1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lexicon MC-1 built in test tone?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by nathan_silly, Oct 12, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read that Matt sets his subwoofer lower than the mains by 5/6dB, according that the rat shack meter is inaccurate at lower frequencies.

If this is correct- I need to know what the MC-1's internal test tone (to the subwoofer) is outputted to.

I've found the figures..

12Hz add 16.5dB
    16Hz add 11.5dB
    20Hz add 7.5dB
    25Hz add 5dB
    31.5Hz add 3dB
    40Hz add 2.5dB
    50Hz add 1.5dB
    63Hz add 1.5dB
    80Hz add 1.5dB
    100Hz add 2dB
    125Hz add .5dB

So if I calibrate the other 7 speakers to 85dB, what should I set the subwoofer to? 79/80db?

Thanks

2. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Nathan.

So many factors, set the sub to what sounds right to you.

(for the sake of saying it)
    Is the test tone white/pink/brown?
    Is the range 20-80, 50-80, 30-120hz?
    What frequqncies are your room enhancing?

regardless of meter inaccuracies if the you are getting a (i.e) 10db lift at 50hz then are you setting your level to this peak and suffer the lower output of other frequencies or do you set it up to not include a known peak etc etc etc etc etc etc.

This calibrating a subwoofer "nonsense" is so innacurate unless you know the sub/room respnse is flat - just use your ears.

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,830
    Well nathan's gone now, but I would echo what Steve says. Ears are king when it comes to subwoofers.

I have a reasonably flat response (using a BFD) with twin Servo's, and -5db to my mains (all 7 channels calibrated to 75db using the Lex's internal test tones, subwoofer calibrated to 70db) produces a sound which has punch, depth, but is utterly seamless.

I consider myself to be a novice in this game, as soon as people start talking "technical" I tend to lose the plot...so I'm even more pleased that after probably 12 months of constant upgrading and "tweaking", that I've arrived at a place where I can honestly say....it sounds bloody great. I've learnt to listen to what my ears are telling me (that sounds stupid but imho it's sooo true), and as a result I enjoy the sound of my system more than ever.

Use yer ears!