Lexicon MC-1 8 channel Analogue by-pass

sprout

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just fitted the Lexicon MC-1 8 channel Analogue by-pass kit.

I have to say it is fantastic to have this feature and to be able to use it for HD-DVD, SACD etc.

It has breathed new life into this classic :cool:

Wondered if anyone else had taken the plunge?

Cheers

sprout

Was it Shawn Foggs version? if so how tricky was it to fit the soldering? put me off? fancy doing one for me too? If not Shawns where did it come from?

Was it Shawn Foggs version? if so how tricky was it to fit the soldering? put me off? fancy doing one for me too? If not Shawns where did it come from?

Yes it was Shawn Foggs.
It's basically a strip down to be able to remove the main board, then some de-soldering and soldering.
Looks worse than it is but if you have not done reasonably fine soldering you may not enjoy it.
Of course there is risk you can damage things by taking apart and re-assembling, just a lot of care really.

His price is very reasonable to send it to him in the States, just have to live with the shipping and time each way.

sprout

what did it cost to ship to the US ? and how long did teh upgrade take overall?

Very nice work Sprout :thumbsup:

Yeah I'm just in the process of doing my own MC-1 8 Channel input, but it's my own design, a few improvements over Shawn's, but more work and difficulty, but definitely worth it.

I have also made 'improvements' to the infamous switch mode power supply which will undoubtedly improve the sound further, since my own needed an overhaul. :rolleyes:

For those who aren't keen on DIY, looking to upgrade their MC-1 power supply, dead or still hanging in there, I will be offering an all in one 'upgrade' service inc return delivery at a very competitive rate compared to the £92.83 for a new one. Also the bypass upgrade will be available shortly with options.

I have just bought some hosting since I needed one anyway and will hopefully have it up and running soon (nothing there yet) at www.logic7.co.uk, he says, touches wood! Nothing like trying to do two things at once. :rolleyes:

Very nice work Sprout :thumbsup:

Yeah I'm just in the process of doing my own MC-1 8 Channel input, but it's my own design, a few improvements over Shawn's, but more work and difficulty, but definitely worth it.

And the improvements are?
It is more difficult because?

I have also made 'improvements' to the infamous switch mode power supply which will undoubtedly improve the sound further, since my own needed an overhaul. :rolleyes:

But it is still the same switch mode power supply used?
The improvements are?
Covering insured postage each way and doing the work for less than a replacement suggests it is "THE" very minor change to the supply?

It would be good to see your mods detailed and listed :cool:

sprout

Yes it was Shawn Foggs.
It's basically a strip down to be able to remove the main board, then some de-soldering and soldering.
Looks worse than it is but if you have not done reasonably fine soldering you may not enjoy it.
sprout

Hi,

So would you recommend anyone that has not done any or much soldering not to attempt this?

cheers

Garyc

It would be good to see your mods detailed and listed :cool:

sprout

It's more difficult because it involves a lot more work.
Details will all be on my website hopefully shortly, once I can get hold of iLife/iWeb.

The SMPS isn't minor either. Delivery is the supply on it's own, removed and sent to me, then returned. Not the complete lex unit.
Take simply for instance the main res cap. Fully dried out and actually the polar plates & what was left of the electrolyte was rattling around like a cork inside it, serving about as much use as a poke in the eye. :) Anyway it'll be all there in detail soon.

Cheers,
Neil.

Hi,

So would you recommend anyone that has not done any or much soldering not to attempt this?

cheers

Garyc

That is a very difficult call.
I would say don't if you have never done any.
Possibly if your little bit was fairly fine work and very successful.

You have to have the confidence of removing everything to be able to do the work and believe you will not damage anything mechanically of electronically (static etc.) in the process.

:smashin:

It's more difficult because it involves a lot more work.
Details will all be on my website hopefully shortly, once I can get hold of iLife/iWeb.

The SMPS isn't minor either. Delivery is the supply on it's own, removed and sent to me, then returned. Not the complete lex unit.
Take simply for instance the main res cap. Fully dried out and actually the polar plates & what was left of the electrolyte was rattling around like a cork inside it, serving about as much use as a poke in the eye. :) Anyway it'll be all there in detail soon.

Cheers,
Neil.

It must be over complicated if it involves "a lot more work" sounds like job protection :D

Of course caps will be dried out in that environment :confused:

Thread is probably best suited to those wanting to share information rather making a profit ;)

sprout

It must be over complicated if it involves "a lot more work" sounds like job protection :D

Of course caps will be dried out in that environment :confused:

Thread is probably best suited to those wanting to share information rather making a profit ;)

sprout

Well you're entitled to your opinion which is fine. Didn't mean to intrude on your thread and hence why I didn't go into detail. Just added a link for others who want it done. Unless you are going to do theirs too.

As Ian will no doubt back me up when I say I wasn't keen on offering 'services' for folks who don't fancy tackling it, due to responces like yours, which was on another thread when I was asked just like you were above if you'd fit it for others.

I barely make anything and given the possible damage and time involved are you suggesting I do things for free or at my cost for others? I think you'll find Shawn made a profit selling you his kit, which is fine and is the way of the world. I'm not out to rip folk off, but I'm not doing stuff for free either.

I was more saying well done on the mod and yeah I was doing one too, which is what I thought the topic was anyway. :)

I was more saying well done on the mod and yeah I was doing one too, which is what I thought the topic was anyway. :)

Absolutely, but you have gone on to add an empty link with statements of how much better yours is.
Just wanted to know what it is all about so I and others can debate the technical, sonic and possible, if any, improvements your mod carries over Shawn Foggs which:
Has been proved
Is available now
Has a working website
Has fantastic support for those that need it

I have full bandwidth, full bypass HD-DVD audio at the push of one button, look forward to see how this can be improved upon.

sprout

Hi Sprout,

Sorry but may I just ask whether you have a back ground in electronics interms of your experience with the solder iron?

So I gather you are happy with your upgrade?

cheers

Gary

Hi Spout,

Sorry but may I just ask whether you have a back ground in electronics interms of your experience with the solder iron?

So I gather you are happy with your upgrade?

cheers

Gary

Gary,
Yes I do
However, I am sure there will be lots of people who can do it without that background.
It is just difficult for me to advise, the safe answer would be to say no, if you have no background.
However I think that is like saying only a trained bricklayer can build a wall, not true, but some will make a real pigs ear of it :)

sprout

I looked at Shawns very detailed pictures on how to install and was very impressed with the instructions but it looked way past my abilities. I may be able to knock up some cables and change parts on hard wired circuits but this looked far to delicate for me.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom