1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lexicon DC1

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by fatrich, Aug 20, 2001.

1. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Does anyone know where there any lexicon dc1 forsale with version 4 upgrade (none in the classified section) how is it possible to tell if it has been upgraded (apart from obviously getting a demo)

regards

richard

i forgot to say please and thankyou

2. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fatrich,

Try calling Mark Allcock at CSE (http://www.csesolutions.co.uk)

He often has great DC1 (and DC2 and MC1) bargains - second hand prices with 12 months warranty..

Cheers<br />Gary

3. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks Gary<br />Can you tell me the difference between the version 3.1 upgrade and the version 4 upgrade, i can get a dc1 with the 3.1 upgrade for £1295 is that good value in your eyes or am i better looking for a unit with the version 4. Is it expensive to upgrade the 3.1 to 4.00

thanks

richard

4. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Fatrich,

I believe that version 3.1 to version 4 gives you the EX modes.

I've actually got a DC1 and didn't bother with the EX upgrade as Logic7 sounds superb and gives you the rears and sides that EX gives. I preferred Logic7 with 5 speakers to plain THX in every mode/combination I've tried.

I think the upgrade to V4 is about $300-400 but I really don't think it's worth it. Spend $400 on DVDs instead !

Is £1295 for V3.1 DC-1 good value ? Well I am a bit biased ! I thinks it's a fantastic processor and I doubt you'll be disappointed (unless you are a hairy shirt stereo HiFi nut).

I've seen a DC-1 going at Fanthorpes in Hull for a similar price with 12 months warranty.

It is getting old though (only 2 digital inputs). If you can find a DC-2 for similar money it might be a better investment.

I've never heard the Tag or the Rotel processors so I'd recommend a listen before you spend that kind of dosh... Logic7 kicks sonic derrier though ;-)

You'll have lots of fun choosing..

Gary

5. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi Gary<br />the dc1 that i am on about is at the very shop you mention but they are offering only a 1 week return policy with it been second hand do you think i should go for it on that basis and what do you think i should offer (ps how did you hear about it ?)

Kind Regards

richard

6. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Spooky,

I thought I was a lonely Lexicon fan on this site and now it looks like there could be 3 DC-1 owners who all frequent the same HiFi shop in Hull...

My experience with Fanthorpe's has always been really good. They're a bit scruffy but genuinely helpful. If they'll let you play with it for a week with a temporary credit card transaction why not give it a whirl !

Give Mark a call though, it may be worth it..

Gary

7. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Gary<br />Mark is on holiday but i spoke to a chap who said they were distributers and i couldn't buy direct, i am not sure if £1295 is a lot to lay out with out a guarantee.

regards

richard

8. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spent well over 3x the amount you are talking about on a DC1 and that was when v2 was the current version. At £1295, unless it's got a big dent in it and it doesn't work I would suggest you pull your finger out and buy it sharpish before somebody beats you to the punch. You will then be the owner of one of the finest dolby digital decoders money can buy!

9. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Gary <br />Thanks for your help and advise

regards

richard

10. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Richard,

Email me a phone number and I'll see if I can help.

I understand the warranty bit. It IS a risk buying second-hand but I would personally consider it worth it as the DC-1 cost £4,000 originally and is pretty damn good.

As with most solid-state electronics (i.e. no mechanics like a DVD or Video) if a processor is likely to fail it will probably do so in it's first year of life or it's last year of life....

For the record at least half of my hifi is second-hand and they only problems I've had have been self-inflicted... and that's what insurance is for!

Gary

11. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi gary<br />have just sent you mt phone number from my private e-mail address.

regards

richard

12. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    For the record I bought a DC1 from fanthorpes in Hull and I negotiated a 3 month warranty and I am glad I did. When I bought it the DVD player I had at the time was not capable of DTS. About a week before the waranty ran out I replaced my DVD and found that the DC1 would not recognise the DTS stream. I contacted Fanthorpes who suggested I phone Lexicon to see if I was doing something wrong. Lexicon agreed that the DTS board was probably faulty and said they would send the dealer a new DTS board the next day and I was to contact the dealer to arrange for replacement. They did not even ask me if it was still under warranty or second hand. I think Fanthorpes was as suprised as I was when I told them. The DTS board arrived but the unit still did not work with DTS so Lexicon swopped the whole unit out no questions asked. Now that is what I call a great service. I have had it for about 18 months now and I would not replace it with anything else, the sound quality especially in Logic 7 is excellent.<br />I paid £1900 for mine with version 4 software. You cannot go wrong at 1295 but I think the moral is to try and get a bit more warranty and test out all modes when you get it.

13. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    went to Hull over the weekend<br />and bought the DC-1 paid £1200 for it and got a one week returns warranty it seems ok so far

regards

richard

14. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wow, I agree that is top service from Lexicon.

FYI - if anyone else is looking for a DC-1 take a look at the classified section..

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: Gary Palmer ]</p>