Lexicon MC-1 Repair

grey torq

Established Member
Reaction score
My Lexicon MC-1 has died after 10 Months of use, although the unit itself is probably 4/5 years old.

I bought it as a bargin off ebay and now I know how good movies can sound it could prove very expensive to replace.

However the repair looks like it should be pretty straightforward as it looks like the capacitors on the power supply board, have burnt out.

I have no dealer support so the question is does anyone know of a dealer or repairer who might be able to help, I have tried CSE solutions without any joy.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks

I've used Lexicon for several years and every time i've wanted to get an answer to a question the people at CSE have been great.As Mat says what did you ask and what was the answer.
Also if it helps the most common problem with the DC1,DC2 and MC1 are the psu's,i know this because my old DC1 went after about 3 years.And just to check i rang CSE and asked them if they had any in stock ,they have and the cost is £69.Will admit that i didnt ask them if this included fitting etc but they answered the phone and the chap was very friendly and knew what he was talking about.

Initial enquiry was by email so they must have missed it. Just rang them and got myself sorted it was £100 but to be honest I don't give a stuff about the price as the new PSU should be with me tomorrow.:clap:

Fingers crossed my Lex will keep going for a fair few years now and I don't think you could buy anything new that would sound better for movies, for less than £2000.

Thanks for the prompt help.:)

Update,

Thanks to the people at CSE my PSU arrived today and I've installed it and everythings up and running as if it hadn't fried.:clap:

Now to settle back to enjoying X3 tomorrow in glorious DVD quality sound & vision and I'll leave the forums to argue themselves into oblivion about HD-DVD and Bluray.

Thanks again.

Good stuff :thumbsup:

The CSE guys are great aren't they...really looked after me when my Primare hi-fi equipment had a couple of issues!

BTW - how do you find the Lexicon with the Rotel power amp? Been thinking of the MC-1 paired with my Rotel 1075...

Steve :)

The usual you would need to audition or get something on home trial caveat but I'll try to explain how I find it

My main left & right channels go through my music listening amp which is the MF amp. Very nice amp which has a clean warm and limpid bass ideal non-fatiguing listening not enough cinema slam for some.

The Rotel is a 6 channel power amp and I only use 5 channels 1 for centre, 2 for side surrounds & 2 for rear surrounds. The rears are KEF eggs but the sides used to be my main floorstanders and are good MA speakers.

The rotel doesn't even get warm which is unusual for a power amp, the sound is detailed and warm you hear all the subtle detail and ambient atmosphere. The lexicons bass management is the thing that gives real body to the sound. I guess with more harsh in-your-face amplification you would get more frighteningly real impact but your neighbours might kill you.

Another note of caution is that although the lexicon is very simple to set up through the menus it can sound very different depending what parameters you set, you can get an overblown bass sound if you're not carefull. This is also a worry for auditioning because it might just be set up in default or badly.

Hope this helps.

My MC-1 is dead again (PSU cap blew last time) looks like the cheap *** PSU. Has anyone used a external high quality RELIABLE power supply and bypassed the one inside the unit?

I speak as a long time Lexicon user,had a DC1 and the MC1.They both use a switch mode power supply(its the same one in both for anyone who wants to know).Switch modes are good for audio units,very clean and little noise.The bad point about them is that they do just tend to "go".They dont like been switched on and off from the mains or left for a long time then turned back on.The nearest thing you can compare them to is a light bulb.....some last for ever and they only ever go when you turn them on or off.
One last thing to remember for anyone who ever changes a psu(both standard and switch mode) is that they can hold a charge for a very long time.It hurts!!.

I guess they are covering themselves but the piece of paper that came with my new PSU said 'lethal voltages due to charged capacitors allow a minimum of 5 minutes after disconnection before handling'

Managed to fix mine, just a couple of resistors changed.

I guess they are covering themselves but the piece of paper that came with my new PSU said 'lethal voltages due to charged capacitors allow a minimum of 5 minutes after disconnection before handling'

Got a shock off the PSU after I disconnected it. Not lethal as I wouldn't be here. Arm retracted and I went ow!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom