1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lexicon DC1 Vs Tag AV32R EX?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by rigman, Mar 5, 2002.

1. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi

just wondering if any of you users or dealers have ever had the chance to compare the two mentioned processors. I have the DC1 but I have also got a DVD32R and although I know that buying the same make components is not always the best option I was wondering if in this case the AV32R would be the better option. It would mostly be used for movies.

Also has anyone had the chance to listen to the new 192bit version of the AV32 and if so does it sound any better than the existing (about to be phased out) version.

I have been on the Tag forum but they are obviously more biased towards the Tag so I thought I would ask here to get a more unbiased opinion especially from the dealers who maybe stock both brands.

thanks

Darren

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Darren

You have to be careful on asking this here as the same people who frequent here are also regulars over at Tag. Yes the Tag lot may be biased but most / all of us have been through this already. People aren't afraid of speaking their minds on the Tag board, even if it is not what Tag want to hear. That is why it is so ggod. It was nice that USA/ Canadians answered your questions over at Tag. Without a DVD32R the AV32R just edges ahead of the MC1 / 568 Meridian IMHO. Feed it a DVD32R signal it is a no brainer. If you search the Tag web site, look for a long thread called MY EXPERRIENCES BUYING...

I tried to put my feelings on paper when I bought my Tag. I have heard all the processors since then and haven't changed my mind, though I have heard some other good processors. The killer bit is the Sync link DVD32 which you have already.

I am afraid I can't comment on the 192s but ALL the press has been VERY positive, even the Cynics.

Dominic from Cumbria

3. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Okay Nic thanks for your reply. I suppose that is why I mentioned dealers at the start of the thread as they maybe would have listened to quite a few processors and could maybe give an unbiased view. There is always a danger that people who own the same kit have to say it is great as a way of justifying to themselves that they have made the right choice. I auditioned a couple of high end DVD players alongside the Tag and the Tag was superior in every way. In fact it was my wife that was insisting that I bought it which is always a good sign as she is my main critic of kit I audition and is great for use during blind testing.
    Ron H view was pretty balanced I thought as he said the AV32 was as good for movies and far better on 2 channel. I will do the auditions of the AV32 as soon as I can (with the wife ;) ) and let you know my thoughts.

thanks

Darren

4. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darren

If you didn't already have the DC1 then buying the Tag would be a very sensible option. However, given that you do already own a fine processor is it worth the cost of changing? At the level of these processors the differences are minimal, you would be spending a lot of money for little gain, assuming of course that the Tag is the better processor. I have a DC1 and don't even think about the processing side of my system anymore, it's done and that's that. Perhaps there are other areas of your system where the money would be better spent? For example do you have a projector, do you have a quality screen, is your amplification up to scratch and of course last of all!!?? have you got plenty of DVD's to make all this kit worthwhile? So, whilst not answering your question perhaps it's given you something else to think about, now if I could just stop thinking about upgrading my Nokia 8250 for the Ericcson T68....

5. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    mmmm you do have a point Gary. I have a Barco Graphics 808s so cant spend the money there but maybe the screen could be better (a Dalite electrol video spectra) but I have only had if for 4 months so I cannot upgrade that for at least another two months :p
    DC1 is the oldest bit of kit I have but come to think of it would I hear any difference at all considering I spend my time munching crisps/sweets and slurping beer when I am watching a movie :clown:

Will get a demo and if it is not worth the extra to upgrade then I will have to spend it on the kitchen :eek:

cheers
    Darren

6. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the screen front, I have the Da-Lite High Power Cinema Contour and can attest to the quality of Da-Lite, a really professional product. Bought the screen to go with my NEC LT150 and the colours pop off the screen, however, initially I was less than impressed when using it with the overhead CRT, being retro-reflective the light is reflected back to the source so the image is slightly dimmer when seated and is colour shifted slightly (colour temperature is too warm) which was soon corrected after a bit of tweaking. I'll be interested in hearing your opinion on the Video Spectra material.

7. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Gary

to be honest I have not really seen many other screens. I did not want to go too dear i.e a Stewart and I did not want to go too cheap so I went for the Dalite as it seemed to be ideal for my needs i.e good quality and electric. The video spectra is 1.5 gain and it is suitable for ceiling mounted CRT's acording to the blurb. I am very happy with it and can get my room almost fully light free having fitted blackout linings to the back of my curtains. There is a slight imperfection due to it not being tab tensioned buts thats to be expected and is only visible when there is no picture showing. My projector was set up by Roland and gives an excellent picture. All in all no complaints really. Maybe sometime in the future look at changing it but not for quite a while as I would not like to have to get the PJ set up again if the distance is slightly different.

hope that helps

Darren

8. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darren

Thanks for the info, although I'm happy with my setup now, I may still go for a change of screen material later in the year just for a comparison, got other things on my mind at the moment. Bought a Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro a couple of weeks ago and just haven't had the time to plumb it into my sub yet. Did some frequency measurements last weekend and found out I've got some serious peaks to sort out, not enough hours in the day at the moment:rolleyes: