Lexicon dc1 / Denon 3801 or 3802

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by fatrich, Feb 4, 2002.

1. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi
    can anyone help me, my equipment is :
    Lexicon dc1 version 3
    Rotel Rmb 1095 thx 5 channel
    Rotel Rb 981 2 channel
    servo 15 sub
    Kef thx speaker package with an extra set of tdm34 rears

what i am toeing with is either to upgrade the lex to version 4 software which will give me the ex decoding at a cost of £200/£250 or to maybe buy a denon 3801 (used) or wait untill the 3802 comes down in price, i don't want to part with the lex and i would like to use my current amplification ,can i intergrate both the lex and denon into my system using the rotel power.
    thanks in anticipation

richard

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    Will the Lexicon upgrade give you DTS-ES Discrete as well?

If it does you may as well just get it done and save the hassle of connecting up the Denon.

Otherwise, you´ll have to use the Denon as the central part of the system, connect the Rotels to the preouts and the Lexicon to the external decoder inputs (the Denon has 7.1 inputs).

Or if the Lexicon has external inputs use these and plug the Denon into them, the only problem I can see is if the Lexicon hasnt got 7.1 inputs you´ll only get 5.1 sound (I think!!).

Hopefully someone else will confirm/deny this!!

cheers

3. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I also have the Lexicon DC1 with the V4 software but I just leave it on Logic 7 all the time even for EX titles as it sounds better in my opinion. The rear speakers on my system (monopoles) are not really rear centre anyway but are in the left rear / right rear positions and my sides (tripoles) are directly in line with our ears.

Darren

4. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Jase and Darren thank you.
    the version 4 upgrade does not carry dts-es discreate as far as i am aware, thats why i am looking to get dts-es and maybe pL2 without spending a fortune

5. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I would ask on the SMR forum or email Lexicon about this as I am 99% sure it does have DTS ES on the version 4 software. I seem to remember Stuart Robinson confirming this when asked the same question by someone on this forum in the past. I cannot try it as I am at work offshore at the moment

Darren

6. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Darren many thanks for your assistance i will try a search on the forum

richard

7. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The Lex DC-1 can't be upgraded as far as discrete 6.1, although as Rigman says most Lexicon users prefer logic 7. I think you would be disapointed with the decoding performance of Denon, as it is way below the quality that a DC-1 would give you.

About a year or so ago at a friends house, we compared a Rotel/DC-1 combo with a Denon A10SE. The difference was startling. I use my system for music and movies, so I wanted PLII and good music performance so I chose the Tag processor. For movies, you would be hard pushed to beat a DC-1 and Rotel amps. Even though its a few years old its still fantastic IMO.

Regards Rob.

8. Stuart M. Robinson

Stuart M. Robinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richard,

Upgrading a DC-1 to v4 will get you DTS ES (matrix) and THX Surround EX. It won’t provide DTS ES 6.1 Discrete or Pro Logic II.

However, you’ve got to ask yourself whether you really need either at the expense of the superior processing provided by the Lexicon. Logic 7 is more advanced than Pro Logic II as it was designed as a seven-channel system, but even in five-channel systems it still just gets the nod. As for ES 6.1 Discrete, as Darren mentioned, most Lexicon owners in the user forum – http://www.smr-forums.com/ - still prefer Logic 7. Remember also, that there is virtually no DTS ES 6.1 software – you might as well invest in MPEG-Audio – but Logic 7 works with every discrete or matrix soundtrack.

So what I’m saying in a rather long-winded kind of way is that by swapping the Lexicon for a Denon you’ll be sacrificing far more than you’d be gaining.

Stuart M. Robinson
    SMR Group – http://www.smr-group.co.uk/

9. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thank you chaps, i have ordered the version 4 upgrade and am sticking with the dc1 for a couple of years.

Rob nice to here from u again, did u get your computer sorted out? and wot happened to the servo 15?

richard

10. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Richard,

My Servo 15 died on me last week. Phoned Richer sounds, and they had a brand new one in stock, which they exchanged! Very pleased.

On the HCPC front, I've managed to get it working , although I can only play Region 1 discs (can't seem to set the player to multiregion). I've spent hours trying to get everything right, and its still not quite there. Picture is great, although sound is not as good as a dedicated player, and a pain to control, so I'm looking into the possibility of getting a cinematrix modded player. Would be much easier to use and may well suit me better. I'm not very computer literate!!

Best Regards Rob.