to movies, I much prefer the Arcam for stereo.

I ended up with an MC-4 for a ridiculously bargain price. Even cheaper than an AV8, which incidentally would have been my first choice :smashin:

Also, I do like the Logic 7, even in stereo mode.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I wasn’t expecting it to be. But it seems like it to me. I’m always dubious about music memory.

But the dacs are more modern ones and there does seem to be even more detail. I like it.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom