1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lexicon DC2

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Edgeyboy, May 18, 2001.

1. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Does anybody know if the Lexcicon DC2 supports DTS ES Discrete 7.1 ?

2. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Sorry, meant to say 6.1 !!

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Don't think so. Also I believe that Lexicon aren't intending to facilitate it any time soon.

Gordon

Contact CSE distribution in the UK and ask them. They are the guys with the five page type add at the beginning of Home Cinema Choice each month.

4. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I asked the same question, about a month ago and was also told there were no plans for Lexicon to introduce this.At the time Denon were the only people licenced (I suspect this has changed now.) I was looking to buy a used DC-1 and wanted something upgradeable, which I thought it would be. I guess in time it will happen, but how long is anybodys guess.

Stuart M Robinson, would you know?

Regards Rob.

5. Stuart M. Robinson

Stuart M. Robinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob,

“Stuart M Robinson, would you know?”

Yup. The DC-1, DC-2 and MC-1 all support DTS ES (the matrix variety) and have since the autumn of 1999, it was easy to implement in software given that the seven-channel architecture required was already in place. However, for DTS ES 6.1 Discrete support, the Dolby/DTS daughter-card will have to be replaced since the Motorola DSP56009 engine Lexicon use cannot be expanded to deliver seven discrete channels.

This is not to say the Lexicons won't be and cannot be upgraded (pretty amazing considering the DC-1 was launched in the spring of 1996), it's just that Lexicon haven't decided it's worth the bother – there are only a handful of suitably encoded titles.

Personally, I wouldn't let the current lack of DTS ES 6.1 Discrete sway your decision, the majority of Lexicon users believe Logic 7 to be superior.

It is however, worth noting that the recently announced MC-12 and MC-12 Balanced are both equipped with DTS ES 6.1 Discrete – http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Lexicon/mc12/ - so Lexicon have the technology and it's likely to filter down.

Stuart M. Robinson
    SMR Group – http://www.smr-group.co.uk/

6. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Stuart,

Thanks for clearing that up! It seems most Lexicon users favour Logic 7 over ES/EX. (the "why have 6 channels when you can have 7" view). Don't think I can stretch to an MC-12 just yet. Having trouble getting hold of a DC-1 at the moment. My original one fell through. Guess I'll have to keep looking!

Regards Rob.

7. Stuart M. Robinson

Stuart M. Robinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob,

Well, one good thing about the DC-1, DC-2, MC-1 and MC-12 for that matter, is that you have the choice of either Logic 7 or THX Surround EX or DTS ES, then it's just a question of which you prefer. In my experience, THX Surround EX works best if the material is deliberately encoded; if you apply the mode to standard 5.1 material the results are variable (the same applies to any EX processor). Logic 7 on the other hand, works with all 5.1 software.

“Don't think I can stretch to an MC-12 just yet. Having trouble getting hold of a DC-1 at the moment. My original one fell through. Guess I'll have to keep looking!”

Have you tried asking the distributors CSE (tel: 01423 359054)? They usually know the whereabouts of at least one DC-1 and the source will often be a reputable dealer. I doubt you'll pay more than you would via a private transaction, plus you'll have a certain level of support.

However, if I were you I'd hang on a month or two, when the MC-12 becomes available a large number of DC-2 and MC-1 will be traded-in and their value on the used market will fall, thereby you may find that your budget will stretch to a newer model.

Stuart M. Robinson

8. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks again Stuart,

I think you are right. It will probably be worth waiting a bit. I will hopefully be able to stretch to a DC-2. I think the exrta would be worth it. Can the DC-2 handle DVD Audio?

Regards Rob.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lucky Ba$t&rds!

10. Stuart M. Robinson

Stuart M. Robinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob,

“Can the DC-2 handle DVD Audio?”

Yes… and no. The problem with DVD-Audio is that there still isn't an agreed digital interface, so one has to use some type of proprietary scheme, or six analogue connections. The analogue route the Lexicon cannot do – only the new MC-12 is equipped with a true 5.1 analogue bypass, but the MC-1 can accept six channels of 96kHz 24-bit PCM via three digital expansion port inputs. The DC-2 shares the same architecture and can be suitably upgraded. The DC-1 cannot.

Lexicon's plan was (is) to wait for a digital interface and then produce a small external box, controlled by the RS-232 to unpack MLP or DSD and pass the audio to the expansion ports. Unfortunately, until that digital interface materialises, we're pretty much stuck.

I personally find this issue most annoying. Early adopters of DVD-Audio and/or SACD are likely to be those with expensive digital processors, but without an agreed digital interface, they're forced back into using analogue connections. That goes against the grain, so the market has all but ground to a halt.

Stuart M. Robinson