1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lexicon DC1 processing vs budget amps

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by jookster, Feb 6, 2005.

1. jookster

jookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how does the processing of an ancient Lexicon DC1 compare to say a Yamaha 650/750 etc?

Thanks

2. jookster

jookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is this question too stupid to be answered?

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    No, you just need more patience :)

4. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Am I right in thinking a Yamaha 650 costs around £300 and has all amps built in? If so I think it's safe to say a DC1 will wipe the floor with it once you get suitable power amps to use with it.

I'm sure someone who's heard both will be along soon with clearer advice.

5. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    No contest, i just sold a TAG AV32R and for now am using a DC1, and i was amazed how good it sounded (actually prefer it for movies).
    Logic 7 was years ahead of the rivals and partnered with a decent power amp can still hold it's own against the current crop.

6. jookster

jookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Amazing that the DC1 is better than than a TAG AV32R Cyrus. Do you use the Logic 7 all the time or use Dolby and DTS too?

7. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I would not say better just different,(TAG is very detailed just not the atmosphere of lexicon) I use Logic 7 for everything DD and DTS.

If your thinking about the DC1 in the classifieds version 3.10 is fine as you would never use EX processing.

About £500 is the going rate

8. jookster

jookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eek dont tell him the advertiser that Cyrus, on ebay a version 4.0 went for £440. I would certainly rather have the 4.0 Version to have the option of ES/EX. I did read someone comment on Logic 7 being great with Pro-logic,mono etc, but rather muddy with Dolby and DTS.

How would the old (fairly cheap) Dolby Digital processors fare with new stuff btw? Like the Harman Kardon ADP303 or the old Sony one.

Thanks

9. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I did read someone comment on Logic 7 being great with Pro-logic,mono etc, but rather muddy with Dolby and DTS.

Rubbish, although it is not supposed to be accurate.
    Older Decoders you are talking about are not in same league.

I have owned ADP303, ROTEL 976, DC2, MC1,TAG and now DC1 and imo the gap is big from first two, but small from the rest in H.T.
    Music and inputs are main improvements, having TAG'S amps,dvd player would change this i presume.

I am sure you will have lots of people tell you how much better MC1 is over the DC1 have a dem before you buy is best advice.

10. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I've got an MC1 and use Logic 7 for everything inc. DD and DTS. I've said this before but it's the only bit of kit I own that I wouldn't consider upgrading for quite some time as it sounds fab for the money! Assuming Logic 7 on the DC1 is the same then I don't think you'll find much to beat it at those prices.

11. jookster

jookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The ADP303 can be got for pretty damn cheap, amplification not being an issue how would that compare to a say a Yamaha 650 Cyrus? I know it only has 20bit Dacs although Dacs certainly aren`t everything.